Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quite a stranger to dieting i must admit, but the last 5 yrs ive put on some weight and i want it to go away asap. Today i asked myself what my goals were concerning size. I am motivated by others, as bad as that may seem.. looking @ high school pics doesnt motivae me much as I am shaped quite different as a young woman. So even with the weight lost i would be a different me. So, i thought i would create a thread where we can post picfs of celebs exc that motivate us.. I will print mine out and put it on my fridge
whatever works.. here is mine... of course others have great shapes, but i had to @ least stick with my body type

·
Registered
34 Posts
OMG…Fawnie that video was too funny. He is simply grand tabular! I am still laughing.

Pink... I am glad you started this thread I am trying to lose 15-20 lbs before the holidays and while I wait for my shipment of ummm skin beauty supplies …aka (HQ/RA) I am chugging down protein shakes like their momma’s milk and sticking to fish and salads for dinner plus walking 4miles a day. I can’t post pictures or links yet (newbie glitch ugh) but my goal photo is of Coco Lee she is an Asian singer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Kim K is a good body type to aspire to. Not unrealistic, she has a pretty average body type. Of course, all of her published photos (like the one above) are air-brushed. If you watch her reality show you can catch glimpses of the cellulite! Makes me feel a little more normal! I've always loved Kendra Wilkinson's body but I will NEVER get there, I am a pear shape so maybe Kim K is a good ideal body for me, too.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I definitely agree with Vannanners. K Kim would be my ideal body type goal too.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I definitely agree with Vannanners. K Kim would be my ideal body type too.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Why does one need to idolize or compare themselves to others? Chances are you won't look the same anyways so you may as well strive for the best in yourself instead of daydreaming or what not.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree with Freddie...strive to be the best *you* is a more realistic goal!

Weight loss is NOT easy. You have to work at it and it has to be a life style change NOT a diet! Weight loss from diets don't last. Eating healthy, counting calories, journaling (writing down everything I put in my mouth) and exercising is what working for me. When I stop writing down what I eat....I gain weight!!!! When I stop eating right..I gain weight..when I stop exercising...yep, I gain weight! No easy fix for me either..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Cardio is the best for LOSING weight, weight training is good for maintaining it keeping toned, and a healthy lifestyle is good for making you look good
I need to work on that lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need cardio and a healthy diet.
-cardio alone wont do much for weight loss
-dieting alone wont do much for weight loss

You don't need a crash diet, but eliminating junk, eating healthy, and getting some intense workouts will eventually get you nice and lean.

If you can work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, your workout will burn almost 300% calories more than a workout later in the day (at least according to many things I've read--and based on my personal experience too).

i.e. a 45 minute workout in the morning (on an empty stomach) can be more effective than a 2 hour workout later in the day. There's a few causes here: the after-burn effect, and the lack of glycogen stores in your muscle tissue, and a few other things...

At first it takes a lot of motivation, but if you can make eating healthy and working out your lifestyle (instead of a temporary thing) you'll get much better sustainable long term results.

I have also found that getting the right EFAs helps my body release its fat stores. That and frequent small meals so your metabolism stays moving fast and you don't trigger the starvation adaptive reaction (by not eating frequently enough). Also avoid high sugar foods that can spike your insulin and trigger your body to start storing fat...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I eat everything I want, but always litttle bits at a time.

I see people ordering a piece of cake, and I am like
how do they get that into their tummies? Rather order half, and take even a half of that for a takeaway

I like do walk the doggies for exercise and MUST start the bicycle again, only for my mood and thighs, that is. Nothing else. I just hate exercise and must enjoy what I am doing. The walking and cycling ( 2km only) will be the most I will ever do. Swimming also, perhaps. For my shoulders to get bigger!

But the fact that I eat small portions of everything keeps my weight steady and the same as when I was 22.
no, not so difficult sweethearts! I do not suffer at all.

Dont stuff your beautiful mouths and dont do emotional eating! Solve and face the problems and fears first. Work it out in the MIND! And get the serotonine right - it will make a huge difference. Four weeks with less sugar, and you will not be able to eat tons of sugary things anymore. The body will adapt. Try xylitol or fructose. I used to have 3 tspoons of sugar in my hot drinks. Now only 1 teaspn of xylitol. If I see sweets and eat some, I want to spit it out. Because my body has learned not to scream for sugar anymore after saying NO NO NO....this is not serving a purpose.

The same with cabohidrates (spelling). We must eat them, but the good ones. Stay away from white flour products. You can just as well eat paper.

And, have your meal not later then 7 o clock. After that - only LITTLE snacks, like a few nuts or one slice of ryebread. Not a 150 gr pack ful of crispys
no, and no cans of sodadrinks.
throw them away and dont look at them again. Water, water and nice teas or small juice is much better. Even a glass of wine. ONE! How difficult can this be? I look at my tummy and say - you can only take so much. More than that will blow you up and you will burst and its going to be a terrible sight.

HAAAAAHA!!

Oke....I really dont know all the stuff - this is just what I do, and it worked for 43 years. No diet, no pills. Your body is a temple. Not a trashcan.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ok, if I were to compare to a celebrity whose body I aspire to it would be jessica biel. Tone and a little muscular. What I am: pear shape. Good booty - but as I age I need to keep it lifted

I work out every day for at least an hour but hit a plateau in this past year. What got me through it was incorporating interval training. Alternate 5 minutes intense cardio (jacobs ladder, walking at a 15% incline, etc) and 5 minutes of weight lifting. Very low reps - lifting for 5 minutes solid. Continue for 1 hr

WOW.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Please tell us some more about the interval training, erg. I have heard about it somewhere....and that it is very effective.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not in the industry, but I spent most of my life studying and participating in athletics.

Early in my life I was the kid who always got picked last to play kickball, or things like that. I think that made me push that much harder, so although my natural abilities were not much, I managed to do pretty well in the end. After college though, I was somewhat burned out on competitive sports (I did play 2 sports in college). To stay in shape I did things like soccer, lifting, kickboxing, and mma / brazilian jujitsu.

Even though I was already in pretty good shape, I hired an athletic trainer for a little while after college. I actually learned some new things and I improved my form too (I think having one trainer just completely focused on me helped me improve). The quality of the trainers out there probably varies quite a bit... The irony of me hiring one was that all through college athletics I could work with a trainer anytime for free.

I have thought about volunteering to coach high school athletes (I should probably do it, I just keep putting it off). I thought about becoming a certified trainer at one point as well--however, my career has taken a different trajectory. I think I will always see athletics as something that I enjoyed, even though in the end, I did suffer quite a few injuries that make it harder to stay in shape these days. I think that's common for athletes that play contact sports at college level or higher (lifelong injuries that never quite heal).

Please tell us some more about the interval training, erg. I have heard about it somewhere....and that it is very effective.
Really, this is what P90x, Crossfit, and perhaps "Insanity with Sean T." are all based on to one extent or another (interval training). I have been doing P90x and I like it a lot--although it's self-described as "high impact" it doesn't aggravate any of my old injuries (from college athletics). My brother in law mixes P90x with Insanity.

I'm not an expert on interval training so that's about all I can say.

I'm jumping topics here, but I've also got a female relative who does triathlons. That seems to keep her in great shape, and although she competes, I think its more of a hobby for her. It does keep her in amazing shape...

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
evie m
Quote: Originally Posted by

Your body is a temple. Not a trashcan.

I have to agree with this.

Our bodies are fine machines of incredible complexity...you don't throw sugar water in the tank of your car...don't be putting it in yours either.

In general, the North American diet is carb heavy, as such, many are running around with pot guts they can't seem to shake.

'Diets' don't work in the long run...Life style changes do.

Must have been now, about 20 years ago, one of the hottest women in the gym I'd seen, she was in her 40's...I asked her what was her secret?

Persistence...and train even when you don't 'feel' like it. = Discipline.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Must have been now, about 20 years ago, one of the hottest women in the gym I'd seen, she was in her 40's...I asked her what was her secret?

Persistence...and train even when you don't 'feel' like it. = Discipline.
That's good advice.

Often it just boils down to putting aside what we want this moment for what we really want long term.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi EvieM,

Interval training is basically when you alternate between intense bursts of cardio with less strenuous exercise. Usually people alternate at 3 or 5 minute intervals.

For the cardio portion, you need to be at 85% of your maximum heart rate (basically where you are working so hard that you can not carry on a conversation).

The less strenous exercise can be weight training or pilates exercises. By the time you are done that interval (3 or 5 min) your hear rate should be back down. You have had some cardio rest, but you are working your muscles. With this rest, you are able to do more cardio.

The key is not to take a break at any point. You go from one exercise to the next.

This has cut my exercise routine in half. Prior, I did 1 hour of cardio and 30 minutes of weight lifting 5x per week. Now, I do 55 minutes of interval training 4X and 2 days of yoga and see more results.

I hope this helps to explain!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts