Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back of my arms feels like it has lots of small pimples. I ve had this for years. Any idea whats the medical condition name for this? Chicken Skin doesnt seem too scientific to me. lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is called Keratosis Pilaris. There are some product out there that are supposed to help. I am thinking of purchasing something to help my own "chicken skin". If you look it up on the internet you can find more information on the condition and on the products used to treat it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my cousin has skin like that, and she used to or still does get allergy shots for it. I can't remember if its cortisone shots or not....but maybe you should go see a dermatoligist just to be sure

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe you could see an aromatherapist who makes chemical-free creams ...
my son had this condition and it disappeared in two days with my homemade cream - there are certain essential and carrier oils that are fantastic for this!

Good luck ...

Lulu

·
Registered
24 Posts
Extract an article by Lisa Kovalovich:
"Treating keratosis pilaris requires a combination of exfoliation and moisturization. Many dermatologists recommend using a lotion with a high concentration of alpha-hydroxy acid, such as glycolic or lactic acid. These acids literally dissolve dead skin cells, so the buildup around each hair follicle, and therefore the bumps, are diminished. Be sure your AHA lotion includes hydrating ingredients, too; these will help soften the skin, making the bumps less noticeable. Two lotions to try: AmLactin and Dermadoctor KP Duty.

In treating keratosis pilaris, there are a few things to avoid. Skip using harsh scrubs or loofahs on the affected area; while physical exfoliation may seem like a good idea, it can actually tear the skin, creating tiny open wounds. Also squelch the urge to pick or pop keratosis pilaris bumps; doing so can cause scarring and potential infection."

Summer Skin Solution - Red Bumps On Skin - Sun Sweet Skin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Treating any skin condition requires the following:

1. Give your medical professionals awareness of newly-introduced adventures in alternative/commercial approaches you wish to undertake, assuming you are already taking medication, and a provision granted that anything in the alternative approach doesn't interfere with ongoing treatment ... "this goes with that and that doesn't" sort of stuff. If you have a good "doctor", then they'll run with you, get you off the cortosone and onto some other wonderful habits.

2. Trusting a complimentary medical professional to provide a chemical-free, well-researched product to help with symptoms. If you don't see improvement within days, then forget it. I have personal experience in this and have been surprised by results. (Sheesh ... I was trained in "long-leg syndrome" by an acupuncturist master I trained and worked with for years, right through to healing my infested with excema face without resorting to cortisone).

3. Keep in mind that a lot of commercial products rely on marketing. I've noticed that a few brandnames that work for certain people on this site have been recommended. By all means, try them. In my opinion, natural is best. Keep also in mind that some of them started in their ******* (Estee Lauder and the Body Shop come to mind). Keep in mind that anything you put into/on your body will seep through your bloodstream.

4. Also, some skin conditions reflect the inner health (or not) of the body.
It is said that certain skin conditions are reflective AND protective of internal problems. Sometimes it may be better to deal with lymphatic drainage for certain ailments of the skin.

(Just quietly, I came across a website yesterday that had a doctor proclaiming that 15 minutes of oil munching three times a day has a profound effect of clearing toxins in the body ... haven't tried it yet. All I know is that, when a doctor wanted to hit me with cortisone for the excema covering my face, I went into the ******* with an aromatherapist friend and converted aqueous cream and olive oil and some essential oils and it started to work! I now make illustrious creams (starting from scratch with beautiful carrier oils and floral waters and essentials packed with power goodies) that stop people itching, stop breakouts in their tracks, heal scars, burns, deep cracks etc, have me and my friends and other willing humans looking fab at 20-30-40-50-80 something, and want my face-charts for acupressure points that I use on everyone else except me ... lol!).

Keep your passion alive. It's the best thing for your healthy journey ...

Lulu

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get this also it is very common in people of celtic descent. I find mine improves if I avoid conventional soap and shower gels and instead use cleansers free of sodium laurel sulfate. I especially like the Aveeno shower oil.
I also find bathing in dead sea salt and drinking lots of water help, basically just treat it like a very dry skin and it should smooth out also up your intake of Omega oils. I haven't found that using AHAs and the like have helped with mine although that is what Dr's recommend, but everyone is diffrent!
Unfortunately I think it needs to be constantly managed as it doesn't ever go away completely.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think a gentle scrubbing is in order -- often this is a result of in-grown hairs and friction (like the back of the calves, the knees and elbows, and the hips). A bit of mircodermabrasion could also help (though that mght be going a bit far).

Great name: chicken skin...

Ha!

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts