Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blood sugar levels are all over the place...it goes way down after about three hours of not eating, and I can literally feel it dropping. I can't do anything until I get it back up again.

So I've taken to carrying granola bars around wherever I go, which is great because I can eat them anytime and I feel fine afterwards. But I'm trying to lose about three pounds, and since I don't work out regularly I'm thinking it might not be a good idea to pound down all that protein.

Fruit would be good, except it's harder to carry around than wrapped granola bars. So what's a good way to stay happy and un-hungry without eating like a bodybuilder?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Try taking a handful of almonds with you. Taking a banana or apple is enough enough too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! Are almonds decidedly better than other nuts? I like peanuts so much more, but everyone seems to recommend almonds.

And for the record, my granola bars of choice are Lara Bars, which have no added sugar but still taste amazing

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Almonds help you lose weight

I have a few of the Larabar's in my fridge at the moment. They are totally fine. They are soy free, which I need, and it can be tough to find.

Why don't you eat one of those and a handfull of almonds? That is what I would do.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The last thing you want to do is spike blood sugar levels. What you need to do is eat more consistently and more often with smaller meals.

Almonds and what not are healthy, but they're not magic either. ANYTHING eaten in between meals will give you the necessary boost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gym rat...thanks for the link!

Freddy... So you're saying, instead of a big lunch then a smaller snack, I should have two small lunches at like 12 and 3? That totally wouldn't work during the school year but over the summer it could...

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts

Freddy... So you're saying, instead of a big lunch then a smaller snack, I should have two small lunches at like 12 and 3? That totally wouldn't work during the school year but over the summer it could...
What do you consider a big lunch? If you are having a sandwhich etc, just eat half the sandwhich at lunchtime, save half for a snack.

I think the key is to eat 3 small healthy as possible meals, with 3 healthy as possible snacks. That keeps your metabolism going, and your blood sugar where it should be. I know for me I crash around 3-3:30, and a lot of it has to do with not eating a little snack in the afternoon. A handfull of almonds mixed in with a low cal yogurt, is a perfect snack for me.

What I try to do is 300 calories for breakfast, 200 for snack, 300 for lunch, 200 for snack, 300 for dinner. That is just for me, I am not a big person, so eating like this is perfect for me. Sure sometimes I will have more or less, depending on how much time etc. But for the most part, I try to stick with this. Sometimes, I will have my snack with my lunch if I am feeling more on the hungry side. It just all really depends.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What I try to do is 300 calories for breakfast, 200 for snack, 300 for lunch, 200 for snack, 300 for dinner. That is just for me, I am not a big person, so eating like this is perfect for me.
From the picture that you showed us I'd say that you eat more than 1300 calories a day!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

It could work if you wanted it to work...

My brother got ready for a competition and dieted right through school and exams. So if you want to make an excuse then go ahead, but anything is possible if you want to do it.

Where there's a will there's a way.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Yes! You did it! Now that looks like a "gymrat" for sure!
Cute isn't he? I want to put him in as my avatar but don't know how? LOL, I am trying, I just might figure this out.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Wow, I can do this after all!! Who needs the tech guys of mine, I figured it out on my own-

Ok, sorry for hacking this thread-

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gym rat, I like the 3-2-3-2-3 plan. I'm leaving for a summer college program in two weeks, and i can pretty much eat whatever, whenever i want there...so maybe I'll try it!

Freddy, you're right. But my body isn't my number one priority, especially during the school year--I consider my school work and my personal relationships to be more important. For example, I'm trying to lose weight but I wouldn't go hungry before a big test or if I'm about to see my boyfriend, because i know I can't function on an empty stomach. At the same time, I realize that I'm happier when my body looks good and being in good health improves other areas of your life. So it's a balance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts