Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told that Cetaphil is a good cheap cleanser. Any experience or ideas about this? Is it as good as other more expensive cleansers? The cleanser I currently use is costing me $50 per bottle and I was hoping for something cheaper but just as effective.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
arrrrrrg! Cetaphil is kvatch! If you check the product reviews on makeupalley.com it doesn't get very good reviews. I never felt like my skin was very clean after using it, but if you like it, use it!

I use Dr Hauschka Cleansing Lotion and Cleansing Cream in the a.m. and DHC Deep Cleansing Oil or Bionova Bio-Act ! at night to remove sunscreen and makeup and dirt.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cetaphil is an excellent cleanser, particularly for sensitive skin. I use both Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer daily. I have rosacea, sensitive skin, but very OILY skin! I did not try this when I was younger, wish I had. I started using it because my mother and a couple friends with rosacea told me about it; they tried it from their doctors. To use, I put it on with my hands, rub it in a bit, then remove it with a cotton face pad (I love those bigger ones). I use warm water on the pad to wash it off. It also removed eye makeup (not as good on waterproof mascara). The first few times I used it, I had to get used to the feeling because is doesn't suds, it doesn't exfoliate, and it left the skin clean, but not dry feeling. Give it a try!
(FYI, Publix makes a good alternative that is even cheaper. Not all store brand versions work as well.)

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I am told that Cetaphil is a good cheap cleanser. Any experience or ideas about this? Is it as good as other more expensive cleansers? The cleanser I currently use is costing me $50 per bottle and I was hoping for something cheaper but just as effective.
Cetaphil has two kinds of cleansers. One is for sensitive skin which doesn't clean very well, as fawnie mentioned. It is a milky color. The other one is clear in color and is for oily/combination skin. I used this paticular one for along time. It cleans well and worked pretty good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Several dermatologists have recommended Cetaphil products to me as a cost effective & gentle product for my sensitive skin with rosacea.
I've always got some in my cupboard .... but I don't like it.

I sometimes use it when I feel like I've gotten too much sun or wind burn. Or in the am only, if I did a mask or treatment or exfoliation the night before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Melli,

I recommend SIMPLE cleanser. It only costs a few founds.
It is oil-based and not alcohol based which can leave skin dry. It is kind to skin and contains no harsh ingredients. In addition it is very inexpensive,

Warmest regards,

Redrose

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
You can try the oil cleansing method. It works pretty good. Just google for more info if interested.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
The OIL CLEANSING METHOD (Highly Recommended!) - Acne.org Message Boards

I tried it for my normal skin. OMG it made my skin a bubbling cauldron of cystic zits! And I haven't had zits like that since I was in jr high! ZITS GALORE!!!

Some ppl tolerate it just fine, but for me: never again! It doesn't have an emulsifier to help the oil/gunk/makeup be rinsed off.

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil does have emulsifiers and works well for me.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cetaphil works well when you do not have any make up on. It is for general cleansing. However it is not much effective if you have a makeup on.

Organic Cosmetics

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used Cetaphil for quite awhile as I had a little dermatitis happening and its what my dermatologist recommended. I have to say my face never felt clean enough. I now use Restore by Nutrimetics and I love love love it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On the topic of oil cleansining-I was on MUA the other day and this cleanser really got my attention. I LOVED DHC but was surprised that it has parabens in it.

Makeupalley Reviews of Aura Cacia Grapeseed Oil

Just in case the thread doesn't work it's Aura Cacia Grapeseed oil. THe reviewer used it as an oil cleanser and said it worked beautifully. Lot's of other good reviews

Also here's a recipe for your own oil cleanser.

Grapeseed Oil 2 ounces
Sunflower OIl 4 tsp
Sesame Oil 4 tsp
Wheatgerm oil 1 tsp

Blend together then add 5 drops of essential oil of your choic and blend again.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have sensitive skin myself Cetaphil did nothing for my acnee however I found dermabrassion works for my acnee. Don't ask me how but it does. I make my own scrub for my face and I think it does a good job too. It's no trouble cause I mix it in a jar every Sunday and it lasts all week.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Mony I have heard before that dermabrasion is great for acne. This is because it clears away all of the dead cells and other rubbish that clog the pores from what I am told.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Melly - you got it. At least that is what it is doing for my face. I just wish I knew about it sooner. But later is better than nerver. I used to have a face full of zits (honestly- quite unpleasant and quite painful too) Now I may get 2 pimples a yr. ( Actually I don't remember getting one yet this yr.) I personnaly think that my skin is too llazy to shed the old cells therfore blocking up the pores. But the at home dermabrassions really seem to do the trick for me. My Doctor couldn't get over the difference either, he says he's recommended it to some of his patients. Good luck hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This one is certainly less than $50.....lol
It's gonna be the next one I use. Love the 5.0 ph level and ingredients.

Earth Science Clarifying Facial Wash -- 8 fl oz - Vitacost
I just bought this cleanser last night at Whole Foods. I really like it so far. It is a tad more drying than my Olay Foaming but I needed something with a lower pH to fully benefit my exfoliation after cleansing (I didn't want to have to wait 20-30 minutes every night). I'm still using my Olay in the morning. Did you ever get this cleanser, Periwinkle? If so, what did you think of it? I love how it smells but don't get it anywhere near your mouth. Yuk! Very bad taste.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts