Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here and I'm posting this because I looked all around the site and I can't find anything related to my problem. I'm not entirely sure what topic to put this in but for years now I've had these random brown spots on my face and arms. They aren't moles because they're beneath the skin and they aren't age spots/liver spots because they're small, dark and I'm only 20. I have fare skin and I'm self-conscious about them because they're very noticeable.

I believe they're from sun exposure because they formed over a long period of time but they're not exactly freckles because they're pretty dark and do not fade during the winter. They seem pretty common in people but I feel like I'm plagued with them on the sides of my face. Some are even larger than others. I know sun-screen can prevent them but how can I lighten them or fade them out completely?

Getting laser treatment is not an option right now but I can order products online or purchase them in a store. I just want to know what anyone else has done about this and their results. I'll be grateful for any info or tips. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never went to a dermatologist nor have spoken to a doctor about them. I know they aren't cancerous, I just want to know how to get them removed, if it's even possible. I just don't like the way they look on my light skin; they really stick out because they're a lot darker than my skin color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they do not, but here's a picture of two I took that are on my arm:

http: //i39.tinypic.com/t97fir.jpg

(take out the space between the "http:" and the link)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
OK got it. They just look like moles to me. Or cafe au lait spots. Are they birthmarks or new? From the sun, you said, right?
Wear Sunscreen!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ughhh I never wear sunscreen. I'm so dumb >< Anyway, don't moles usually stick out from the skin? These are on the same layer as the rest of my skin. Theyre just small dark pigments that look like birthmarks but they seemed to have formed from the sun.

I'm doing some research on creams that can help fade these spots. I think I might try out Ambi Fade Cream, have you heard of that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dude wear sunscreen: seriously.

I have tons of these and let me be the first to tell you that they CAN turn cancerous.... Regular moles "spots" whathaveyou can become a melanoma or other form of skin cancer - especially if you're daft about UV protection.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Ughhh I never wear sunscreen. I'm so dumb >< Anyway, don't moles usually stick out from the skin? These are on the same layer as the rest of my skin. Theyre just small dark pigments that look like birthmarks but they seemed to have formed from the sun.

I'm doing some research on creams that can help fade these spots. I think I might try out Ambi Fade Cream, have you heard of that?
really you can buy all the cream you want, but until you wear sunscreen, don't waste your money. I use koijic acid to decrease my hyperpigmentation, but after getting my skin the way I like, in order to keep the pigmentation from returning, you must wear sunscreen, and protect your face from the sun, hat etc.

Sorry just my two cents, for what it is worth-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely start wearing sunscreen when I know I'm going to be out in the sun for a while. So do you suggest koijic acid, gymrat? How well did it work for you?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
no no jacks! You must put it on every morning....that way you don't have to stop and put it on when you go out. You don't want to get caught outside without it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wear it everyday no matter what. It is a good habit to get into. Today it was raining when I left home but I put it on anyway. By mid-day the sun was shinning and so I was happy that I had put it on. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you serious? My family almost never puts sun block on unless they're going to the beach or something and their skin is decent. I thought bad skin is mostly from genetics.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Skin cancer and wrinkles and spots are from the sun though!

Do it now while you are still young and beautiful!! Then you will stay that way longer!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely start wearing sunscreen when I know I'm going to be out in the sun for a while. So do you suggest koijic acid, gymrat? How well did it work for you?
yes, it works rather well for me. Ondine on here really knows her stuff too. So maybe PM her about products she has tried. Or read thru a few of her posts.

What I used isn't anything you should budget for being you are 20. I have a 21 year old and I would kick his booty if he spent $ on the products I use. You might be able to find a reasonably priced product. I am not sure. I used a product by Sesderma. It is a koijic acid gel.
SESDERMA KOJICOL PIGMENTATION TREATMENT PRODUCTS

Really though, start with the sunscreen at ALL TIMES!!! You will thank us later!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, thanks gymrat
. The product you used is only listed as $65 dollars and it being a one time use thing sounds pretty reasonable for me (I doubt I'll have to purchase another bottle). Another big plus is that it seems to lack the potentially dangerous hydroquinone as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong). Only problem is that I cant seem to find any other reviews on it.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion fawnie but I'd rather use a gel to place directly on the dark spots itself, it sounds a bit safer. I don't want to lighten all of my skin.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
have you tried makeupalley.com for reviews? if not try there.

yes, the gel lasts me a very long time. If you are not familiar with koijic, it is brown in color. Which means it does turn your skin a shade of brown. It totally rinses clean. But I apply my gel at night, when I use it. If you go to the Sesderma site, look at the hyperpigmentation products. They have quite a few to choose from. I have used alot of their stuff. So if you have questions, just ask.

Maybe ask Ondine about the papaya and koijic soap. It won't hurt you to use that. But ask her about it first. I have never tried it before.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You said you have brown sunspots? Try seeing a dermatologist. They can remove them safely with a laser without affecting surrounding skin. This is the same challenge those with freckles face: they want to lighten only the freckles but the surrounding skin absorbs the cream too. I think that the laser treatment is what Nicole Kidman used to remove her freckles: when she was younget she was covered in them. Now, she has porcelain skin.

As for the papaya/kojic soap, I definitely recommend it. Read Jose's thread "my gift to those with...." . Hypodermic has just posted getting great results from it too. Since the soap is inexpensive, you risk little if you don't like it. I plan to order more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts