Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back to a really old thread and found something that says this..

You shouldn't wear sunscreen on your face with any higher SPF than 15 on a NORMAL day, it can burn your skin.

Is this true???

I use SPF30 on my face and it hasnt burnt me as of yet and ive used it for a while.
If it is true though what would you recommend with an SPF of

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know how true that is but, my dermatologist recommended I get a SPF 30 instead of my SPF15 that I already use. I highly doubt there is truth to that. If I'm wrong someone please show me proof. +

·
Registered
38 Posts
The use of higher SPF sun screen appears to increase the duration of recreational sun exposure,giving individuals a false sense of security.So damaging more of your face.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,
I think its imprtant to know the difference between sun screen and block. My undertanding is that you can still burn with screen. but block protects you better. Does anyone know is this right?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think people use the words interchangably. In other words, sunblock and sunscreen are the same. Nothing really blocks out the sun to begin with anyways. However, if there is a difference it will be with the ingredients. Something like titanium dioxide will reflect UV rays while other type of sunprotection will absorb it. To me, it's pretty much the same thing.

The false sense of security is irrelevant as to the whether or not sunscreen burns. Once again, I really believe it doesn't. If anything, it will clog your pores but that's about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sunscreens contain chemicals like PABA, Benzophenones, Cinnamates, Salicylates that absorb the UV radiations of the sunlight. They are available in creams, lotions and serum gels. On the other hand sunblocks include ingredients like Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that reflect off the UV radiations. They are mostly available in the form of gels.

However, I don't think they have the capability of burning the skin.

Marilynn

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I think what that person meant is that using an SPF of 15 or less can offer you so little protection that your skin is susceptible to being burned when you go out. That's what I think he meant by burn your skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts