Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so yesterday night I tried the brown sugar and olive oil face scrub. It sure made my face noticeably softer and I think it worked as a cleanser also. My only question is, does it count as a moisturizer?

I would appreciate help you guys could give me.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Okay, so yesterday night I tried the brown sugar and olive oil face scrub. It sure made my face noticeably softer and I think it worked as a cleanser also. My only question is, does it count as a moisturizer?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Olive oil is a great moisturizer!!! Mind sharing your recipe and how you used it??? Welcome!! We love new stuff!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

Sounds jummy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to know that olive oil is a good moisturizer!! My acne treatment really dries out my skin, so I really need to moisturize my face every day.

The brown sugar and olive oil recipe is really easy. You just need a tablespoon of brown sugar and a half tablespoon of olive oil. Mix it together and gently scrub it onto your face in small circles. Leave it on for twenty minutes and then wash it off. Your face might feel kind of oily for a few minutes, but it'll go away. You can use it as a full body treatment too!

I did read somewhere that the brown sugar treatment can be too harsh on some people's skin. You won't be able to tell until you try it, though. It works for me!

Thank you so much!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Rebel, want to see how much $$$ you save by making your own v. buying the Fresh Cosmetics' version @Sephora????:

"Brown Sugar Body Polish $65
Sweet Smoother
Made from real brown sugar crystals and infused with a slew of healing oils like jojoba, sweet almond, and apricot kernel, one shower spent with this habit-forming scrub will leave you addicted—to soft skin."

(quote from Sephora.com)

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Add some Vit C in that to spice it up!! Philosophys scrub is sugar and I think jajoba oil and Vit C. Then you apply a salicylic acid serum over the top. Gives a nice little polish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sixty-five dollars for a sugar scrub! Wow, that is ridiculously expensive I think. I like to make my own products. That way, I know they're natural (I like natural) and haven't been tested on animals and they are generally a lot less expensive. So who would want to pay $65 for something that can be made that easily anyways?!!

Thanks for the suggestion gymrat! There is a natural foods store in town that I know has jajoba oil and probably has Vit C too!

Pumi, if you're skin is very sensitive and you are really only looking for a moisturizer, you might want to use a cream instead. If you beat one egg in one cup of milk until it is creamy then you can use it every night as a face moisturizer and keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week. You apply it to your face the same way as the sugar recipe.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Unwritten rebel dont know if you have tried it but also oatmeal as an exfoliante is very good for the skin!

How often do you use your scrub i may be use my one once every few weeks, and then just use some aloe vera on skin after to calm skin down bit!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Rebel
O my bad! I didn't see that you were using it as a facial scrub. But Fresh does make a version for the face with a slightly different recipe:

"FRESH BROWN SUGAR FACE POLISH
4.2 oz:
Sugar, Strawberry Fruit, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Macadamia Seed Oil, Hazel Seed Oil, Plum Extract, Grape Seed Oil, Mango Seed Oil, Caramel, Fragrance (Natural Essences). " (quote from www.sephora.com)

$55USD for a 4.2 oz jar. I have used it and it's nice, but it would be so easy to make! It looks like it would spoil quickly though.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I went to the bulk store today to stock up on some things, and picked up some brown sugar. I don't cook or bake so I just picked up a cup or so - just enough for a couple of batches of the sugar scrub.

Well - it was great. I followed the directions and used one Tbsp of brown sugar and one-half Tbsp of olive oil. It was really, really, really thick - which is probably the way it is supposed to be. But I wanted to loosen it up a bit so I added a couple of drops of almond oil - it seemed a better match than rosehip seed oil, the only other kind I have on hand.

I applied the mixture and scrubbed in a circular motion, as directed, and left it on for the 20 minutes. By the time the wait was over I probably had most of it licked off the bottom half of my face - it was so yummy! But enough was left to do the trick - my skin is softer and the scrubbing cleaned out the pores. After trying to rinse it off - I ended up wiping the residual matter off with a paper towel, since I didn't want to spoil a washcloth.

It was definitely a good scrub - and I'll definitely do it again. Thanks for the recipe. Mmmmm.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi, if you're skin is very sensitive and you are really only looking for a moisturizer, you might want to use a cream instead. If you beat one egg in one cup of milk until it is creamy then you can use it every night as a face moisturizer and keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week. You apply it to your face the same way as the sugar recipe.
Thanks for this recipe, dear. I will definitely try it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts