Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I really don't think Jlo uses that product religiously. I think they just used her name by saying she used it for advertising so they can make some money. I know i had never heard of this company until On VH1, they had this show called "Lifestyles of the rich a famous" and they were shamelessly promoting this product claiming everybody from Beyonce to Angelina jolie was using it to make their skin look teh way it did. And it worked because I remember a lot of people inquiring about it on skin care forums after that show aired

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is one of the original articles using celebs names. Notice the last sentence does not say anything about these stars using the product? It is a list of stars names and has pics of them all on the right side. Tricky eh?

EstÃa9e Lauderâ€2122s Crème de la Mer moisturing cream is what some of the most gorgeous celebrities swear by. The cream claims to make your skin smoother, firmer, and wrinkle-free over time because it contains seaweed that is harvested during certain times of year under certain moons. Celebs like Marcia Cross, Molly Sims, Keira Knightley, Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry and Faith Hill.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There is no huge difference between products that cost $100 and others that are $10. You just need to find a good company that makes stuff suitable for your skin. The expensive products are just meant for rich people that want to feel special. It's like driving a lexus or toyota. They are basicaly the same, but people feel better knowing they paid more for a lexus. It makes them feel exclusive.
God, that is so true. I work in a high end area and OH BROTHER.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was very against mineral oil for several years too, but I don't know anymore. I a doctorate thesis described research where several oils were tested on the skin, natural and mineral, and all of them disturbed skins natural lipid layer that has several important functions, protecting against wind, cold, sun and more. In many cases it was best not too use pure oils at all.

My point is, mineral oil doesn't damage skin, it is very safe, but it doesn't provide nourishing factors like many natural oils do, they penetrate skin deeper and are very good carriers for many ingredients.

Another important point is; it is complex creams with lots of different ingredients that have the potential of improving skin regeneration, wrinkles and thinning skin.

Mineral oil is mostly used in creams that have a lot of active ingredients. Making a cream emulsify them can be difficult, it very much depends on the ingredients and amount of them and mineral oil aids this. In good creams there's not a lot of mineral oil used. I still tend to stay away from mineral oils, and don't buy or make any products containing them, but would happily try something new with a bit of mineral oil.

When it comes to Creme de la Mer, the key ingredient is a particular type of fermented kelp or seaweed. Lots of creams and diets supplements are based on this, way before creme de la mere, but it is the fermentation process that is a bit special with this cream. It's very comparable to yogurt, and is used to make the nutrients in seaweed more available to the skin. It can have very good effects on skin, and it's one of the best ingredients available in my opinion.

I do agree that Creme de la Mer is very overpriced. The seaweed ingredient is not that expensive at all and available from several sources. I have used the seaweed jell stuff from Skinactives, and it works wonders. It can be added to your usual cream or lotion. Most creams I have tried takes the seaweed jelly fine, but not all. It's a sort of test and trial experiment.

If you like Creme de la Mer it's very likely the seaweed ingredient that does anything special for the skin. There are lots of stuff in CdlM, vitamins C,E,B, plant extracts of alfalfa, natural oils, but a lot of good creams have this.

In defence of Creme de la Mer, the fermentation process is a bit special. It takes a long time, 3-4 months, and it's said that it's not easy to adjust it to industrial methods. But still, to me the prices are far from realistic.

·
Registered
140 Posts
have you ever tasted larva bread. oh it made me gag
it litereally tasted like the sea. but supposodley so healthy but i just couldn't continue with it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hehe, luckily the stuff from skinactives smells ok, next to nothing. It's fermented in much the same way as yogurt, not at all rotting, and not for months on end. I also used a dry version for a while, much the same stuff, but the jell version is very easy to use.

The seaweed stuff is actually very interesting. It nourishes skin like nothing else. Dry and dull skin will quickly get fresher colour and texture; oily sensitive skin calms down and it's the only thing I know that gently normalizes oil production within days. I recommend just about every one to try this stuff, all ages, conditions and skin types. When fermented it is full of available peptides, minerals, even some vitamins. It is very safe in use, very few people have unwanted skin reactions to it (those allergic to iodine have to be careful, but still there is only traces of it).

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
my knowledge of seaweed ends with sushi, iodine deficiencies and raising the BMR!

*wraps self in nori seaweed instead

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
ah actually now i come to think of it i had an amazinfg seaweed mask with a woman on harley street she layered gloop all over my face and gave me a straw to suck through so i could breathe and covered everything nostril eyes the lot. she then peeled it off and i have to say i was glowing afterwards. may do a search for seaweed masks or some such.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, seaweed is very good for the skin; not only does it draw toxins out but it leaves the skin fresh and smooth...

I have both the seaweed peeling face masks powder and the seaweed body masks powder at home...it's very good stuff...I get it cheap too; and it's the same stuff they use in spas...

Try applying a paste of seaweed powder on your thighs or on your cellulite areas and then wrap it in cling film/saran wrap and after that wrap the whole area in warm towels for 30 mins and then wash off...it leaves the area so smooth and the cellulite less visible...

It's a keeper...I love this stuff...

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
yeah, those wraps are great especially when you get left to fall asleep like a swaddling bairn!!! where do you get yours from Angel i saw a seller on ebay 500g for £6.99.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I get mine from aromantic.co.uk...the seaweed peeling face masks cost around £5.00 for 100g and the seaweed body wrap cost around £5 too for 250g...

The ebay seller sounds good too...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts