Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've read some amazing reviews of DA in comparison with many of our tried and tested HQ products. A few things to note, in those tests that you read, they do NOT use Retin-A when they test the DA. In comparison, we might actually be getting quicker results by combining HQ/RA than using DA alone already. This is just speculation though, since DA is more out of reach than HQ/RA and more expensive, why pay more for the mule when you already have a reliable horse. However, if the clinical results are anything to go by alone, DA shows promise. In time when we test it ourselves and combine with RA then we can make a fair comparison of the results they got and what we currently get.

For compounders, there is a simple formula used to make ANY percentage of any product when working with masses. It is given as:

Percent Composition (%) = Mass of Active Ingredient (in grams) / Mass of Desired Mixture (in grams)x 100

So if you wanted to make a 3% Composition of DA in some solvent (carrier or lotion) to make a mixture of total mass 50g.

You want to find the mass of active ingredient in other words so substitute the mass of mixture and the percentage you want (Note that this could literally be anything you want, whether you want to make a small 50g bottle or start manufacturing the stuff) into the formula as follows:

3% = Mass of Active Ingredient / 50 x 100

Therefore:
Mass of Active Ingredient = 3/100 * 50
= 1.5g

Hence;
It would take 1.5g of DeoxyArbutin to be dissolved in a 50g solvent to produce a bottle of 3% Concentration DA.

This is the most direct method of preparing such compounds with apparatus available in a home *******
It should not be ignored that the resultant mixture is 51.5g, this is just the limitation of the method. You made approx 50g of 3%.

Have fun! And don't forget, be very careful when handling any type of chemical. Note that the percentage purity of a topical substance (or any substance you put into/ on your body) should be of high purity. Greater than 99%.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also, dA is acid-sensitive and so your formulation needs to be buffered above a pH=7. Adding BHA and/or BHT is important so the cream does not discolor-
If you have a way to monitor its stability ( like a simple TLC plate) you should keep your cream in the refrigerator and test it weekly.
If it turns pink- you should discard it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also, dA is acid-sensitive and so your formulation needs to be buffered above a pH=7. Adding BHA and/or BHT is important so the cream does not discolor-
If you have a way to monitor its stability ( like a simple TLC plate) you should keep your cream in the refrigerator and test it weekly.
If it turns pink- you should discard it.
What is a BHT? I know an example of BHA is salicylic acid. Okay to use litmus papers right? This is what I use when making preparations. And as for arbutin i know its pH level must be stable for it to remain active.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
BHA ( butylated hydroxy anisole) and BHT ( butylated hydroxy toluene) are free-radical scavengers and serve as anti-oxidants. when you mix these things together- in a mixer or blender- is there any way you can use an inert atmosphere?

·
Registered
395 Posts
BHA ( butylated hydroxy anisole) and BHT ( butylated hydroxy toluene) are free-radical scavengers and serve as anti-oxidants. when you mix these things together- in a mixer or blender- is there any way you can use an inert atmosphere?
Thanks for clarifying. Youre very helpful
So, these preservatives - what quantity would you recommend for stablisation?

re my environment/atmosphere, that'll be a no, which does make my actives somewhat susceptible to oxidisation. However, I keep exposure time to a bare minimum before transferring it to the carrier.

Solutions I have used have provided good results. So, what temp do you mix your actives at/what phase?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody get any DA yet? Ondine, i've got my hands on some mono, doing a test patch underneath my arms, lets see what happens. I'm going to be trying it for about 5 months, on an area about 2x2 inches under both arms. I'll keep in touch

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought it from a pharmacist i know. Benoquin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you all have any analytical equipment? If you have access to an HPLC/mass spec it is easy to tell if you have authentic materials, but if not that can be a challenge.
I usually mix at ambient temperature by the way Ninasky.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
My old job - sloan kettering rockefeller research lab has an HPLC machine that I used to run drugs through regularly and use the data to derive the limits of detertion, limits of quantitation, ruggedness, and accuracy. We also used regression analysis to determine the suitability of the assay for each chemical study. I think I can go back or ask my buddies there to check for authenticity, thanks for reminding me, its been a long time since Ive been in a lab.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
524 Posts
yeah Mitch where r u getting deoxyarbutin for ur studies from? i know u patented it and donated the patent to Girindus but where are these people including Saja Hajed and others getting deoxyarbutin from, Girindus/GirlLite, and at what cost? on this forum alone, there seems to be at least 2 accounts talking about deoxyarbutin somewhat quite officially-sounding (MAdeLong and dA100) so far already despite years of quiteness about this compound. why now?

i find it strange 5 yrs hav passed and there is only one niche product that contains it so far. alpha-arbutin was once like this, with shisheido's patent, and costing thousands of dollars per kilo, now just look at the industry, everyone's making, distributing, retailing even raw alpha-arbutin sometimes less than a dollar a gram despite that shisheido patent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
grin- I am a chemist- I synthesized the material myself! But- that was many years ago... dA100 ( Grindus' name for deoxyArbutin by the way) is, I think, a chemist or the like at Grindus in Germany. I stumbled across this site when I was looking on google for a link to a talk I gave on dA and the dA class of molecules ( for example 2-F dA which is more potent in vivo than dA itself) and I saw how people were wresting with what to do to lighten their skin, so I thought I'd give what perspective I can.
However, I have learned a lot from just the past few weeks- more than I have really helped anyone

·
Registered
524 Posts
yeah i see u found that thread and replied/bumped it just now.

hopefully the same way bimatoprost may be used more widespread for the scalp, perhaps deoxyarbutin which now seems to just be in an anti-aging product, will actually be used more broadly for skin lightening.

so much so that from that article i posted about it, it seems GSK may consider acquiring Allergan even more favorably if bimaprost proves to have alotta hair-raising value.

·
Registered
208 Posts
grin- I am a chemist- I synthesized the material myself! But- that was many years ago... dA100 ( Grindus' name for deoxyArbutin by the way) is, I think, a chemist or the like at Grindus in Germany. I stumbled across this site when I was looking on google for a link to a talk I gave on dA and the dA class of molecules ( for example 2-F dA which is more potent in vivo than dA itself) and I saw how people were wresting with what to do to lighten their skin, so I thought I'd give what perspective I can.
However, I have learned a lot from just the past few weeks- more than I have really helped anyone
I know. Real life stories and real people largely enhance clinical training. Consider it a living lab.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts