Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Can anyone recommend a good Vitamin C serum with a high dose of Vitamin C? I was going to buy the Agera serum but it doesn't state what percent vitamin c it contains

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Your smart. If it does not list the % of C...run...run very fast.

DIY is the smart way to go. It's not rocket science and you need no degree in chemistry.
It's actually quite fun and empowering. And you'll save a fortune.
The one Fawnie just mentioned is the best one I've seen on the net.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
So I'm confused.
I keep referring folks to Kassy's serum - but here we are suggesting a different one? Is that so? I have not tried either one and truly do not know - but want to be giving advice that is consistent with everyone else.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
So I'm confused.
I keep referring folks to Kassy's serum - but here we are suggesting a different one? Is that so? I have not tried either one and truly do not know - but want to be giving advice that is consistent with everyone else.
Hooray!!! Finally it isn't just me that is always confused!!

I believe the recipe fawnie is suggesting is fawnies latest batch that she made. I don't think Kassy had anything to do with this one. I think fawnie found it and posted it. Like I said, I think, but ........I could be wrong.

It looks like a nice one, but I have not tried it yet myself. I have too many others brewing at the moment-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hooray!!! Finally it isn't just me that is always confused!!

I believe the recipe fawnie is suggesting is fawnies latest batch that she made. I don't think Kassy had anything to do with this one. I think fawnie found it and posted it. Like I said, I think, but ........I could be wrong.

It looks like a nice one, but I have not tried it yet myself. I have too many others brewing at the moment-
Oh, I see. I don't know anymore. I just told a couple of folks to start with the simple vitamin C and distilled water, and if they wanted something more enhanced then to move onto Kassy's. They can try anything they want. Fawnie's seems harder for a novice - even she had to pull some strings to get it to work, didn't she?

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Oh, I see. I don't know anymore. I just told a couple of folks to start with the simple vitamin C and distilled water, and if they wanted something more enhanced then to move onto Kassy's. They can try anything they want. Fawnie's seems harder for a novice - even she had to pull some strings to get it to work, didn't she?
Lol, pull some strings....ya I am not sure what the outcome was with that one. But if anyone could make it work, it would definately be fawnie or yourself, not this girl!!!

I normally refer people to Kassy's as well. Just a lot easier to try your first time around. Then if they want to venture out and want to try adding more to it, they can.

How are you liking your new place? Weather any better?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
How are you liking your new place? Weather any better?
I love living in my friend's condo in a lakefront community. I took the train downtown today to see my friends and do some shopping. But it is still in the mid-50's here - hardly summer yet, but that's okay. It is normally hot and humid - which I hate with a passion. Thanks for asking.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sorry for the confusion!

(1)I like the BULKACTIVES C serum the best:
DIY Skin Care Recipes: l-ascorbic acid +E+Ferulic
It's not that much harder to make and gives a smoother textured serum that has a silky feel on the skin.

(2)Here is the updated version of KASSY'S C Serum:
15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz /30 ml

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (LAA) Get UltraFine from Lotioncrafters- dissolves well.
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid - Bulkactives.com
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil (from capsule is OK)
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid (liquid form)
1 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)- NCNProskincare.com
1 tsp vodka (ethanol or Everclear)
3 1/2 tsp Distilled H2O

To prepare, use 2 shot glasses.

Water Phase:
In glass #1 put the ethanol +ferulic acid Stir frequently. It can take up to 30 minutes to *fully* dissolve. Then mix the LAA with the water and add to the ferulic acid mixture. Mix in the HA drop by drop patiently to avoid forming globs.

Oil Phase:
Mix the remaining ingredients in glass #2 mixing the vit E well with the SKB to emulsify it. When the contents of glass #1 have fully dissolved, combine both, stir well - don't skrimp on any of the steps, make sure each addition is fully dissolved before incorporating another - and put in your 1oz bottle.. Give it a good shake, and store in fridge or in a cool, dark place.. Shake a bit before use
[quote from Kassy]

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Fawnie - thanks for posting them both in one place! I'll just refer folks to that post and let them decide. I haven't tried either one and so just want to give the options available.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Fawnie so no SKB in the one you are using from Bulkactives? I think I would like that. I am starting to think the SKB isn't for my skin. Little break outs here and there. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Fawnie so no SKB in the one you are using from Bulkactives? I think I would like that. I am starting to think the SKB isn't for my skin. Little break outs here and there. Anyone else have this?
I have not used the SKB - that train left without me and came back without many riders left on it except Kassy.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I have not used the SKB - that train left without me and came back without many riders left on it except Kassy.
Lol, ok so I was not the smart one and continued riding- be happy you missed that train then.

I think it leaves a slimey, filmy feel on your face. Kind of like if you put an egg white on your face and left it. Only way I can describe it-

I don't know, maybe it isn't from the SKB, but that is the only thing I can think of that is different. Other than I ran out of face wash and have been using a backup that is a Yonka product?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think it leaves a slimey, filmy feel on your face. Kind of like if you put an egg white on your face and left it. Only way I can describe it-
Something like that sitting on the top of the skin sounds like it's not getting absorbed. It makes you wonder if the vitamin C is actually sitting on top there too, doesn't it. I wouldn't want to try it. I prefer green tea with my vitamin cee, thank you very much.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I used about 1/2 tsp of SKB in the Bulkactives recipe since I didn't have the Gelmaker and wanted something to emulsify the vit E. I think it does that pretty well so I keep using it in any recipe. Here is what Nanci from NCN has to say about SKB:

100% Sea Kelp Bioferment for Do It Yourself Anti-Aging Skin Care Junkies - Due to popular demand, for Do It Yourself Anti-Aging Skin Care junk...*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger Apparently this is the secret broth in Creme de la Mer.

I dunno about SKB causing breakouts....could be! Does it go away with continued use or not? Sometimes a new product will cause purging for me, but if I just keep using it I get over it and it works better for me. Like when I first used Green Cream and then again when I switched to RA. Did you notice that also?

I like the propylene glycol instead of ethanol to dissolve my ferulic. It supposedly helps products to absorb better and it isn't as drying for me anyway.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
You know I never purged with GC or RA to be honest. SKB is in my Vit C and my DMAE serum. Could be a little overload, ya think? Oh wait, I also think it is in my SAS anti aging cream, LOL.

I am still going to use what I have left of my SAS cream, I am almost done with it anyways. Who knows, maybe my break outs aren't from the SKB, maybe just life-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Gymrat,
Yeah, Life will do that too! And you've had your share lately too, sweetie!

If you are looking for a replacement for your SAS cream, check out the Mitochondrial Booster Cream. It's way rich, but they have the Mitochondrial Booster itself separately that you can add to other creams. I like it a lot - I use it instead of RA some nights and see it leaves my skin smooth in the morning and refreshed instead of dry like RA can leave it. So far so good.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Gymrat,
Yeah, Life will do that too! And you've had your share lately too, sweetie!

If you are looking for a replacement for your SAS cream, check out the Mitochondrial Booster Cream. It's way rich, but they have the Mitochondrial Booster itself separately that you can add to other creams. I like it a lot - I use it instead of RA some nights and see it leaves my skin smooth in the morning and refreshed instead of dry like RA can leave it. So far so good.
Fawnster..........come on, you know me, ordered that Mitochondrial cream already.

That is always one thing that I cannot ever settle on. Face cream!!
The last one I used was a little too thin. If felt more like a serum to me. Actually, since you have this, it explains it perfect. The SAS anti aging goes on exactly like the Viterol A.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I tried Kassy's C serum and found it o.k....I'm back to my own serum. Higher in actives similar to the bulkactives one. Less ferulic acid though. Hers was like over 3% FA

1 - 20 of 101 Posts