Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost completely out of everything I currently use and want purchase an anti-aging program for the best price. My skin is 44 yrs old, dehydrated, dull, with a few little dark spots, and just a few fine lines, around my eyes, however lines aren't my concern. My concern is I want my skin to look luminous and hydrated. My foundation doesn't go on well and my cream blush just gets absorbed in my skin. I exfoliate daily w/ clinique scrub. I'm getting beginning stages of "jowls" too. I'm faithfully using sunscreen daily and I use whatever I can get my hands on at night. Sometimes Revive, sometimes Clinique, sometimes Olay regenerist. Its just not enough. I think I need a full program or at least a serum and night cream. Also-
I have a tube of Tretetoin? (spelling?) from the dermatologist and it's almost a year old. Can I still use this? Any advise will be greatly appreciated!! thanks

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
We are close to the same age with the same issues. The one thing I started with that really helped me was AHA's. YOu can start out slow with some of the cleansers, toners, and lotions and let your skin adjust. I used this for 2 years and also after some time started to do the glycolic peels. I then got the courage to try TCA to get rid of stubborn brown patches the glycolic would not get. I just recently started on Retin-A and I am already loving this stuff. I have oily skin so getting dry from the RA is not a factor for me. When I first did the glycolic peel I was AMAZED at how much smoother my skin was and my foundation just glided right on. My skin glowed after the peel. Love the stuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say AHA's what product lines do you like? I know it depends on my budget..I'm just like everyone else I guess. Looking for the best bang for my buck.
Thanks Goatlady.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I used the MD Forte line for a while. It comes in levels. MD Forte - M.D. Forte: Innovative Glycolic Acid Formulations It is the higher end product. Drugstore.com has a lower end product that gets great reviews Buy Aqua Glycolic Hand & Body Lotion Online at drugstore.com I have also used this. For peels I use this company Chemical Peels, Chemical Peel, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Jessner, Lactic Acid Peels, Chemical Free Enzyme Peels, Pumpkin Peels You can do a google search also and will find something I am sure within your budget, just pay attention to what % of glycolic is in the product. If those don't work try the peel it gets it FAST. It does sting/itch but it is worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I am new to this site and this particular thread ( I just joined a few minutes ago ) I think one of the MOST important things you can do in a effort to keep that skin looking youthful is 1) moisturize at night and in the morning and 2)wear at GREAT sunscreen. You said you apply sunscreen and moisturizer everyday?--I was wondering what moisturizer and sunscreen you currently use? I know of some great brands popular where I'm from that maybe you've never heard of.

Also, how much water are you drinking daily? Because depending on how active you are, how much sun you're exposed to, etc. that could be a HUGE factor in hydrating your dry skin.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I am new to this site and this particular thread ( I just joined a few minutes ago ) I think one of the MOST important things you can do in a effort to keep that skin looking youthful is 1) moisturize at night and in the morning and 2)wear at GREAT sunscreen. You said you apply sunscreen and moisturizer everyday?--I was wondering what moisturizer and sunscreen you currently use? I know of some great brands popular where I'm from that maybe you've never heard of.

Also, how much water are you drinking daily? Because depending on how active you are, how much sun you're exposed to, etc. that could be a HUGE factor in hydrating your dry skin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Actually I drink at least 24 ounces of water daily and I eat pretty healthy.
I use bit of everything, I exfoliate daily in shower with Clinique 7 day scrub,
cleanse in PM with Botanics Skin brighening cleanser, Neutogena ageless intensives SPF20 and then I layer Clinique Comfort on Call cream or Beauty Boost by Trish McEvoy during day.. PM I switch between Revive Creme Lustre,Neutrogena Ageless Intensives night cream. I have a Roc Eye cream.

I need a new product line, maybe something with more humectants or hylaronic acid..Can you suggest anything?

·
Registered
17 Posts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Actually I drink at least 24 ounces of water daily and I eat pretty healthy.
I use bit of everything, I exfoliate daily in shower with Clinique 7 day scrub,
cleanse in PM with Botanics Skin brighening cleanser, Neutogena ageless intensives SPF20 and then I layer Clinique Comfort on Call cream or Beauty Boost by Trish McEvoy during day.. PM I switch between Revive Creme Lustre,Neutrogena Ageless Intensives night cream. I have a Roc Eye cream.

I need a new product line, maybe something with more humectants or hylaronic acid..Can you suggest anything?
I won't speak to the Clinque 7 days scrub as I am not familiar with it, but I would be extremely careful in the sense that if it contains micro-beads or other abrasive materials designed to help you "feel" the exfoliation, it's probably doing more harm than good.

As far as the sunscreen, I'm not a big fan of Neutrogena, period. I find that they spend far more time (And money) on the marketing and appearance of their product rather than the quality of it. I would recommend what I use, that's the KINeSYS SPF 30 SPRAY Mango scent. It's a comprehensive UVA/B block, no oil or alcohol, no preservatives, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, sweat/water resistant and it helps reduce photo-aging. It comes in a pretty simple (kind of ugly) plastic bottle and retails at about $18. But as an Australian let me say that even though you may have never heard of it, it's truly the best stuff available.

At night I actually just wash with a soft wash cloth and warm water run through my PUR filter, but I do apply a moisturizer afterwards, Olay Total Effects Moisturizer. It's got a number of excellent extracts and it comes in a very light, airy gel. Buyer beware however, it's a little pricey at nearly $45 per container.

Hooray, like you I also use Roc eye cream.

Having said all this 24oz of water a day is NOT ENOUGH, even if you are eating a healthy diet. If you're having dryness issues you can only do so much on the surface via topical applicants, the real change has to take place internally. I would recommend upping the h2o intake to at least 48 oz of water per-day, ideally 64oz. If you do that I think you'll see marked improvement in your epidermal appearance.

All the best, Jenn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good luck!!!! And if you can't find that sunscreen,...it is pretty hard to find in stores over here....They have a website, and they list on Amazon as well.

I'm sure you're skin will feel better in no time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts