Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know everyone's biggest gripes and pet peeves about cosmetics and skin care sales people. I have come across honest, hard working salespeople who are truly concerned for their customer's skin and gaining their loyalty and the complete opposite sharky, lying, dishonest salespeople who will sell you the moon as long as they make a commission. Those are usually the one's who know the least about the products and are just good BS artists.

Feedback?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Really, have you ever gone to a cosmetic counter and a SA tried to get you to not use their product? Or if you asked if a certain product of thiers worked and the answer was, "no not really"? Or one that said they don't use the cosmetic line they work for?

You know there are lots of products that work, or work better than the others. I just wish you would get the honest answers when out searching. I also know, not all of those SA wear the makeup line they work for. Not always possible. I am sure they are like you and I, they use what works best for them, but they surely won't tell you that, will they!!!

I had to get my husband to return a couple of things for me, because the SA are so pushy trying to sell me other things. When my husbands returns the items, he gets no sales pitch at all? Looks like I will be using my husband more often for my returns-

Do you think ALL cosmetic counters work based on commissions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have encounterd some beauty advisors that will tell me truthfully about certain items or admit to using other brands. That's a heck of a lot more realistic and truthful than them telling you they only use the brand they sell an nothing else. I would trust someone more who admits to it. I think cosmetic stores like Sephora don't work on commission but its very obvious the big dept stores DO. You can kinda tell by the way you are helped. If they are pushy and get annoyed when you dont want to buy- its commission. Otherwise why would they try so hard?

I heard that Sacks on 5th ave in NYC is strictly commission, no hourly salary so can you imagine what the cat fights are in there? imagine your paycheck being solely based on your sales lies and nothing else!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have given up on cosmetic counters, don't go there, before I buy I check out the net reviews. If I buy on the net I have 30 days to return it after trying.
I think department store cosmetics are overpriced with little result.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes I have to agree - department store cosmetics counters are a jungle.

But a good SA is worth her/his weight in gold, and can really help you find the right products, regardless of what line she/he sells; she/he is generous with samples and can show you the right way to use the products. They are just trying to make a living too and have to put up with customers all day long. Retail. Gah.

I like to try things on at the counters and then...yes, I admit it....find a better price online. Or better yet, go to Sephora where samples are king! Or even better, get it at makeupalley.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've really given up on the fancy dept store things. We really have to listen to that voice in us that says "you know this isn't going to do what it says and for $200, you gotta be crazy to buy this," right??? I have 1-2 dept store faves that I like and give results (Idealist for my crater like pores) but that's a once in a while splurge and I better be getting a free gift and lots of goodies or I'm not buying. I used to work for lancome and every 3 months they come out with some new miracle serum for $150 and its nuts the amount of people who believe it is worth that money for minimal results! I couldn't sell it anymore. I couldn't deal with the lies and the pressure. Yeah some of the stuff is okay but to be pressured to lie to people and make these inflated sales goals is not the way to live.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Department stores mark up products way too much. I prefer to buy from a local person who I like and trust. Also, you can get more face time with them and hear honest opinions, instead of a canned sales pitch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's in their best interest to sell you items that will work for your skin type and condition so that you'll be a repeat customer. How much commission can you make off a one-time sale for an unhappy customer who will tell all her friends about the bad experience she had with you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont particularly like going to counters to buy products either. But they're taught to be pushy and get sales. I am very honest with my customers and if it means a lost sale then so be it, but I'd rather the loss than someone coming back with complaints later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts