Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cought this report on CNN re the dangers of TANNING BEDS! This is not 'theoretical' or research conducted by frying shaven albino bunnies in them either. They've just been placed in the highest cancer risk category. Apparently, there's a 75% increase in cancer developping in those who use them. This is up there with SMOKING! People have these in their homes, their teens use them & it is perfectly legal to make & buy them.

BUT...they tightly control HQ which is NOT responsible for a single case of cancer in a human. What's going on here
Does anyone STILL think that the gov't isn't scared crapless of 'allowing' brown people to have access to lightening
It is also odd that the 'self-hatred' label doesn't apply to those who are so desperate to be tan (BROWN) that they're prepared to take this risk.
Why are the mfgr's allowed to make these unsafe beds & why aren't parents who allow their underaged teens to use them subject to critique?

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/10138

Please, please pass this info along to any of your white friends who use these either at home or in a salon. the risk is the same with the home models as it is with the salon ones. Also, politely remind anyone who rags on you for choosing to lighten.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
My sister has done this for years and I begged her to quit. I have sent her article about folks getting cancer young folks who were using them. She is some places on her skin now that scares me. I hope this will change her mind.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
My sister has done this for years and I begged her to quit. I have sent her article about folks getting cancer young folks who were using them. She is some places on her skin now that scares me. I hope this will change her mind.
Yes so has my sister. She has many feckles because of this and her skin looks older than mine. She's 10 years younger. I dont preach to her about it. I only preach behind a computer screen.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Periwinkle, I'd bet you are correct that the preaching would not be effective. Some people continue dangerous behaviours to 'spite' the person warning them (who is secretly a know it all who is trying to 'control' them
or someone 'taking their rights away'). Whenever someone preaches something to me, I try to resist having a visceral response & gauge the actual information. The preacher, however annying or smug or whatever, may actually be right!

When I was a silly teen girl, I once wore a shortish skirt on a very cold day. My mother railed & wailed (mostly modesty 'stuff') & I--->
. While I was down-town waiting for a bus, a homeless guy staggered over & warned me of all kinds of things that could happen to me (health related) because of my fashion victim folly. He reeked of god knows what (BARDAHL
) but I chose to listen to him & I never did that again. Go figure!

Goatlady, I hope your sister does listen to you (backed by the W.H.O.
). Everyone here listens to you! Perhaps showing her what happens to these people would drive the message home. It isn't pretty & does NOT look like fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To bad you will NEVER see a debate like this on CNN or through any news outlet where they discuss the latest arguments and controversies. This subject would be branded too taboo and too racialy flammable to ever be given air time. Its such an obviously lopsided move by the government it actually pisses me off.

So you can tan your body as much as you want and give yourself cancer but if you use HQ to lighten you're suddenly in self-deniable mode. Well....thats just the way it is......

I'd like to see Anderson Cooper or Larry King discuss THIS ONE

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
I saw this too on CNN. I think when you explain the dangers of tanning to an avid tanner you get the same results when explaining the dangers of smoking to an avid smoker. THEY DO IT AND WANT IT MORE!!

As my boys have gotten older, I have really had to change the way I approach them on a subject that I feel strongly about. I have to use my words carefully. Using the wrong word changes the way they interpet the point I am trying to make. I try really hard NOT to say "I DON'T want you to do that" and rather say "I really wish you would NOT do that". The minute you say "DON'T" they automatically change it to "do it, do it" in their heads.

That is how I see tanners and smokers too-

·
Registered
40 Posts
I saw this too on CNN. I think when you explain the dangers of tanning to an avid tanner you get the same results when explaining the dangers of smoking to an avid smoker. THEY DO IT AND WANT IT MORE!!

As my boys have gotten older, I have really had to change the way I approach them on a subject that I feel strongly about. I have to use my words carefully. Using the wrong word changes the way they interpet the point I am trying to make. I try really hard NOT to say "I DON'T want you to do that" and rather say "I really wish you would NOT do that". The minute you say "DON'T" they automatically change it to "do it, do it" in their heads.

That is how I see tanners and smokers too-
what i mean by seeing it on cnn is witnessing a debate between why the government can outlaw anything over 2% HQ, a product that has never been proved to cause cancer in humans and do nothing about tanning beds. A debate about the biased perceptions of darkening via tanning and UV rays and lightening via lotions or topical treatments. Thats the kind of CNN topic im talking about....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I had a tanning bed and used it for years and years and years. I must say that I do not buy into this 100%. I do think that what they have sited actually is something we have all already heard about the sun; namely that those who use them BEFORE age 18 had a very significant risk and then it was elevated for other age groups. They are bad and I concede that but they also once said shellfish were bad for cholesterol (they are actually good for it as raises good cholesterol) and that eggs were bad then good then bad then good etc. My theory will always be everything in moderation.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Lol, Oh sorry elsonius, I was talking about the topic "dangers of tanning beds" on CNN today.

And yes I would like to see the debate too about the biased perceptions of darkening via tanning and UV rays and lightening via lotions or topical treatments.

Why don't you email them and make that suggestion. I think that is a great idea-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lol, Oh sorry elsonius, I was talking about the topic "dangers of tanning beds" on CNN today.

And yes I would like to see the debate too about the biased perceptions of darkening via tanning and UV rays and lightening via lotions or topical treatments.

Why don't you email them and make that suggestion. I think that is a great idea-
it would end up in the trash bin! lol

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to see that day come too, Elsonius. They usually cover racial issues when it harkens to old-style American race history. Tomorrow, for ex, AnnCoulter
& Al Sharpton
will be on CNN
about the arrest of Prof.Gates
This will, of course be a circus where no sreious, constructive or meaningful debate can occur. Even Gates & the policeman involved want to mooove on. They both overreacted. There are 2 wars & a major economic crisis to resolve. This stupidity is just a distraction from 'real' issues. I won't give either of those 2 media hounds a second of my time.

A debate about the tanning/lightening issue would necessitate lighteners coming forwards & publicly admitting what they are doing. Not the same risk (socially) for the tanners! If a white who will risk death to become Hispanic-toned does not suffer from a rattle snake's nest of psychoses why does a black person trying to achieve the identical esthetic goal have to face guff from anyone? Tanning is 'acceptable' despite the known dangers.

I bet that one day we will see lightening salons & spas in North America. As the population of people from countries where lightening is more open & accepted increases ( an ingrained part of the culture in some places) the right to do so will become a civil rights issue as it only restricts the choices of non-whites! A white can go lie in the sun w/o breaking any laws. Low levels of HQ WILL be very effective for them. Darker skin needs different formulations in order to achieve similar results. Who the
thinks that they can decide such a thing for me?
(I'll get off the soap box now...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts