Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to this site and have come in desperate need of help!

Thanks for taking time to read this

Im a guy of 24 and maybe feel a little uncomfortable posting here but here goes anyway.

I started having acne problems since my late teens but shrugged it off, but when i was 23 it showed no signs of clearing - if not it got worse. So I decided to do something about it as it was a real confidence downer. Ive tried alot of different lotions and potions untill i decided to see my doc, who prescrbed me anti-biotics which helped clear my acne (i am still on them) and while I am still on them I cannot seem to get rid of the last remaining bits of bad skin on my face, its like little bumps and red marks, as the day goes on i notice my skin getting greaser, whereas after i wash it feels dry and tight - do i have dry or oily skin? lol

I use the clinique 3 step programme twice a day (Cleanse/clarifying lotion and clearing moisturiser)

My question is do lifestyle changes make a differance? I do smoke, does that make a differance?
I eat reasonably healthy but perhaps could be healthier and could do with more sleep and excercise, but will any of these changes really help my face clear up that last bit? I sometimes wonder if I should use my 3 step prog. just once per day as I have read over cleaning can be just as bad?

Is a clear complexion possible?

Thanks very much for your time and any help you can offer !!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
No worries Jackson, there are plenty of guys here who care about their skin!

Yes, smoking does matter concerning your skin. It closes the peripheral circulation off so blood doesn't circulate to bring in fresh nutrients and take away the stagnant sludge. There have been studies comparing twins side by side, one who smoked and one who didn't. Guess who looked older and had worse skin!

Stress increases cortisol which has a bad effect on the skin and health in general. So sleep and enjoying life are important! Guess that's not earth-shaking news right?

I'm not a big fan of Clinique 3-step for skincare. It works really well cleaning the countertops though! Too harsh. If you normally have oily skin then your skin is oily, but you are using the wrong products if it strips all the moisture from your skin and makes it feel tight. Any foaming salicylic acid cleanser would do better for you. Neutrogena has some great products that won't break the bank:

Buy Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Face Wash Online at drugstore.com

Their Stress-Control 3-in-1 lotion is nice and won't dry out your skin but keeps the oiliness at bay and dissolves pimples before they reach the surface.

Don't forget sunscreen!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Of course having a clear complexion is possible. It just takes a little time and patience.

First off, don't get stuck using the same product line if you are not satisfied with the results. There are so many other products out there and finding the one that works best for you is the key.

As fawnie mentioned, using a face cleanser with salicylic acid is great for those with acne prone skin. Try finding one with 2% or higher with salicylic being the active ingredient. Also, maybe try using an oil free moisturizer and see if you have better results with it.

And the habits.........smoking definately plays a role in the condition of your skin. You need to try and kick that habit to the curb. When you are 34 you are not going to be so concerned with your acne as you are with ALL the wrinkles the smoking has caused!!! I know it is hard to think about 10 years from now, but trust me, you need too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks alot guys, really helped me there.

Yeah I am planning on quiting smoking for so many other benifits other than skin. I never have much bother with stress as im pretty laid back so Il just keep on top of this.

The moisturiser I use is an oil free one, and I did find the 3 step programme from clinique helped me but I feel im stuck with half the job done so I wonder if I should keep using the clinique and give up the bad habits and see where that leads me or start with the neutrogena (also giving up the bad habits)

Its usually more noticable in strong light or bright sunshine, where sometimes my skin just looks really bad and unhealthy. I prefer dull light now lol.
Im not so sure its acne as such, it seems more like its sometimes just red, pimply and rough?

Thanks so much tho, thats answered my questions ive had for a good few years!

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Well thanks alot guys, really helped me there.

Yeah I am planning on quiting smoking for so many other benifits other than skin. I never have much bother with stress as im pretty laid back so Il just keep on top of this.

The moisturiser I use is an oil free one, and I did find the 3 step programme from clinique helped me but I feel im stuck with half the job done so I wonder if I should keep using the clinique and give up the bad habits and see where that leads me or start with the neutrogena (also giving up the bad habits)

Its usually more noticable in strong light or bright sunshine, where sometimes my skin just looks really bad and unhealthy. I prefer dull light now lol.
Im not so sure its acne as such, it seems more like its sometimes just red, pimply and rough?

Thanks so much tho, thats answered my questions ive had for a good few years!
Hey, having a few good years, is perfectly normal. Just don't make those few good years, turn into a few too many-

For the dullness, why don't you try to exfoliate. A lot of us here on this site use a microfiber cloth, and we LOVE it. It gives amazing results. It might just be worth a try for you.

Microfiber Cleansing ClothÂ*-Â*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That's possibly why I sometimes have bad acne due to stress. My skin was nice and smooth for awhile, and now it is complete opposite since the breakout. I'm thinking of getting the Likas soap to help it the acne in control?

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
That's possibly why I sometimes have bad acne due to stress. My skin was nice and smooth for awhile, and now it is complete opposite since the breakout. I'm thinking of getting the Likas soap to help it the acne in control?
Eternal-get that stress under control-
why are you stressed??

I have never used the Likas soap, but it does look like it would beneficial for acne prone skin. I use a PCA cleanser and toner. There are so many products out now that are amazing for those with acne. It is always the simple ones that work-

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
The smoking is giving ur skin that dull look. I know this because when I smoked from 17-18, my skin always seemed dull and lifeless and I had acne. Before I smoked, I still had acne since I was a teen but my skin did not look dull, it looked normal if you know what I mean. so either exfoliate or quit smoking, but I must warn you that if you exfoliate then smoke you are exposing the new exfoliated skin to the cigarette's fumes and dulling it as well, so I guess sometimes you cant have it all. QUIT!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts