Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. first let me tell you about my situation. I never really thought about skin care, as all young people do , i took my youthfull skin for granted.

About 4 years ago i was diagnosed with Chrinic Kidney disease which was not a big deal since i hae been dealing with kidney problems all my life and lost my right kidney when i was 6 weeks old. So back to 4 years ago, i had to have several surgies and was basically house and bed bound for 4 years.

Now that i'm done with all the medical stuff i want to get my youthfull skin back. The only advantage of being house bound for 4 years is that my face never saw the sun and i think it helped preserve some of the youthfull look.

Now i want to really improve my skin. I feel since i lost 4 years of my life i am taking 4 years of my age and i would love for my skin to refelct that. I am 39 and want my skin to look like i am 30-35. I currently have bought the NeoStrata products that have Glycolic Acid and products by ROC that have Retinal A ( i don't know the %) and i have Neo strata Vitamin C and Firming cream.
My first question is that i am rotaing the products but can you put 2 different products on your face at the same time. Such as the Roc Retinal A and Vitamin C or Roc retinal A and the firming cream?
My biggest problem is dull skin and wrinkles. Not super bad wrinkles but are heavy around my eyes and forhead. I think some of this is form the weight gain that the medicaiton i was on caused. On this medication i gained 65 lbs and won't have a problem losing it since i used to do fitness competitons and i can shake weight fast.
After reading tons of the forums i have decdided that i will use up these products and then move on to the hightr % retinal-A. I don't think my skin could take it right now because i read about skin peeling (how do you go to work if you skin is peeling?)
One final question before i go. I read about Eliabeth Arden Prevera and i was wondering if anyone has used this and does it work? Also Elizabeth Arden has a plumping product that is supposed to give you temporary and instant firmness and wanted to know if this works and if anyone has tried these form EA or any toher product line.

Sorry for the long post but now that i've found this forum I'll be a dedicated poster. I can't wait to learn from all of your
wisdom and can't wait to learn how to improve my skin.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Welcome southern belle-

I am sorry to hear of your medical condition, I hope you are on your way to healthy.

When you do a chemical peel you really could plan around a weekend to get it done. Maybe do it on a Wed night, you might be red and a little swollen for work on Thursday, but totally manageable. By Saturday hopefully peeling. If you plan it right you could totally make it work, if you needed too. I applied a peel last night. If I had to go anywhere today, I could have, but chose not too. The less you moisturize your peel the faster you will the to the peeling process.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Southern Belle,
Glad to hear the worst of your medical problems are behind you...
I can't answer all your questions (haven't tried Prevage but heard some good things), but I'll share some of my FAVORITE things for glowing, youthful skin...
I use an OTC Retinol product at night (I understand you shouldn't use it during the day due to sun sensitivity issues). I find this to be sufficient thus far and won't bother with Retin-A until I feel that this isn't strong enough. Presently, I'm using Natural Advantage for that.
I use a vitamin C serum called Professional solutions in the morning
I feel the topical vitamin A and vitamin C have the most solid research behind them.
Before I apply the vitamin C serum but after I wash my face, I apply a mask I make out of Stevia extract and water. I leave it on for 20-30 minutes if I can or just until it dries, then rinse it off thoroughly. I find this makes my skin glow. It also has a tightening effect.
Just recently, I received a microfiber cleansing cloth and I just LOVE it. It gently exfoliates and polishes the skin. It makes you glow. It looks like you've just had a facial!
I am also a big believer in facial excercises (hands down, the best thing I've ever done for my skin)...
I keep a 30% glycolic acid peel on hand and use that every few months (when I do, I skip the Retinol for a couple of nights and just use a vitamin E cream). I only leave that on for maybe a minute. I don't really peel much at all but I get rid of the dead skin cells...
It sounds like a lot, but it's part of my routine and I'm used to it.
As far as combining products goes, you want to be very careful not to injure your skin. Be very gentle with exfoliating products. I personally would not use an AHA product every day especially if I were using Retinol. Some people might benefit from doing that, but for me, I think it would be too harsh.
My advice is to stick with actives that have the most research behind them (vitamin A and C topical products); do not over exfoliate your skin but do gently exfoliate regularly; wear sunscreen year 'round, rain or shine...Really examine your skin well for signs of improvement and adjust as needed (if the Retinol is not strong enough, upgrade to Retin-A... if the Vitamin C isn't strong enough, use a higher percentage); use a gentle moisturizer as needed (if you don't need it, don't use it because if your natural oils in your skin are doing their job, let them do it); eat lots of fruits and vegetables and get as much quality sleep as you can.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Toni, excuse me for being a bit ignorant but the product name is Vitamin C + 25% Serum, what is the 25%, if it is 25% Vitamin C then cant they just call it Vitamin C 25% serum instead of adding the "and" sign?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Toni, excuse me for being a bit ignorant but the product name is Vitamin C + 25% Serum, what is the 25%, if it is 25% Vitamin C then cant they just call it Vitamin C 25% serum instead of adding the "and" sign?
I agree....nothing in the ingredient lists the percentage of Vitamin C. I was tempted to purchase this way back when I first joined SCT but I purchased Cellular Skin RX Vitamin C serum instead.Vitamin C Serum - L Ascorbic Acid Skincare - Cellular Skin Rx - C+ Firming Serum

...I read so many posts from people singing praises for Vit C on this forum but was too scared to make my own since I wasn't sure what I was doing. Since I've learned so much from all of you....I am more skeptical and definitely read the ingredients before considering.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not tigerlilly but I have heard of this product and was tempted to purchase but instead make my own vit c serum

I think this is it...
DermatologistRx: Vitamin C+ 25% Serum from Professional Solutions
Vitamin C+ 25% Serum from Professional Solutions at SkinPlanet.com

Yep, I believe that's the same product, only I found it at dermatologistrx dot com...It's relatively cheap compared to something like Cell-Ex C....I am frankly too lazy to make my own serum...

·
Registered
419 Posts

Yep, I believe that's the same product, only I found it at dermatologistrx dot com...It's relatively cheap compared to something like Cell-Ex C....I am frankly too lazy to make my own serum...
Tigerlilly is it 25% vitamin C or vitamin C plus 25% other....??? Curious. I checked the ingredients and it doesn't state how much of C is actually in this serum....
I make the simple C serum.
just L -Absorbic Acid powder, water and base gel & vitamin E. I don't have to store it long as I make enough for 2 day supply. And it's so cheap that I lather it on my arms & legs as well. I use to use the Cellular Skin RX Vitamin C serum that had 12% potency ..worked great cause I added Vitamin E to it but it wasn't cost effective.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tigerlilly is it 25% vitamin C or vitamin C plus 25% other....??? Curious. I checked the ingredients and it doesn't state how much of C is actually in this serum....
I make the simple C serum.
just L -Absorbic Acid powder, water and base gel & vitamin E. I don't have to store it long as I make enough for 2 day supply. And it's so cheap that I lather it on my arms & legs as well. I use to use the Cellular Skin RX Vitamin C serum that had 12% potency ..worked great cause I added Vitamin E to it but it wasn't cost effective.
You and LNL make a good point!!! I didn't even notice that C+ gimmick....I will be watching for that. What I look for in a good C serum is stability...This one has a decent stability, I think...(I have slacked off with vitamin C for the last couple of months) I just got this stuff, so....we'll see...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Tigerlilly for the advice.

As far as the Glycolic acids i use are very low percentages and the moisutizer i use does have it in it and i have really seen a huge improvement in my skin in just the last week using it. I exfolialte 2 a week but use a very gentle product. When i apply the product i'm using with Retinol (Roc is what i use) it burned my skin at first so i only did it every other day so i don't think i could handle anything stronger. The products i use the have Glycolic acids is called Neo Strata and the percentage is anywhere from 4 to 10% no where near the 30% peel you use so i think it's ok to use it daily. The Vitamin C I use is in a capsule and it does help my skin look "fresher". The main concern is i want something that firms up my face.

I'm totally scared to use a 30% peel. Can i damage my skin permantley if i use it. And what would you say is the best benefit you've seen from it...reduced wrinkles, firmer skin, brighter skin or etc? I was told not to do a peel above 15% without a dematologist help. Is that just a way to drive business to the dermatologist? Also I'm looking into Botox and some of the other new procedure's that are not surgery to help improve my skin.

Thank you everyone for wishing me well on my illnes. Yes i'm doing so much better. As i mentioned before the medication i was on made me gain a huge amount of weight and i was cleared last month for workouts and i've already gone down 25 lbs and 2 dress sizes. But i still have a way to go. I think onnce i start to get my health back i think my skin will improve as well. I know that keeping fit and eating right help your skin look younger.

As far as rotating the products i have....i guess i assumed that i had to use them all every day to get the benifts of them. From the research i've done there are 3 tested and proved things that work for your skin. They are Vitamin C, Retinol and Glycolic Acids. So i have prodcuts that have that in them. As i said before i use Neostrata for the Gycolic acid (the % is from 4 to8 so they can be used daily) and the Vitamin C and i use Roc for the retinol. I guess i thought i had to have one of each of those 3 things on my skin everyday to improve it. But now i'm going to start to rotate them. I will let everyone know how these products work for me. I'm also going to get some of those "plumping" products form Elizabeth Arden to see if it truly gives you instant plump fort the night. I will keep you posted about that as well

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you are not comfortable with it or don't feel confident that you can do it yourself, go to a good dermatoligist, tell, him/her what you've told us and get a gentle, but professional peel from him/her...Follow the after care instructions and then just keep doing the peels/exfoliation YOU are comfortable with doing yourself...Go back to the dermatologist when you need it (or if you are like me, when you can afford it)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts