Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Greetings from Hampshire UK. This is my first posting.
I've had three IPL laser treatments for thread veins and pigmentation and have been pleased with the results. Yesterday I had my fourth treatment and the therapist used the lifting treatment after she had done the remainding thread veins and pigmentation patches. It stung a lot more and felt very hot. This morning I have a large blister on my cheek that looks like a water filled blister. I have contacted the clinic and have been told not to pop it and that it will go away within a day or so and won't scar. I wondered if anybody else has experienced this and also what the general opinion was of IPL?
Thank you

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Justina,
I am so sorry to hear about this! What has happened to the blister now? And what did the clinic do about it? It doesn't sound like a normal occurrence to me. I have no knowledge of IPL but it seems like there is not much training involved.
I hope it all goes away without a problem for you. I would definitely let the medical director of the clinic know about it and have it documented and photographed in case some scarring does occur!
best wishes!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Wow, and welcome-

I have had a few laser treatments myself, I can honestly say this NEVER happened to me. The only thing I had after my treatments was redness, that lasted less than an hour. I am sorry to hear of your experience, and I hope the clinic you went to takes full responsibility. I am assuming if you blistered it is because they didn't move the wand quick enough and it burnt your skin. But this is just my own opinion.

I would also recommend trying to see what type of machince (brand) watts used, etc and contact the maker. That way you can make a formal complaint.
Try to google the name of the clinic you went too, see if they list what type of machine/brands they use. Then google the maker, they all have contact info.

Good luck to you-let us know what comes of this

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Before attacking the clinic and filing lawsuits and complaints, why don't you wait and see what happens to the blister? I had this treatment done for the veins around the nose and it worked very well. I got a small blister and it went away in two months with no scarring. It is normal and does occur at times. It happens when they don't put enough preping gel on the skin. It SHOULDN'T happen, but it does. You'll be alright, just apply cicaplast to the area and you're good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of your replies. The clinic is a very reputable one in London who were very helpful and apologetic. I applied a cool pack to the area as recommended by the clinic. Unfortunately even though I was as gentle as possible it popped the blister and has left a scab. I have been applying factor 30 sunscreen and will avoid the sun (fortunately/unfortunately we don't get much in UK anyway!!) and i'll just give it time to heal and see what happens. At the time of the treatment my cheek felt very hot and I could smell flesh burning!! The therapist actually said "Don't worry that not your skin burning that you can smell!" I also felt like a pinching feeling. Maybe the intensity was too high? I intended going back for more treatment because I have been really pleased, my skin has looked much smoother, even and fresher since the treatment. Not sure what to do now ;o(

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Justina

Well I am happy you contacted the clinic. I have no doubt they are being very apologetic. The Dr I go to for all of my Laser, peels, etc, goes to the same gym that I go to. I asked about your blistering. There should never be any kind of blistering of the skin with a IPL treatment. Getting little bumps, or redness, but nothing that fills with water under the skin. If this happens it is because they held the wand too close to your skin, and or the watts used for that area was too much for your skin to handle. Smelling the burning of skin, is exactly what was happening, and that is what caused the blister. My doctor recommended using a good skin hydrating protector. He also said to use honey as fawnie swears by.

I hope it is healing nicely, and you don't have any scarring or skin discoloration. Make sure to stay out of the sun and wear a hat!!

Best of luck to you-and don't give up with your treatments especially if you are seeing results-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all of your replies. The blister turned into a scab that lasted about four days and is now just a small, smooth pink area. I have not been put off having more treatments as the overall results are fabulous. I'm going to leave it for a few months and then i've been offered a half price treatment so i'll take them up on it. They've sent me some lovely (expensive!) Factor 30 sunscreen/ anti ageing cream which i've been using. Freddy, I suspected it could be my fine hairs burning rather than my skin!! Has anybody tried IPL or anything else for sunspots on the legs?! Perhaps I should start a new thread? XX

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had my 2nd IPL (aka: photofacial) and the lady who did it before had an injury so she had someone in training do it.

The new girl was very cautious and got every part of my face and she even did my neck. I thought she did a great job in making sure she got everything. She did burn a few spots on my face though and gave me a blister on my chin. I put neosporin on it and it healed up fine. I do have a slightly darker spot on my chin (2mm) but it's nothing. I am so beyond happy with the results I don't even care about this tiny spot. I haven't been wearing makeup for the first time in my life since I was teenager and I am almost 40.

Besides the blister I thought the new girl did a better job covering every area of my face and she took her time. My original nurse with lots of experience didn't do such a thorough job.

I am addicted to IPL now. It's my favorite procedure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to my doctor to have IPL done (recommended by the laser technician after consultation) I paid for a package of 3 treatments and went through my first treatment. The tech was very thorough, went over the entire face below my eyes and along my neck. The pain was uncomfortable, but tolerable. I was red for several hours, but had NO adverse effects... the dark spots got darker over the next week and eventually almost disappeared. I was VERY happy with the results and started wearing only moisturizing sunscreen and blush after as make up... My next treatment was put off a month because the tech quit. I went back in, the new tech (had only done 8 treatments prior to me with no supervision) came in, said she was going to check with the ladies to make sure she had everything on the right settings... (did not make me feel comfortable that she had to check). Said she was going to put it on the same settings, and then started lasering away at my face willy nilly... She didn't put any gel on my face as the first tech had and the new tech didn't go over my whole face (THANK GOD!!!) she just went in patches around my jawline and my neck and a few spots on my chin and forehead. When I told her it hurt worse than last time, she said that she had it on the same settings and that I am to put NOTHING on my face except store bought aloe gel. When I got home I was SHOCKED.. My face was swollen and big black stripes were all over my neck, chin, and forehead. I thought, I will wait a day or two to see if it subsides, but it did not... I had pitted blisters that came off during the night. I still have black stripes across my chin and neck and fresh open burns on part of my chin and forehead. I called the office and was immediately told to come in so they could take pictures. The tech said that it was an elective procedure and that they could not refund the rest of my money, nor did she do anything wrong. When I mentioned that no gel was used the second time but used the first time, she said, "Well we don't use that anymore." When I asked her what I am supposed to do about the burns and dark spots, I was told to ONLY put aloe gel and nothing with antibiotics on my face, and absolutely NO MAKE UP for at least two weeks. She said that even with sunscreen and a hat I cannot go in the sun for at least a month. I have a vacation to the beach in three weeks, I have two fundraisers and a photo shoot in the next two weeks. When I explained that to her, she said, "Like I said, it is an elective procedure and you chose to do it. I didn't do anything wrong." *removed by Mod*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts