Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two issues I would like to address.

The first being about a certain type of acne I get from time to time.

I've browsed through the forum and came to two conclusions as to what it might be...cystic acne or boils. However, it has characteristics of both and I'm not sure. As with boils (this is gross), it only seems to be filled with blood with a tiny bit of white pussy stuff (comes out along with the blood) and doesn't exactly have a...hole? Ya know, like when a person pops a pimple... But that white stuff is what makes me think it might be a pimple along with it being under the skin and not big...larger pimple sized.
These things can last from anywhere between a month to a month and a half. Rarely they last 2 months. But it has happened.

To lessen the time, I've taken a sterilized needle and pricked and tried to "drain" it. I then clean it with an acne pad and put a small, breathable bandaid on it.

This seems to work, clearing it up faster. But even without picking at it...only the first time with the needle prick, they leave behind awful scars. Almost like when you itch at and pick a chicken pock leaving behind a indented scar.

I had an appt for a derm for the first, but then I lost faith in what they could do when someone told me they couldnt do much but prescribe something, so I canceled my appt.

There's a dermatology place that I want to go to for an initial exam to look into chemical peels for the acne scarring left behind from when I was in high school and wasn't as smart as I try to be now about it. (I'm still only 21) But before I spend the close to $100 bucks for that exam (no insurance) I need some help on chemical peels. (Home - Great Lakes Dermatology if anyone know whats to look for for credibility or if they seem to know what they're doing)

What sort of questions should I ask?
Should I ask for before and after photos?
Should I make sure they do a test area to make sure I'm not allergic?
(Will they even allow any of this...test areas, patient photos)
Anything else, please help.

My skin has gotten so much better after taking YAZ birth control and whatever I'm using to clean my face. I feel like the scarring makes it look like I still have terrible acne. I really wouldn't mind a pimple here or there, as I'm sure anyone with bad acne would think, I'd rather have one or two then a face-full.

I'm seriously considering a chemical peel, though, for this scarring.
Not only for the scarring but my pores right under my eyes on my cheeks are very open/enlarged.

If anyone can help me with chemical peel information first hand without giving me websites, that would be great. I already know what they do...I just want to know experiences and things I should ask the doctor. Also, about those pimples/boils? Please. And thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go and see skinculture.com they have these nice skin peels that suits you it depends on how deep you want the peel. Many people have used it and it worked wonderfully. I am thinking myself to use it after when my skin heals from accutane.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh and also when i still had acne at 16 i went to a derm and she did the peeling thing i am not sure how its called but you can ask them they must know. It was painful but durable after that the face is red like a tomato for a day or so. But i had really good result altho i still had bad acne it got rid of some scars and marks....if i decide not to use the skinculture then ill go back to my derm for the same procedure. And it cost me $80 in florida.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Weekly full strength acid peels will clear your pores, and with time ( a few months) they will not be as visible and enlarged. It will also help with any acne related issues. Use a blend of 20% salicylic acid and 30% lactic. This will take care of clogged pores, keratin plugs, and breakouts; and it can be done at home.

Don't do the needle puncturing. In stead try dab a Q-tip with the 20% salicylic acid as often as possible. This is also a bit risky, because it is very strong stuff, and should not be done more that two-three times, perhaps a few days in a row. Don't over do it, and only ever so little in the centre of the emerging pimple.

Drink vegetable juice ever day, stay away from foods with lots of iodine like dairy products. Take Omega 3 supplement, like fish oil or flax seed/hemp oil blends. Eat almonds and walnuts. If you can afford it find some kind of supplement with natural anti oxidants extracted from real vegetables and fruits. If you ever go of the contraceptive this will really make a big difference (I promise!!).

To minimize pores you need to normalize oil production, there are a couple of ingredients that will help. In my experience seaweed extract is fantastic for this, it nourishes skin in many ways, normalises and calms. Keeping skin calm, soft and moisturised is important; hyaluronic acid, peptides and anti oxidants will nourish and protect the skin too.

For deeper and older scarring the very strong TCA peels and lasers will help.

This really helps, I promise :)

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts