Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well I'd have to say this one do to it's ingredients, lack of whitening effect, and cost per ounce which is really low compared to other sunscreens with similar ingredients. Dont let the $50+ price tag fool you. Free shipping to boot.

They can take some time shipping though. Fawnie you ever get your product????
http://www.frenchcosmeticsforless.co...hp?prod=130062

Another good one is Garnier Ambre Solaire UV sensitive spf 50+
I get it on ebayuk for cheap.

Some great sunscreen info. here:

http://makeupalley.com/account/sn.as...e=sunscreenFAQ

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

Skincare Central-All About Sunscreens

Pay particular close attention to how much sunscreen to apply. This is an extremely important detail that most everyone who uses sunscreens fails to follow.

More good dosing info. Sunscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
peri, I have one sunscreen that ive been using for a while as well, here it is, check it out and tell me what you think about it NIA 24 Sun Damage Prevention 100% Mineral Sunscreen - SPF30 at LovelySkin.com
Well it sure looks like a great moisturizer with those ingredients. Jojoba esters and Macadamia seed oil. Our chemist friend here, NOTH, would approve.
As far as a sunscreen, I dont see zinc oxide listed in the ingredient list, unless I'm missing it or their using some fancy name to describe it. Titanium dioxide is listed as the last ingredient.Not good. And no mention of the percentages of these 2 ingredients.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
sorry that link didnt have all the info, my bottle says it has titanium dioxide 9.45% and zinc oxide 3.6%, makes an spf of 30
Extremely low amounts of those ingredients. You want zinc oxide in the 20%+ range. Will usually leave you ghostly white though. Nano particles could help with this but the jury is still out on nanoparticles. I've not followed it real close. Even at 20%+ zinc oxide with titanium dioxide you are still getting a much lower PPD level than better ingredients such as the Mexoryls or Tinosorbs as the links above describe.
The actual best sunscreen that I'm aware of that can be bought in the states might just be Neutrogena Ultra Sheer spf 85 and 100. I've read it has a PPD of around 19 which is very good for one sold here.
In case folks are wondering, the FDA has not approved Tinosorb or Mexoryl in the states. It does allow Mexoryl SX in a spf 15 which is really low. That's why the best sunscreens are found in European countries. Gotta love the FDA.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
its hard to pick a good one here in teh states, im in new york all they have here are basically poor poor choices but the neutrogena ones never state their ppd and ive read reports that 85 or more or even 80 can have an actual spf of way less than that

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
its hard to pick a good one here in teh states, im in new york all they have here are basically poor poor choices but the neutrogena ones never state their ppd and ive read reports that 85 or more or even 80 can have an actual spf of way less than that
That might be accurate. Yea I'm just going by what I've read a couple of times about the PPD rating of 19. Might be way off. ^&)$#! FDA....I guess they want our skin to age, get skin cancer.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
so we are not protected by the sun as much as the europeans, my problem is why does the American Cancer Society label some sunscreens including the ones that i am using teh NIA24 as the best or "recommended" if it doesnt even provide adequate protection. btw peri, how many ounces is the garnier ambbre solaire 50+?

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Gee, the American Cancer Society wouldn't lie to us, would they???

FDA hampers progress as well in limiting the SS that can be sold here. So we send our $$ overseas for decent SS....you'd think they'd learn.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
so we are not protected by the sun as much as the europeans, my problem is why does the American Cancer Society label some sunscreens including the ones that i am using teh NIA24 as the best or "recommended" if it doesnt even provide adequate protection. btw peri, how many ounces is the garnier ambbre solaire 50+?
It comes in a 200ml bottle (6.76 ounces)
And how retarded is it to allow Mexoryl SX in only a spf 15......like a spf 50 is gonna kill you or something. Shmucks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
and what are the ingredients on the ambre solaire, sorry the internet didnt provide enough info.
The good european sunscreens often dont give ingredient lists online for some weird reason. This one has both mexoryl sx and xl, titanium dioxide, octocrylene, vitamin E, some kind of hydration complex, glycerin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
By far: Colorescience SPF30 Mineral Powder Sunforgettable- water-resistant, non-comedogenic because it's made from pure,high-grade minerals (zinc, titanium dioxide,etc) without fillers like rice powder or talc, won't run in your eyes, sheer and non-greasy, broad spectrum (yes, even UVA rays), instant
protection that lasts 6 hours because it's inorganic (non-chemical). Check it our or let me know if you need more info- In creams,go for Jan Marini SPF30 Antioxidant matte-finish block- smells like the islands and comes in 3 tints, or clear. Good luck!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
By far: Colorescience SPF30 Mineral Powder Sunforgettable- water-resistant, non-comedogenic because it's made from pure,high-grade minerals (zinc, titanium dioxide,etc) without fillers like rice powder or talc, won't run in your eyes, sheer and non-greasy, broad spectrum (yes, even UVA rays), instant
protection that lasts 6 hours because it's inorganic (non-chemical). Check it our or let me know if you need more info- In creams,go for Jan Marini SPF30 Antioxidant matte-finish block- smells like the islands and comes in 3 tints, or clear. Good luck!
Yep, I am a Colorescience fan myself!! The clear powder is perfect to use over makeup! I use their SPF lip balm as well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts