Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I read this somewhere on here but cannot find it so sorry if this is a repeat. How do you test the pH of your cleanser? Stick the pH strip in the cleanser, put it to your face in the suds?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know I read this somewhere on here but cannot find it so sorry if this is a repeat. How do you test the pH of your cleanser? Stick the pH strip in the cleanser, put it to your face in the suds?
Never dip the strip itself into the solution that is being tested. Always place a drop of the solution onto the strip.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Dash - place a drop of straight solution, serum, cleanser, whatever directly onto the pH strip to test for the pH. Do not dilute it with water or anything.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Dash - I found that list of pH's for some commercially available cleansers. Is yours on this list? I just went out and bought one of the Neutrogena ones to have on hand, but usually am able to wait the 20-30 minutes after using a higher pH soap before applying my C serum.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Dash - I found that list of pH's for some commercially available cleansers. Is yours on this list? I just went out and bought one of the Neutrogena ones to have on hand, but usually am able to wait the 20-30 minutes after using a higher pH soap before applying my C serum.
Excuse me for butting in (as fawnie would say)

Mine is on that list. Do you really wait 20-30 after you wash to apply the C? And then wait again after applying it? Oh my oh my! That is like waiting for paint to dry isn't it?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

Mine is on that list. Do you really wait 20-30 after you wash to apply the C? And then wait again after applying it? Oh my oh my! That is like waiting for paint to dry isn't it?
Here's a great link that's been posted before for those who have not seen it.
Info on pH and product application wait times

I use a couple of cleansers on the list:
Earth Science Clarifying Facial Wash 5.0-5.5 ph
Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser 3.8-4.6 ph

One thing that makes sense in the article and one that I dont hear mentioned around here is the damage to the acid mantle that is caused by continuous use of high ph cleanser. Even after the waiting period.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Gymrat - being on the list is not bad since the list includes both high and low pH products.

And yes - I do wait the 20-30 minutes both before and after applying the C serum in the morning. It is pretty much the highlight of my day!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Gymrat - being on the list is not bad since the list includes both high and low pH products.

And yes - I do wait the 20-30 minutes both before and after applying the C serum in the morning. It is pretty much the highlight of my day!
Goodness I guess so!! Apply and wait, apply and wait!! Like getting your nails painted-

Have you ever used anything of DianaYvonne's? That is where your ph list is from.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Have you ever used anything of DianaYvonne's? That is where your ph list is from.
No, I never heard of her or the site. Someone else here posted it way back the last time we "talked" about the pH of cleansers. I just made a note of the site because I refer to it now as needed.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
No, I never heard of her or the site. Someone else here posted it way back the last time we "talked" about the pH of cleansers. I just made a note of the site because I refer to it now as needed.
LOL, oh. I was wondering......

I have bought from her for quite a few years. Good stuff. She sells a line called Vivant. I like it a lot. She has some nice things.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is much harder than it seems to find pH strips that test the whole pH scale rather than the middle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about the pH of your toner? Is there a list someone of toners? I quit washing my face in the morning and just started using toner and the thought came to me that my toner might be too high or low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts