Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion that I have pre-maturely ruined my skin do to the sun sensitivity affect of retinoids. I have used retinoids on and off for 3 years now to help with acne, and was liking the results but then I started to notice my skin becoming less firm and older looking after a while, so I stopped. I wore sunscreen religiously at all times, but I just remembered that I never reapplied it or wore heavy duty sunscreen while playing sports in the hot sun for hours (imagine all that damage), and now at 20, I am hating my skin, looks terrible for my age; I have seen 50 year olds with better skin than mine. I started looking online for a solution, and all places led to retinoids. So I am thinking of using them again, but this time being more cautious when out in the sun, because I am out a lot (can't give up sports
). Anyways does anybody think its wise to go back to retinoids to fix my skin, or will I just risk damaging it more? Also is there anyone that could recommend a really powerful sunscreen that is sweat proof, safe, and doesn't make me look like a white ghost all the time I go out? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi, there.

I do think skin damage can be repaired and it does take time.

Retinoids are one of the best treatments for skin aging. You do, however, need to use sunscreen every single day, reapply if need be, and use a sunscreen with not only a high SPF but a high PPD, since you are outdoors a lot.

If you are not averse to chemical absorbers, one sunscreen that is very waterproof and resistant to rubbing off is La Roche-Posay Anthelios Dermo-Pediatric SPF50+ Lotion. It has a PPD of 28, which is high.

I would also recommend a Vitamin C product of some kind. This as well helps to restore collagen and will give you a boost of sun protection, because Vitamin C possesses natural sunscreen properties. This can be worn under your sunscreen daily.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Jump over to this thread and read all about retinoids and sunscreen. Lots of great info over there. Just scrool through it until you find what you are looking for.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...ow-thread.html

As far as what you should do about the damage? I can tell you from my own experience from battleing with acne, I had horrible hyperpigmentation from the meds I took and from not wearing sunscreen when I should have been-

You are young, if you can learn one important thing (as far as your skin
) that is going to benefit you in the long run, it would be to WEAR SUNSCREEN!!! That sun is beautiful and makes you feel good, but it is OH SO EVIL to your skin. Finding one that is sweat proof is a challenge, but even if you sweat it off, re-apply it, re-apply it, re-apply it!! I run in the blazing sun and sweat like a booger, so I know your frustration with sweating.

But do not let this stop you from wearing sunscreen and taking care of your skin while you are still young!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You poor thing. You really need to stop with the retinoids. Please order something natural to bring your skin back to normal or speak to an esthetician about using something else. This is exactly the problem...people are not educated about the dangers of some of these products. How bad is your acne? And if you don't like your skin now, why would you go back to the retinoids? I say, don't do it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I agree. I would back off the retinoids a while to give your skin a breather.
Have you tried something gentle to exfoliate, such as a microfiber cloth?
Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

A good sports sunscreen I have used is Keys.
Keys*::*Sun*Care*::*Solar...

It stays put even with sweating, but isn't cosmetically elegant enough to wear under foundation as it is a bit thick and dry-feeling. It doesn't have chemical blockers and doesn't aggravate my skin by causing pimples or rashes.

You might try some soothing oils like emu, argan ( a dry-feeling oil that sinks in rapidly and leaves no oily finish) or this which will help restore the barrier of your skin:
Skin Actives Scientific : ELS Serum: 'Every Lipid Serum' with Ceramide

I hope this might help you somehow

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
You poor thing. You really need to stop with the retinoids. Please order something natural to bring your skin back to normal or speak to an esthetician about using something else. This is exactly the problem...people are not educated about the dangers of some of these products. How bad is your acne? And if you don't like your skin now, why would you go back to the retinoids? I say, don't do it.
When you have acne, you will do just about anything to make it go away. And for most, that means having to take medication which in turns makes you very sensitive to sun light, which in turn causes hyperpigmentation. So it is a battle no matter what you do or what you take. The problem is just being able to find something to get results, when you are acne prone. I have taken just about everything there is and finally at 40 was able to find my cure. But it nearly took me 20 years. That is 20 years of trying just about every option there is for acne. Sometimes retinoids are the only things that work.

So I say, do what you need to do to keep your acne at bay, even if that means having to use retinoids. But also be smart while in the process and protect your skin with a good sunscreen, and hopefully have the best of both worlds-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Someone having rawness and dryness from Retin-A could use a retinol product like Green Cream with less side effects, even tho Retin-A is the gold standard.
I have used it with good results for fine lines and you still need to use protection against UV rays. It's still possible to overdo it with retinol so it has to be used sparingly at first.

Advanced Skin Technology

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone having rawness and dryness from Retin-A could use a retinol product like Green Cream with less side effects, even tho Retin-A is the gold standard.
I have used it with good results for fine lines and you still need to use protection against UV rays. It's still possible to overdo it with retinol so it has to be used sparingly at first.
I have used Green Cream before, but it didn't really help as much as the retin-a, and it irritated me more for some reason, maybe it was the alcohol(?). One of you recommended Vitamin C is that enough to repair damage, or do I still need a retinoid. My goal right now is to prevent and cure premature aging, and of course to better my comedonal acne. If I use retin-a, I will surely be afraid to go out, because I have no idea how to tell if the sunscreen is working or not. I know that all the time I came back from my sporting activities my face would be slightly red, even with sunscreen.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
You could use retin a but if you are out in the sun that much, I don't know that I would take the chance of the damage you could cause. Not to mention the hyperpigmentation you could get. Getting hyperpigmentation takes a lot of time and patience to get rid of. It is not fun.

Have you ever tried any other topical's for your acne? Differin, clindamycin, benzaclin? They have some that work pretty well. Are you taking oral medication too?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried all of those, except differen, but none of them have worked as well as retin-a. I am against antibiotics, because I think they really messed up my system when I was on them. I think retin-a is my only option, I am out in the sun everyday for 3 hours max, but it's usually after 4, when the sun isn't that harming.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Do not use retinoids if you spend 3 hours in the sun, staying 10 minutes in direct sunlight even if its after 4 can still damage your skin. You should move onto Lactic Acid peels or Jessner's peels performed in intervals to keep your acne at bay or buy a 5% salicylic acid exfoliator from skincarecentral.biz which helps greatly decongest clogged pores and dissolve comedones. I am an Retin-A fan for life but if your skin has been damaged by it then move on to other things, your skin is telling you something if it reacted that way. Maybe u can use retinoids later on in your 40s or 50s, for now find another solution to your problems and trust me there are many; peels would be ur best option to undo all the sun damage or old skin b/c you say that your skin looks like a 50 year old, well then the quick fix would be to use Glycolic or TCA to remove the top layer of your skin so that ur NEW and natural skin can regenerate back. This is why you see so many people who have been neglecting their skin all their life use peels in their forties or fifties to rapidly exfoliate away the top layer leaving them with skin that looks 20 to 30 years younger.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do not use retinoids if you spend 3 hours in the sun, staying 10 minutes in direct sunlight even if its after 4 can still damage your skin. You should move onto Lactic Acid peels or Jessner's peels performed in intervals to keep your acne at bay or buy a 5% salicylic acid exfoliator from skincarecentral.biz which helps greatly decongest clogged pores and dissolve comedones. I am an Retin-A fan for life but if your skin has been damaged by it then move on to other things, your skin is telling you something if it reacted that way. Maybe u can use retinoids later on in your 40s or 50s, for now find another solution to your problems and trust me there are many; peels would be ur best option to undo all the sun damage or old skin b/c you say that your skin looks like a 50 year old, well then the quick fix would be to use Glycolic or TCA to remove the top layer of your skin so that ur NEW and natural skin can regenerate back. This is why you see so many people who have been neglecting their skin all their life use peels in their forties or fifties to rapidly exfoliate away the top layer leaving them with skin that looks 20 to 30 years younger.
Is salicylic acid the same as beta hydroxy acids? If it is don't those also make you sensiive to the sun? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure of what I am dong to not ruin my skin any further.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have stopped using the Green Cream now too, I have dry skin skin and im sure its the alchol in the prodcut that my face does not like!

Have you thought about going to a dermatologist and getting a skin consoltation before using anything on your face.

I just think its very hard to tell someone what to use on there face without seeing there skin!

Personally I love going to the dermo!

In the mean time though before you decide what type of peel etc you may want to use you could try some natural products on your skin, I really like diying my own stuff, garden of wisdom and so on do some good nice natural products too!

Best of luck with everything though

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
yes salicylic acid is also known as BHA and everything thats out on the market to get rid of acne/keep it at bay is going to make u sensitive to the sun but that doesnt mean anything if you use SUNBLOCK with a high spf/ppd and a wat or big shades when u go out. Tell me: what is the current conditon of ur skin, I know u said its damaged, but what exactly does it have? acne? what type of acne? how severe?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Lighten Lift have you tried a Jessners peel Im actually thinking of trying one of these after trying a lactic acid peel in few weeks time, but am wanting to get a bit more info bout these peels yet, before deciding on what one to use, did you find it irrating at all?

Im just wondering cause I have not been trying want to use a gylonic peel yet as am thinking this will dry out my skin, and I think a tca it too much for my ickle face, many thanks

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Is salicylic acid the same as beta hydroxy acids? If it is don't those also make you sensiive to the sun? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure of what I am dong to not ruin my skin any further.
Yes salicylic acid is a BHA. You know you could also use a salicylic acid face was. Find one with 2% or higher salicylic acid.

Personally, I think you should be careful what kind of peel you do wether it be Jessner's peel, Lactic Acid, etc, be careful. First of all you are only 20, and second you do spend quite a bit of time in the sun. Wether it be after 4 or not, it is still sun.

Anytime you do any type of peel you want to make sure your face is protected from the sunlight. No sense doing a peel if you aren't going to be able to protect your face well enough from more damage. Doing a peel, and continued sunlight, will only cause you more grief!!

Maybe try swithing up what you use as far as your cleanser, toner, moiturizer, and forsure get a good SPF and a hat-
I am a huge RA fan but with your continued sunlight exposure, I am afraid of what if could be doing to your skin.

Finding the right SPF that is good for acne prone skin, and is sweatproof, is a challenge within itself.-
You will find something that works, just be patient, as sometimes these jewels can be hard to find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes salicylic acid is also known as BHA and everything thats out on the market to get rid of acne/keep it at bay is going to make u sensitive to the sun but that doesnt mean anything if you use SUNBLOCK with a high spf/ppd and a wat or big shades when u go out. Tell me: what is the current conditon of ur skin, I know u said its damaged, but what exactly does it have? acne? what type of acne? how severe?
I don't really know how to describe my skin, I have no cystic acne anymore though. I'll try to describe it to the best of my ability. My skin is greasy but dry, in other words it looks greasy but feels dry when I smile or do facial expressions. It is also very sensitive, anything makes it red, from smiling, to biting an apple, even water makes it red. My pores are huge, and really clogged, nothing I do unclogs them. I don't even know how my natural skin looks, because every single area of skin on my face except right under the eyes, has small tiny red bumps, almost like a rash that never goes away. It itches at times, and flakes almost like dandruff, or small grains of salt

I am male by the way, and my skin is more tan than fair, so it's a little weird that you could see the redness in my skin. Any ideas? I can't go to a dermatologist right now because my insurance doesn't cover it. I wish I could get a picture up, but most of the cameras I have aren't high-def, so you can't really notice my condition, I could try though.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
What are using to wash your face with? Do you use a toner and a moisturizer?

If you have large pores that are congested, I would say you probably have more on the lines of oily skin. The dandruff/small grains of salt that you explained, it probably is exactly that, small grains of salt. Which would form from all the sweating you do. I get this exact same thing when I sweat. It is just really important to cleanse really good after a good sweat-

Have you ever tried tea tree oil or any products that contain tea tree oil? that might be something to look into.

what products are you currently using?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are using to wash your face with? Do you use a toner and a moisturizer?

If you have large pores that are congested, I would say you probably have more on the lines of oily skin. The dandruff/small grains of salt that you explained, it probably is exactly that, small grains of salt. Which would form from all the sweating you do. I get this exact same thing when I sweat. It is just really important to cleanse really good after a good sweat-

Have you ever tried tea tree oil or any products that contain tea tree oil? that might be something to look into.

what products are you currently using?
I am just washing my face with a rosehip seed cleanser, in the afternoon only, if I wash twice a day, my skin seems cleaner, but it becomes extremely red and for some reason very greasy, don't know why. I have also just started using the xtendlife men's anti-aging fluid. Currently I am using no actives whatsoever, but before I stopped I was using some retinol cream from Garden of Wisdom, which didn't really help at all. I have used both manuka oil and tea tree oil but it didn't help my problem at all.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
I am just washing my face with a rosehip seed cleanser, in the afternoon only, if I wash twice a day, my skin seems cleaner, but it becomes extremely red and for some reason very greasy, don't know why. I have also just started using the xtendlife men's anti-aging fluid. Currently I am using no actives whatsoever, but before I stopped I was using some retinol cream from Garden of Wisdom, which didn't really help at all. I have used both manuka oil and tea tree oil but it didn't help my problem at all.
Well.....the rosehip wash should be fine but I don't know if I would be using the Xtendlife anti-aging fluid. You are only 20-
that is probably way too moisturizing for your skin and could be causing you the oily issue. When you have oily skin plus acne you should really lean towards an oil free moisturizer. Adding more oil on top of oily skin only makes things worse.

What I would do is cleanse at least 2xs a day. Apply an oil free moisturizer then a good sunscreen. Try not to use any scrubs of any sort because this will aggrivate your acne, instead try using a clay mask. Clay masks are great for those with oily/acne prone skin.

Here are a couple products I use and have had great luck with.
PCA SKIN
PCA SKIN

LightNLift likes this toner. You could give it a try
Carrot Seed TonerÂ*-Â*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

My son uses a couple of skinactives products and really likes them (he is your age and has similar skin issues)
Skin Actives Scientific : Acne Control Cream with T-Zone Serum and ZitEnder
Skin Actives Scientific : Salicylic Wash

This is the sunscreen I used when I was battleing with my acne issues.
vanicreamskincare.com | Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin SPF 60 from Vanicream

I know it can be frustrating. Please don't get discouraged. Keep trying until you find what works for you. There is something out there I promise-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts