Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on trying the Gluta-C Skin Lightening Cream, but I need a good sun block and tips to protect my skin from the sun. The summer is coming up so I'm sure I'm not the only once who's concerned about this.

I've read and heard that there is a possibility that my skin can become darker than before I used the whitening cream.

Unfortunately, I have to walk to work and ride my bike to school, so there's no way I can completely avoid the sun. The walk is usually about 10-15 minutes long. Bike riding is usually about 8-10 minutes. I called the Funky Mommy company today and they suggested to wear SPF30 or higher, wear long linen sleeves, and a hat.

I'm planning on purchasing a really wide sun hat because I don't feel comfortable walking around with an umbrella.

Does anyone know of a really good sunblock brand?
I'm African-American which means more melanin so I don't know if that makes an impact on what sunblock brand I buy.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Neutrogena makes some good ones (oil free) & so does Ombrelle & LaRoche-Posay. As for which one, much depends on your individual skin. I like these 3 because they don't reek of coconuts.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Neutrogena makes some good ones (oil free) & so does Ombrelle & LaRoche-Posay. As for which one, much depends on your individual skin. I like these 3 because they don't reek of coconuts.
I bought the LRP and sort of liked it; and then I bought the Ombrelle for half the price and found it just as good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To protect your skin thoroughly, use suncreen no lower than SPF 30. I remember reading a post from someone who bought a sunscreen from Neutrogena and she was very pleased with the results; if I find the post I'll be sure to edit- but in the meantime check out the Neutrogena line!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Mireckca- I love the first-hand product comparisons (but only when the cheaper one wins!)

I realized today, that all of my sunblock is waterproof. That will probably give clogged pores, right? Isn't waterproof only for sports and swimming?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Actually, the Neutrogena won out for me too. My sister in law has very sensitive skin. She uses the LRP.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks Mireckca- I love the first-hand product comparisons (but only when the cheaper one wins!)

I realized today, that all of my sunblock is waterproof. That will probably give clogged pores, right? Isn't waterproof only for sports and swimming?
Well - mine also says "sweat-proof" which sounded like a good thing given that I do alot of outdoor activities, but I guess that also means my pores are getting clogged as a result.

I don't know what to think, other than that I'd rather have clogged pores for 8 hours of the day that I'm wearing the sunscreen than burned and aged skin for 24 hours of the day (i.e., always).

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
When I wear a waterproof or sweatproof sunscreen I have to use an oil cleanser like DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to get it off before using a separate soapy cleanser. This prevents clogged pores.

The ingredients to look for in sunscreens are: Mexoryl or tinosorb. Either of these ingredients will stabilize the chemical sunscreen ingredients and prevent them from breaking down and causing free radical damage. Or wear a strictly physical screen like titanium dioxide or zinc oxide which can have a whitish cast - not good on dark skin!

Neutrogena doesn't have these ingredients, but they claim that the Helioplex is adequate - NOT TRUE! I can always get a tan thru wearing any Neutrogena product, which to me says I am not getting much protection.

Ones I like: Avene Emulsion 50+and Bioderma Photomax 50+. Both are cosmetically elegant, meaning they aren't greasy or too matte and aren't whitish-looking, and I can apply foundation over them. They are available at skincarecentral.biz. The PPD indicates the UVA (ageing) protection. Both of these have PPD of 35 which is about the highest I can find and is excellent. SPF only refers to UVB (burning) protection.

A strictly physical screen is Devita 30 which has zinc oxide but doesn't look like Casper since the zinc is micronized. Devita.net.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Fawnie! Thanks for the knowlegable post. I will give your source a try.

·
Registered
394 Posts
When I wear a waterproof or sweatproof sunscreen I have to use an oil cleanser like DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to get it off before using a separate soapy cleanser. This prevents clogged pores.

The ingredients to look for in sunscreens are: Mexoryl or tinosorb. Either of these ingredients will stabilize the chemical sunscreen ingredients and prevent them from breaking down and causing free radical damage. Or wear a strictly physical screen like titanium dioxide or zinc oxide which can have a whitish cast - not good on dark skin!

Neutrogena doesn't have these ingredients, but they claim that the Helioplex is adequate - NOT TRUE! I can always get a tan thru wearing any Neutrogena product, which to me says I am not getting much protection.

Ones I like: Avene Emulsion 50+and Bioderma Photomax 50+. Both are cosmetically elegant, meaning they aren't greasy or too matte and aren't whitish-looking, and I can apply foundation over them. They are available at skincarecentral.biz. The PPD indicates the UVA (ageing) protection. Both of these have PPD of 35 which is about the highest I can find and is excellent. SPF only refers to UVB (burning) protection.

A strictly physical screen is Devita 30 which has zinc oxide but doesn't look like Casper since the zinc is micronized. Devita.net.
I thought Avene Emulsion 50+ only has a PPD of 20 according to skincarecental.biz's or was I looking at a different product?, thanks

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sure, Ondine, happy to help you in any small way! I like Skincarecentral.biz for sunscreens. She has samples (you have to buy them) and has a nice selection of other products too. She is very knowledgeable about sunscreens and is a great resource:

Avene Emulsion, Bioderma Photoderma MAX - Highest UVA Protection -- BEST PRICES ANYWHERE!

Have you discovered this site for Retin-A and tazarotene?:

Prescription Medicines -Retin ,

The prices are crazy-cheap but the s&h is $25 for any amount to USA. I haven't checked to see if they carry some of the lightening agents that you recommend though.

I enjoy your posts and your excellent advice and compassion! You rock!

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks, yes you're right, its 10ml more expensive than Avene but I guess i dont have a choice since summer is fast approaching
Haha....not where I'm living! It rains every day!
You still have time to get that Bioderma Photoderm! I love it - it's light enough to look good and strong enough to protect. Not greasy at all - my skin is normal but can get greasy in the summer humidity.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Haha....not where I'm living! It rains every day!
You still have time to get that Bioderma Photoderm! I love it - it's light enough to look good and strong enough to protect. Not greasy at all - my skin is normal but can get greasy in the summer humidity.
I don't like it when it's rainy, sunny, cold, springy ( pollens kills me)LOL, I guess I dont like any kind of weather. I should go and find a home in space you think but I love your postings , very informative,
for all the research work you do!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am currently using a 30 SPF sunscreen (Walgreens brand). It is non-oily and doesn't clog pores. I am thinking about trying a non-oily, non-pore clogging 70 SPF sunscreen for the summer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Does anyone use Asian sunscreen? Like missha sunmilk or hado lado or shishedo anessa whitening gel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone use Asian sunscreen? Like missha sunmilk or hado lado or shishedo anessa whitening gel?
My favorite has been a'pieu tone up block. It was spf 50+ and on their PA scale ++++. Did leave a cast though.

I also used the Japanese biore sunblock. Light and smooth. No cast, dried quick. I had no issues with it . 50+ PA++++ . I didn't like it because it was a chemical block and I find that doesn't help much with PIH or unevenness.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts