Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently not according to WebMD's article there. A very DILUTE solution is what the researchers used.

LOL THIS is what popped up when I looked up "perezoso" heehee

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
192 Posts
i remember when i was kid my doc gav me this liquid i was supposed to put my hands in it n soak for several mins. it was extremely uncomfortable n painful. i still did it but it never cured my eczema. now i'm thinking may be it was some kind of bleach or acid.
i wonder how this bath feels on skin. i hope it doesn't itch or burn like that solution.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recall, at our hospital's burn center a bath of sodium hypochlorite, well-diluted in water is used to debride necrotic tissue in burn victims. Go to your laundry room, pick up the bottle of clorox or any other generic bleach and you will find that the chemical "sodium hypochlorite" is one in the same.

So I'm supposin' I could generalize the treatment for burn patients to use in the treatment of individuals with eczema. The treatment likely sloughs off the flaky build up of skin cells? Cool.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i don't think i would sit in a tub of bleach water even if it was watered down to where i couldn't smell it. it would burn the open sores. water burns open sores so i know bleach would make it worse. just showering with a clean terrycloth can remove the plaque build up. i use a moisturizing body wash from dial. before i am dry i apply a moisturizer to keep the scalies away. i do believe in using bleach to clean. but i think i would cause skin damage down the road. and i hate the smell of bleach on my skin. it lasts forever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bleach baths really worked for me.

For three years, I was covered with eczema from head to toe. I drew blood. A lot. I would wake up in the middle of the night scratching. Went through three dermatologists, each referring me to the other. Had numerous types of skin tests. Tried various medicated ointments. Was on steroids. Went on an immunosuppressant and was fine until I started experiencing unpleasant side effects. Found a fourth dermatologist on my own who recommended plain, no frills bleach.

Three times a week for about three weeks I would sit for 5 minutes in a full bath with 1/2 cup of bleach (1/4 cup of bleach for 1/2 bath). Yes, I would also splash my face with it and lay my head back in it. Really, what did I have to lose? Rinse, pat dry, apply medicated ointments, then moisturize, moisturize with Cetaphil cream or Vaseline. I applied Hydrocortisone cream to my scalp, followed with jojoba oil until my scalp no longer felt dry. I noticed a dramatic difference after two weeks. After about a month, bleach baths became a 2x per week occurrence, then 1x per week. In less than two months, my skin was healthy again. I still get patches of eczema (due to laziness with my moisturizing regime), but nothing close to what I experienced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eczema is the worst! Personally I switched my shower soap from dove to St Ives oatmeal and shea butter. In addition I started applying vaseline moisture conditioning 2x a day everywhere in addition to cortizone10 on already affected areas. It took a few weeks but my skin is so much better!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would borax be a viable choice???
No idea, but my dermatologist did tell me to use plain bleach and didn't offer any other alternative.

I still use bleach baths from time to time. More often on just my hands with a teaspoon or less in the sink.

At first the odor got to me, but it's really no worse than some swimming pools I've been in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Would borax be a viable choice???
borax is a detergent .I don't think it kills bacteria but rubbing alcohol helps me when i start getting rash .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts