Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cellex c is on the shopping channel here in canada tonight june 8 and 9th......does anyone know if i can use the cellex c high potency serum on my thighs?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Of course you can!! Some of us use Vit C in a spray bottle on our bodies. I don't see why you can't use Cellex C on your thighs if you want too. Go for it! Maybe just test a small area first, just to make sure.

Good luck with it-

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to use up what i have left quickly so i can order some new
stuff tomorrow so that why i need to know if i can use the cellex c high potency serum ...that is turning color coz of oxidation....on my thighs

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Ohara why not look into making your own c serum, i just think that it works out far cheaper in the long run, that all, good luck with it though

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know where i can get the ingredients to make my own C serums. i do not like ordering stuff online from another country. I think a lot of things online are scams and products that dont actually do what is claimed.If they were available in a health food store i would buy there

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
i dont know where i can get the ingredients to make my own C serums. i do not like ordering stuff online from another country. I think a lot of things online are scams and products that dont actually do what is claimed.If they were available in a health food store i would buy there
Ohara - I live in Canada too and can tell you what I do. I went to the nearest health food store - in Toronto it is a place called Noah's, and bought Ascorbic Acid crystals; no fillers, no starch, just pure ascorbic acid. It also comes in a powder, which I have not tried. I later saw the same thing at Whole Foods, same brand, same price. It was about $10 C for 125g.

At both stores they carry dark blue glass bottles. I bought a 2oz size - I make 1oz of serum but find it dissolves better if there is more room to shake the serum very well. It cost about $3 C.

Then I went to my local grocery store and bought a gallon of distilled water. You don't need much for each batch, but that's they way it comes and it is cheap anyway. Under $2 C.

I mix one teaspoon of the ascorbic acid crystals (5g) in enough of the distilled water to make 30ml (1oz) of serum - and shake it very, very, very well.

Method - I put the crystals in the bottle and add water until it hits the 30ml line - which I have already marked on the bottle. Since my bottle is not calibrated, I measured out 30ml (1oz) and poured it into to bottle, and marked it - so I would know how much water I needed to add.

This is not super accurate but good enough. The concentrations of the commercial serums range from 10 - 20%. The amounts that I am using here give a concentration of about 16.7% (5g/30ml = 16.7%) so it is okay if it is not quite exact.

This is a simple serum but a good one to start with. I have since added additional ingredients, which give it a boost and a more serum-like consistency. Like vitamin E oil - which is also available at Shoppers Drug or any health food store.

The important thing to do is to protect the serum from light and warm temperatures. I have not had to refrigerate mine so far, but once the hot weather hits - I may need too. As I mentioned elsewhere - if it turns yellow, throw it away. But this will not likely happen before you've used that 1 oz bottle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks myrecka.....will check at health food store to see if they have ascorbic acid powder or crystals and start making my own C serum....what does vit E do?....what else can be added?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by ohara

thanks myrecka.....will check at health food store to see if they have ascorbic acid powder or crystals and start making my own C serum....what does vit E do?

The vitamin E is a strong anti-oxidant that is not only good for the skin but also helps to stabilize the Vitamin C, which is unstable and tends to oxidize.

Some folks have had trouble getting the vitamin E to disperse in the serum - since oil and water do not mix. Fawnie has recommended the use of lecithin, which apparently is available in health food stores and helps to emulsify it and make a smoother serum. Do a search for "lecithin" on this site to find the discussion on it. I don't remember where it is.

Quote: Originally Posted by

....what else can be added?

For this the best thing to do is to go to the thread on Kassy's serum, where Fawnie has posted the recipe (post #57) - Here. Alot of folks here make this recipe or some variation of it. I myself have never made it - the best thing to do is to go to that thread, read it, and ask questions if you have any. Those folks are in a better position to respond. You should know that the additional ingredients would need to be ordered from a seller of DIY materials, which tend to be in the USA. I have not found one in Canada, yet anyway.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I personally like the simple DIY vitamin c , don't think it should be complicated since we are just going by guess work. Like Mirecka, I just do vitamin c, distilled water and any oil I feel like , my advice is to you is to start with a basic recipe to see if you'll like it or not and you can go from there, good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks ttee and mirecka.....will try a simple formula first and then add oil later.....will also look into the lecithin

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
thanks ttee and mirecka.....will try a simple formula first and then add oil later.....will also look into the lecithin
I made different formulations but keep coming back to my simple formula with just vitamin C and distilled water. In fact I make up a larger batch and use it as a spritzer all over my body. It is a great exfolliant - which is necessary especially if you are using self-tanners this summer!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mireckca you have great information, I am glad to see it. What do you do for a living?
I play piano for a southern gospel quartet that goes on tour for just part of the year, so I have alot of time to do this.

Hey - this is the internet - so it is all fantasy, right? Ha-ha-ha! Woof-woof-woof!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm still trying to work my way around this incredible forum, I have never participated in this kind of thing before...I hope I am using good etiquette here. My question is about the DYI Vitamin C serum, it sounds like it would be watery how do you apply it and what type of Vitamin E do you use in your mixture and do you find it combines well?

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by kitskid

I'm still trying to work my way around this incredible forum, I have never participated in this kind of thing before...I hope I am using good etiquette here.

KK - welcome to the site. This thread had specific questions about Cellex-C which drifted into a discussion about making vitamin C serum. That happens alot, and that's okay. But there is a thread about making C serum that would answer alot of your questions - HERE.

My question is about the DYI Vitamin C serum, it sounds like it would be watery

The straight ascorbic acid in distilled water is watery and loose. We generally suggest this as an easy one for folks to start with if they are hesitant making the serum. It is easy, cheap, and the ingredients are readily available almost anywhere. I happen to like the "looseness" - it is not sticky and wears well in the warm weather.

If you go to post #57 in that link above - it gives a recipe for more of a "serum-like" consistency which you might prefer. Lots of folks on this site use this recipe or some variation of it. (Hint - ask questions over on that thread if you have them).

how do you apply it

Once a day in the morning. Wait 20-30 minutes after washing with soap before applying it, and wait 20-30 minutes after applying it before you apply any other products.

and what type of Vitamin E do you use in your mixture and do you find it combines well?

Pure vitamin E oil is best - but some folks do use the capsules, which have other ingredients but don't seem to be a problem. It does not combine well - oil and water do not mix. If you simply add it to a mixture of ascorbic acid and water, it will float. Some folks do it anyway and just shake very well before applying. Others add lecithin which helps them emulsify. The fancier recipes (like the one noted above) has another agent (SKB) which also functions as an emulsifier.

Go read through that other thread - it has lots of advice and probably answers most of your questions. And you can certainly post some of your own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts