Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the same skincare regimen for decades now but want to add glycolic acid or lactic acid and wasn't sure when I could do that since I use DUAC benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin rx at night. Is it ok to use those type of serums before applying my rx or is that a bad idea? Any advice would be great!

·
Administrator
33,979 Posts
I've used the same skincare regimen for decades now but want to add glycolic acid or lactic acid and wasn't sure when I could do that since I use DUAC benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin rx at night. Is it ok to use those type of serums before applying my rx or is that a bad idea? Any advice would be great!
What kind of product are you wanting to add that contains GA or LA? I wouldn't use them on the same night that you use DUAC, I would alternate nights. You could also as your prescribing Dr what they recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of adding the glycolic acid formula by The Ordinary. It’s a 7% toning solution. I will give your idea a try with alternating nights I use it. Thanks! 😃

·
Administrator
33,979 Posts
I was thinking of adding the glycolic acid formula by The Ordinary. It’s a 7% toning solution. I will give your idea a try with alternating nights I use it. Thanks! 😃
I would alternate it myself. If DUAC is working for you why mess with something that isn't broken?

I'm not a big fan of DUAC I used it for awhile. BP products work short term, and will only work while you continue with them. Doesn't necessarily get rid of the issue long term. But if its working for you, why mess with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would alternate it myself. If DUAC is working for you why mess with something that isn't broken?

I'm not a big fan of DUAC I used it for awhile. BP products work short term, and will only work while you continue with them. Doesn't necessarily get rid of the issue long term. But if its working for you, why mess with it.
Yes, I’ve used this since I was a teenager so over two decades now. 😱😱😱 But, it keeps my cystic acne away. If I stop using it I normally get a flare up of them. But, I have been wondering how to add more products for anti aging now that I’m 40.

·
Administrator
33,979 Posts
Yes, I’ve used this since I was a teenager so over two decades now. 😱😱😱 But, it keeps my cystic acne away. If I stop using it I normally get a flare up of them. But, I have been wondering how to add more products for anti aging now that I’m 40.
Yep I figured as much 😊 . Thats the problem with any BP routine, it works until you stop using it. Then all hell breaks loose.
Have you considered Accutane?? I battled with cystic myself and tried everything under the sun. My derm asked me for years if I wanted to try Accutane, I said nope every time. Until I finally came to my senses..........it was the best decision I ever made and only wish I did it sooner. I have been acne free every since (over 10 yrs). Truly a Godsend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I figured as much 😊 . Thats the problem with any BP routine, it works until you stop using it. Then all hell breaks loose.
Have you considered Accutane?? I battled with cystic myself and tried everything under the sun. My derm asked me for years if I wanted to try Accutane, I said nope every time. Until I finally came to my senses..........it was the best decision I ever made and only wish I did it sooner. I have been acne free every since (over 10 yrs). Truly a Godsend!
I have never been offered accutane. The duac has always worked so well for me that I’ve never been given any other options. Maybe I’ll mention it to him the next time I’m in there! Thank you! 😃

·
Administrator
33,979 Posts
I have never been offered accutane. The duac has always worked so well for me that I’ve never been given any other options. Maybe I’ll mention it to him the next time I’m in there! Thank you! 😃
Using it for 2 decades but when you stop you get a flare up........that's not working for you, it's got you programmed to work for it. In 2 decades your Derm hasn't tried to cure the flare ups for good?? That's too bad. I'd ask him about other options.

Best of luck to you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts