Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get rid of your black heads? I've tried those strips for my nose, but none have worked for me.

Help?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can get a facial and have them professionally removed.
You can get microdermabrasion and have them sucked out.
You can extract them CAREFULLY yourself after a long warm shower and by lightly pressing on the skin to help them come out. Don't use your nails or press too hard. They should glide out easily, you might even be able to rub it to assist in the extraction. They are essentially little oil plugs so go at it that way and don't squeeze since there is nothing to pop. Use a cleanser with salysilic acid to assist in dissolving the oils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blackheads are a mixture of dirt, oil and dead skin cells. Be sure to cleanse your skin regularly and drink plenty of water. Do not use harsh abrasive, stripping agents. It's a myth to use harsh toners. Using a nourishing oil cleanser will deep clean the pores and keep your natural oils flowing.

Try to avoid over extracting, as this will stretch your pores over time.
If you must initially extract...cleanse your skin and wrap your index fingers with tissue and get "under" the blackhead from each side and gently rock and roll until blackhead comes out. If it doesn't come out easily, that means it's not ready...and leave it alone. Using the right products will address the problem. Stop using harsh abrasive products, as they are usually too alkaline and out of balance with your natural oils.

I think they market these type of products to keep the problem going so we'll buy more product.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with proper extractions. I go to the spa to get facials, sometimes bi-weekly and I haven't had any ill results from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also, by keeping your skin moisturized you will help alot. I used to have HUGE pores and when I got on the right skin care routine for me.. I noticed a DRASTIC improvement. I get compliments all the time now. Occasionally, gently rinsing with some cool water over the course of the day helps me as well.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
You can get a facial and have them professionally removed.
You can get microdermabrasion and have them sucked out.
You can extract them CAREFULLY yourself after a long warm shower and by lightly pressing on the skin to help them come out. Don't use your nails or press too hard. They should glide out easily, you might even be able to rub it to assist in the extraction. They are essentially little oil plugs so go at it that way and don't squeeze since there is nothing to pop. Use a cleanser with salysilic acid to assist in dissolving the oils.
Hi,

Does Microdermabrasion remove blackheads? what else does it do? Is it good for acne prone skin?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Microdermabrasion removes the top dead layer of the skin along with all the dirt and oil that's up there as well, which includes blackheads. Your skin treats Micro as an injury and thus signals your body to speed up the skin producing process as well. It's definately helpful for acne prone skin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Microdermabrasion can sometimes aggravate acne too, so watch out. Also, I think that trying to remove blackheads on your own can do more damage than good. It could lead to the spread of bacteria, scarring and enlarged pores.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I agree with skincareteacher. I had microdermabrasion procedure done several year's ago -- mainly to remove acne scars. It took about 2 weeks to heal -- my face was like raw meat -- and it was sore. The younger you are the better the results because your skin heals faster. I have some minor marks where the doctor obviously went too deeply with the wire brush -- I can notice the marks but my skin looks a lot better. I had a deep frown line removed as well but was told it would return eventually -- it did but it was wonderful for the time I didn't have a permanent scowl on my face.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Mari, do you know what exactly you got?

Microdermabrasion doesn't use a wire brush. You probably get dermabrasion which is completely different.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You're right Freddy, it was dermabrasion --- quite invasive. The doctor suggested a second treatment since some of my scars were quite deep. Didn't go for that but after the procedure I started to take better care of my skin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a good topic. I enjoy reading all of your answers. I too suffer from blackheads. I'm new into the skin care field and I can't wait until I'm as knowledgeable as some of you guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts