Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use coconut oil as a moisturizer/face cream? I have a friend who claims that if it is extra virgin and cold pressed, it is a live enzyme, and therefore can really improve your skin, and even repair and reverse damage. Has anyone else ever heard this?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have no idea about the "live enzyme" however I do know that it is fantastic! there are tons of articles stating that Coconut oil is a great moisturizer and that it helps healing. I use it on my skin and hair, so does most of my family- including my dog!.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have no idea about the "live enzyme" however I do know that it is fantastic! there are tons of articles stating that Coconut oil is a great moisturizer and that it helps healing. I use it on my skin and hair, so does most of my family- including my dog!.[/QUOTE

Coconut oil is about 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother's milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties....

This is a quote about coconut oil from a Nutiva Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil's website. I love coconut oil...I use it as a hair moisturizer, face & body lotion/cream, & cook with it. It adds a great taste to baked/sauteed/fried foods as well
. It's supposed to regulate your thyroid too. Not sure about claims that it helps you lose weight...

I add it to my dog's food and use it on his skin. It healed his dry skin issues beautifully!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I get mine from iherb, the Nutiva one. Best price I have found so far. I use it on my face with my Vacu-lifters. It's awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.

I have also heard that coconut oil has properties that can work as a sunscreen, does anybody know it this is true? I've heard that ancient island cultures used to use it that way, and a few friends have said that they use it instead of a sunscreen, but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I have also heard that coconut oil has properties that can work as a sunscreen, does anybody know it this is true? I've heard that ancient island cultures used to use it that way, and a few friends have said that they use it instead of a sunscreen, but I'm skeptical.
Continue being skeptical.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Toni09;69501I add it to my dog's food and use it on his skin. It healed his dry skin issues beautifully! [IMG said:
http://www.skincaretalk.com/images/smilies/newsmiles/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]

Tell me how you do this Toni do you mix the food up with coconut oil or pour some on top of the food? and how much? I would love to see if this would help Sampson with his dry skin issues-

Poor baby chews his paws raw!! I am starting to think maybe he is allergic to grass!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Tell me how you do this Toni do you mix the food up with coconut oil or pour some on top of the food? and how much? I would love to see if this would help Sampson with his dry skin issues-

Poor baby chews his paws raw!! I am starting to think maybe he is allergic to grass!!!
Rocky is allergic to a number of things and there is a spot on his belly that is dry & irritated from his scratching. I rub it directly on the dry spots and it heals nicely. I also add it to his food. He loves the taste...in fact when I rub it on my skin, he comes over to me and starts licking my legs...
It's a great skin softener and definitely worth trying.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Rocky is allergic to a number of things and there is a spot on his belly that is dry & irritated from his scratching. I rub it directly on the dry spots and it heals nicely. I also add it to his food. He loves the taste...in fact when I rub it on my skin, he comes over to me and starts licking my legs...
It's a great skin softener and definitely worth trying.
I will definately give it a try. Oh ya the forever licking episodes we go through with Sampson. This boy LOVES to lick!!! Drives me crazy. He will lay next to me and lick, my hands, feet, legs, arms, etc. He is pretty good though, the minute I say "stop licking", he does.

Thanks I will try the coconut oil and see how he does with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Cocunut Oil is a semi-solid plant oil. It looks like cream and contains about 65% natural oil which comes from the dried cocunut. It is a really good cleanser and moisturiser and does not go off easily.

Personally, I prefer Virgin Olive Oil to Coconut Oil. It is an essential ingredient in lots of beauty potions and like coconut oil does not go rancid quickly.

Extra Virgin Oil contains Vitamin E and lecithin. If you are put off by the smell, you could add a drop or two of lavender oil to it to add fragrance.

I often use it as a natural moisturiser and it is brilliant. Oh, and Sophia Loren [remember her] loves to use it on her skin as well.

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've read a studies that have shown that coconut oil is one of the few oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft to strengthen it. I've used it as a pre-shampoo treatment and it works wonders for my damaged hair. I've always wanted to use it on my skin but it is comedogenic for the face if you are prone to acne. I have also heard that it does have antimicrobial/antibacterial properties so some people claim it has helped with acne - I'm too scared to try as I'm clear right now anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think although it is good, it is not a Miracle either.
I think Almond Oil is the best of the best when it comes to an oil to put on your skin...add to food...it's good too

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Coconut oil is good for oiling hair but I wouldn't use it as a moisturiser for my oily, acne prone skin! And I agree with Chandy that almond oil is a much better option as it is both good for hair and for the skin. It is a light oil and suits most sensitive skins.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Coconut oil is great! I use organic coconut oil in a majority of my skincare products but I believe it to be a little greasy to use raw. Its great for dry hair though. The oils I love love love for skin (by theirselves) are jojoba and rosehip.

·
Registered
713 Posts

I wonder if it would work on my kitty Tika (she is the kitty in the avatar) her skin is so dry too...

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Try a little and see if it helps. I put some on Sampson, but all he did was lick it off-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I gave George the Cat a rubdown with a little raw organic coconut oil on my hands. He licked some off (not a bad thing) and now he just looks pretty greasy! He does smell good tho!

It might be a good idea to prevent hairball buildup - the oil might make the hair pass thru easily. To be continued...

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts