Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually apply before bed after cleansing, toning then C serum and then moisturize. Is this time best????

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yu can do it that way, sure!

I use mine in the AM, since I use retinol/retin-a at night.

Just be sure to wait 30 minutes before and after applying the C serum so it absorbs.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
IMO and others, using it in the morning under your sunscreen is best. It will help mop up free radical that get thru your sunscreen. CE Ferulic will give you a spf of aprox.8

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you wear a good bit of makeup in the morning then it might be a good idea to apply at night since the Sea Kelp Bio. leaves a flaky residue that may interfere with your makeup application.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
I apply mine in the AM as well. I have never had a problem with SKB, but if you do, just take that out the next time you make your Vit C batch.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You guys are spot on with C serum application..

Personally, I like the extra bit of UV protection it affords with daytime use as Peri mentioned.. Occassionally, I apply it again in the evening about an hour prior to using my LED or other gadget of choice..

For anyone who finds that little tackiness that doesn't immediately absorb from the SKB, it can be easily wiped away with a *dry* washcloth.. Just wait about 8 or so minutes after applying, when it has penetrated the epidermis, and briskly give a rub with the dry cloth.... Wha-la, no more tackiness!

I won't be leaving the SKB out of mine, because it is really extremely beneficial to the skin, but there is no reason why just a scant amount can be used.. (Even 1/2 tsp is better than nothing, and still enough to emulsify everything.).. Just replace "any" volume left out with something else, so the concentration remains the same.

Isn't it great to have the luxury of DIY... Once you get a good feel for your own issues, and a little confidence with actually making a few things, you can then *tweak* just about any recipe to your individual needs..

Fawnie is right, "it's not rocket science".... But it definitely is empowering as well as rewarding, to never have to rely on *retail* again..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fawnie,

Do you mean tone....wait 30 min....c serum.....wait 30 min....moisturize?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh sorry, and is the only benefit to using it in the morning for extra sun protection and does it block out a substantial amout of free radicals? Thanks for the group that ALL of you are and for the excellent help for an interested newbie like myself. :p

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Oh sorry, and is the only benefit to using it in the morning for extra sun protection and does it block out a substantial amout of free radicals? Thanks for the group that ALL of you are and for the excellent help for an interested newbie like myself. :p
As some have said, using it at night as well might be something to consider. Not sure exactly the amount of free radicals it blocks. I've seen no studies showing just how many. Your first and by far most important line of defense is a high quality, high spf/ppd photo-stable sunscreen.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Peri, your post just made me recall something I read somewhere regarding antioxidants + free radicals.

The gist of it, was that a protective serum (C or any antioxidant type), will attack free radicals, and then are rendered useless, once they have killed the free radical... (I can liken it to when a bee stings someone, they die shortly after..
)

This leads be to believe that perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing, to apply a C or antioxidant serum morning + afternoon... (Personally I am rhino hyde, and my skin can take anything I dish out.. Also, I live in south Florida, so I need all the help I can get fighting the free radicals produced by the dreaded UV rays..

Verrry interesting! I would love your take, since I consider you the guru of all things sun/UV related..

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Peri, your post just made me recall something I read somewhere regarding antioxidants + free radicals.

The gist of it, was that a protective serum (C or any antioxidant type), will attack free radicals, and then are rendered useless, once they have killed the free radical... (I can liken it to when a bee stings someone, they die shortly after..
)

This leads be to believe that perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing, to apply a C or antioxidant serum morning + afternoon... (Personally I am rhino hyde, and my skin can take anything I dish out.. Also, I live in south Florida, so I need all the help I can get fighting the free radicals produced by the dreaded UV rays..

Verrry interesting! I would love your take, since I consider you the guru of all things sun/UV related..
Well I dont know about guru...I'm good at finding info. that makes sense.

Yes I've read the same about topical antioxidants becoming useless once used. I've read that the topical antioxidant applied in the morning is not protecting you near the same amount later in the day. Most, including myself, dont re-apply these topical antioxidants multiple times a day. I have been trying to re-apply my sunscreen at mid-day. It might well be a good idea to apply a C serum or other topical antioxidant more than once if you can.
Kassy...you heard much about apple stem cell? (Mallus Domestica)
I ordered some from lotioncrafter PhytoCellTec Malus Domestica - Apple Stem Cell Extract - Lotioncrafter LLC
I'm considering using it in my C serum but have just added it to a DIY (non vit.C) serum I've been using. This ingredient looks to be one to watch from what I've read.
Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Antioxidants fight free radicals, and the damage that they can cause to our bodies. They go hunting for free radicals to neutralize. Their purpose is to give up an electron to the free radical in order to render the free radical harmless. But in the process, the antioxidant itself becomes a weak free radical. Fortunately, if other antioxidants are present, the original electron donor can be "regenerated," or restored to its antioxidant state. Having numerous antioxidants in place to take advantage of this restoration process is key.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Ah so! You veddy wise, periwinkle!

So layering antioxidants in products would be good if you don't want to jumble up the C serum by adding more than E and ferulic to it, right?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Like which ones, for instance?
Humm...good question?? Pomegranate, Idebenone, Lutein/Lycopene (although they may turn you red
) green/white tea, resveratrol (although some say wait for more studies)
Centella asiatica, and others. I was wondering how something like a small bottle of spray/spritzer that you had handy all day that was loaded with antioxidants would work. Maybe spray on your face every few hours or so during the day. Just a thought.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I think that's a good thought! Would you keep it in the frig or how would you keep it from oxidizing? Or would you just mix up a pinch of LAA and dist water every hour or so and splash it on?

Why not hook up a spritzer to your computer screen so it automatically spritzes you periodically? LOL

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I think that's a good thought! Would you keep it in the frig or how would you keep it from oxidizing? Or would you just mix up a pinch of LAA and dist water every hour or so and splash it on?

Why not hook up a spritzer to your computer screen so it automatically spritzes you periodically? LOL

Maybe keep the batch in the fridge and just take along a tiny amount every day and not put in the fridge. Maybe have a preservative in it such as phenoxyethanol.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

Maybe keep the batch in the fridge and just take along a tiny amount every day and not put in the fridge. Maybe have a preservative in it such as phenoxyethanol.
Yes, that would be prudent! But back to the spritzer thing...I got this idea when I got blasted by that dang produce spritzer in the grocery...you know the one? You're reaching to look at the zucchini and you get sprayed in the face. Then your mascara melts and you don't look so good for flirting in the produce aisle!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts