Skin Care Talk banner

Combining Butters for Cleanser

13K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  beckeydorn 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

Please excuse the fact that this is my first post. I was hoping that someone may be able to help me.

I have a facial cleanser that I recently fell in love with and just learned that it is now being discontinued. Aggravating to say the least! Anyways the ingredients seem very straight forward.

Here is the ingredients and how they are listed on the label

Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Fresh Avocado Butter,Tangerine Oil, Narcissus Absolute, Everlasting Flower Absolute

I am positive that the Absolutes are for fragrance only so I really don't mind omiting them from the recipe.

My problem is that I am not sure of how much of what to mix. The product I am trying to dupe is Lush's Baby Face cleanser. I would love to create a bar somewhat smaller that a regular bar of Ivory or Dove.

I don't know if I should use a scale or just a measuring spoon. Honestly whatever is easier is what I will do.

My plan was to mix it like this
50% Cocoa Butter
20% Shea Butter
20% Coconut Oil (not sure if I am supposed to use Solid or Liquid Coconut Oil)
10% Avacado Butter (I heard somewhere that Avacado Butter can be drying if you use too much)
Tangerine Oil - just enough to scent

I have no clue what I am doing
so any help would be greatly appreciated. I will gladly share pictures with my creation if I can get through this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ingredients:

Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Coconut Oil (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Avocado Butter (Persea gratissima), Tangerine Oil (Citrus reticulata), Narcissus Absolute (Narcissus jonquilla), Everlasting Flower Absolute (Gnaphalium uliginosum), Limonene, Linalool, Perfume.

The note on the product is the main ingredient = Shea , take that for what it's worth.

Experiment with your idea a bit and I am sure you will have no problem whatsoever duping it.

#5 ·
Shea butter is an extremely fine moisturising agent. When used in a cleanser can effectively remove dirt and dust debris. Try this recipe: cocoa butter mixed in shea butter and coconut oil. Coconut oil should be used in liquid form. It is also an effective make up removing agent. A combination of almond oil and coconut oil removes wrinkles.

#6 ·
I'm gonna have to get me some of that. I'd love to remove all my wrinkles, facial and otherwise. haha
I've been meaning to get coconut oil.
I was away from the boards for a week or so and now I am getting into "trouble" once a gain. Someone SAVE ME!!

#10 ·
I still have Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter on my MUST HAVE list.
I keep hoping to find it locally. No luck so far. I know you used to be able to get Cocoa Butter at any pharmacy years ago (25 acutally). Now I can't seem to find it anywhere in town. Coconut Oil luck isn't on my side either. Guess I'd better pull out the old cc.

#12 ·
I still have Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter on my MUST HAVE list.
I keep hoping to find it locally. No luck so far. I know you used to be able to get Cocoa Butter at any pharmacy years ago (25 actually). Now I can't seem to find it anywhere in town. Coconut Oil luck isn't on my side either. Guess I'd better pull out the old cc.
Becky, do you have a health food store in your area? I actually saw coconut oil at Walmart and Krogers the other day -- much to my surprise.

#13 ·
I will check out WM and Health Food Store. Our HFS isn't so great. She carries very few things and I'm even suprised she gets much business at all but I'm sure she's doing ok or wouldn't still be there.
I know she has a few oils. She also carries Bragg's products. I just don't find her supplements and such to be any different that WM.
She's got a great deal of choices for EOs. I did buy a tiny bottle of Jojoba way back and found she charged more than TWICE what I could get it for online, even considering shipping.

#16 ·
Coconut oil, used in Indian food perhaps?? I'm not sure I've ever had it. DH isn't willing to try different ethnic foods, besides Mexican and Chinese. I love Japanese food and want to try Thia.
At this rate I'll never run out of oil for cooking OR wearing.

#19 ·
i can find LouAna coconut oil in the baking section of almost any grocery store of any size, and also at wal-mart. it's usually near the olive oil. if you have a whole foods you can find virgin coconut oil. i LOVE shea butter, extremely moisturizing. cocoa butter will help keep your shea butter from melting at anything over room temp. let us know how this turns out for you, sounds like a nice recipe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.