Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

For anyone who hates having a red face during the day from using RA, I tried something yesterday and the difference was incredible! For more info, read my post in the Sunblock thread.

I used some Invisible Zinc and my face went from being red raw to calm almost instantly! Zinc is obviously very soothing. So if you don't want to use zinc, look for something else that is soothing/anti-inflammatory because it makes the world of difference.

The other thing I use is Johnsons Pure Corn Starch Powder (not their talcum powder) which I've used for years. Just a little on top of the zinc and my face felt really soothed, and a LOT less red.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can never get lotions that thick to blend in? How do you get them to go on smoothly?
Then the white seems to fill into every little tiny space and I look frightening. Even with my sunblock. It doesn't budge. Then fills in.
I look very pink!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have a prescription steroid cream that I use if I have too much redness. It has really helped me. The invisible zinc sounds great! Where do you find it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a prescription steroid cream that I use if I have too much redness. It has really helped me. The invisible zinc sounds great! Where do you find it?
Msavoy07: This is not like a normal thick zinc. Click on the link and have a look.

Sandia1: It is an Australian product. I can't believe we have something that you haven't got
. I always think we have far fewer products than you guys in the US. I just got mine from the supermarket, but you could order it online. If you google 'Invisible Zinc ESP' you should find it. Here is one:

Invisible Zinc™

Make sure you click on 'The Benefits'. Tells you a lot more about it.

It DOES leave a very slight white cast, but absorbs completely in to a matte finish which is really nice. I use the normal one but you could try the tinted one which would probably solve this problem. And it does have a funny smell which lingers, but I can live with this for all the benefits.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Msavoy07: This is not like a normal thick zinc. Click on the link and have a look.

Sandia1: It is an Australian product. I can't believe we have something that you haven't got
. I always think we have far fewer products than you guys in the US. I just got mine from the supermarket, but you could order it online. If you google 'Invisible Zinc ESP' you should find it. Here is one:

Invisible Zincâ„¢

It DOES leave a very slight white cast, but absorbs completely in to a matte finish which is really nice. I use the normal one but you could try the tinted one which would probably solve this problem. And it does have a funny smell which lingers, but I can live with this for all the benefits.
Thank you so much for the information! I haven't even used the thick, white zinc for YEARS. Not since I was doing tanning beds and used it on my face. Oh well, for most** of the years I tanned, I protected my face.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I googled it. Seems the only place it's sold is in AU?????? I'll have to do further searching!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Ding! Wrong. I found it's sold in the States. I'll call around to see if any Wal Marts or Walgreens have it. Ahhhh I just ordered some from Amazon.com. Yay.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts

Invisible Zincâ„¢

Eeww does it smell like desitin? The stuff for diaper rash? I totally remember that smell-

What is the SPF on this?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I just ordered SPF 30. Total of about $17.00. Beats me having to get out spending $ on gas and search around for it. lol

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I just ordered SPF 30. Total of about $17.00. Beats me having to get out spending $ on gas and search around for it. lol
I totally agree, sometimes it is much easier to do the online order rather than have to spend $ on gas, shop around, only to be disappointed and come home with nada!!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Do you think that the whitish cast of the invisible zinc would be too noticable on brown skin or would it blend in?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Do you think that the whitish cast of the invisible zinc would be too noticable on brown skin or would it blend in?
Ondine, I like how you worded that "brown skin"-
my oldest is as dark as you are in your avatar. When he applies anything with zinc it is noticable. Kind of leaves a purplish hue. For him the greasier it is the easier it is to blend. They are saying this Invisible leaves a matte finish, so I am not sure how well it would blend in.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
zinc oxide and titanium dioxide both leaves a whiting cast in low concentrations, in high concentrations such as 20% zinc oxide leave a very strong noticeable white powder cast on all skin colors, invisible zinc is micronized which doesnt mean anything but crushed, the white hue will still be there on any type of zinc oxide based product because the element in itself is comprised of these opaque white crystals. These are hte reasons for why zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are so flexible in a variety of fields from cosmetics to wall paint.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
zinc oxide and titanium dioxide both leaves a whiting cast in low concentrations, in high concentrations such as 20% zinc oxide leave a very strong noticeable white powder cast on all skin colors, invisible zinc is micronized which doesnt mean anything but crushed, the white hue will still be there on any type of zinc oxide based product because the element in itself is comprised of these opaque white crystals. These are hte reasons for why zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are so flexible in a variety of fields from cosmetics to wall paint.
micronized zinc on me is perfect, it leaves me with a little iridescent look, which I don't mind at all, really. I have used Colorescience for years and love it because of this.

High concentrations are a total No Go for me.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, Gymrat. I deliberately did that because many people of all kinds of ancestries have brown skin. I've seen Quebecois guys who tan darker than I am in summer & many Italian & Greek people can be quite brown too. Same with people in Indonesia, parts of China & the Philippines. THinking in simplistic terms of black & white is an antiquated fallacy.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, sorry guys! I got off the computer at about 9am or whatever it was yesterday and was busy washing for most of the day and then went out for dinner last night. Sorry I wasn't here to help!

Sandia1: I hope you'll like it! I'm glad you found some

Ondine: I'm really not sure how the Invisible Zinc would go on darker skins. It does leave a slight white cast. They do have a tinted version which may be better.

Gymrat: I'm not sure what desitin smells like but it is probably similar. Definitely a diaper cream sort of smell, but I like everything else about it so much that I can put up with it. It's because it's fragrance free I suppose, which is good for super-sensitive RA skin. So much nicer to put on something soothing than stinging which my chemical sunblock was doing, and I'm sure it was contributing to the redness.

The SPF is 30+ (but probably more) because in Aus by law sunblocks are not allowed anything more than 30+ on labels. Grrrrr. I hate that because you never know what you're really buying.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
The SPF is 30+ (but probably more) because in Aus by law sunblocks are not allowed anything more than 30+ on labels. Grrrrr. I hate that because you never know what you're really buying.
Wow, why would that be? That seems weird, they can't have more than 30+ SPF on their label??? And in OZ of all places with the weather you have? Wow!!

Here in CA we have SPF 70 and higher at our local stores.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, why would that be? That seems weird, they can't have more than 30+ SPF on their label??? And in OZ of all places with the weather you have? Wow!!

Here in CA we have SPF 70 and higher at our local stores.
I know!!! It is so incredibly annoying. I don't really know why. I might do a google search and see what the reason is.

Here we go:

http://www.skinhealth.com.au/info/faq#18

I can't believe I never thought to look that up before.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I know!!! It is so incredibly annoying. I don't really know why. I might do a google search and see what the reason is.

Here we go:

Frequently Asked Questions | Skin Health

I can't believe I never thought to look that up before.
Too funny, I was doing the same already.

so this is what I found and I totally understand.

"This limit is not in place because SPF 30 is considered enough, but because there are limitations to the testing method which lead to errors in the determination above SPF 30."

So in reality, your SPF 30 is no different than my SPF 50, since they determined the testing to be inaccurate over SPF 30. And your SPF 30 is probably better than my SPF 50-

Lucky you!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts