Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL! I am sorry I have been away so long I unexpectedly had a death in my family and have had to go to Europe and have just come back to USA. I had almost no time to check my emails even so this has more or less been on the back-burner but I missed it!

Now I did want to update everyone on my battle with the sudden crepe-paper skin I had which was my original reason for coming here. Firstly to recap for those who did not read my prior posts so as to put it in perspective, I am 37 years old and have had tanorexia for at least 20 years. I always have looked young for my age and felt like my skin was "untouchable" and not subject to photoaging or any aging really. Then suddenly a few months ago, first on my hands, then neck, then all over my body, I slowly noticed a crepe-paper like skin and sudden loss of elasticity and youth. I panicked needless to say and ended up on this site!

I did ascertain with the help of everyone here that my skin issues were not only due to excessive tanning but also due to excessive exfoliation. I had been using the scrub side of a sponge on my skin with glycolic scrubs, then AHA's up to 20% as a lotion and other exfoliating skin creams. All of this clearly weakened and damaged my skin leaving it more susceptible to photo damage which I was sumultaneously subjecting my skin to. I stopped it all and went on a healing binge trying every oil, baby-Q (works great but for small areas), every lotion etc.

Now for an update---I have yet to try red palm oil but have been using a ton of other oils for a while. NONE worked too well all offered a temporary (so long as they were oily) fix. Finally and oddly I bought a knock off at CVS (like Superdrug or Boots in UK) of Bio-Oil. It is the CVS (Boots equivalent) brand of the same mixture. IT IS AMAZING! I tested it on my arms first and now am bathing in it quite literally. I have been busting to tell everyone as I bought a ton of them and took them with me to travel and since I have been using them I have seen a 60% improvement and the recommendation is to use them for at least 3 months so I am still in early days with it. I just cannot tell you how shockingly relieved I am to have found something that really seem to penetrate and fix my skin!

I have a lot of things to catch up on so I am going to try and come back later and read all the posts and do some cathching up here as well! Hope all of you are well.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fawnie--any thoughts why Bio-Oil is so successful? I have read the list of ingredients but see nothing out of the ordinary but it really has had a dramatic effect!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That definitely drives home just how overexfoliated my skin is! I hope people heed my warning not to overexfoliate, it does nothing but damage the integrity of the skin!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lexie, I'm glad you have found something that is working for you! Thanks fawnie for Bio-oil ingredients, there is one ingredient that I was curious about and I went to check and I found this about BHT canadian content- bht: what is it?

Repeated studies have shown that BHA and BHT increase the risk of cancer as well as accumulate in body tissue, cause liver enlargement, and retard the rate of DNA synthesis and thus, cell development. However, one study, released in 1994, suggests these same additives may actually retard cancer development because of their antioxidant properties.

another site: Preservatives BHA and BHT -Food Preservatives and Additives Chemistry

Are BHA and BHT safe?

Both BHA and BHT have undergone the additive application and review process required by the US Food and Drug Administration. However, the same chemical properties which make BHA and BHT excellent preservatives may also be implicated in health effects. The oxidative characteristics and/or metabolites of BHA and BHT may contribute to carcinogenicity or tumorigenicity; however the same reactions may combat oxidative stress. There is evidence that certain persons may have difficulty metabolizing BHA and BHT, resulting in health and behavior changes. BHA and BHT may have antiviral and antimicrobial activities. Research is underway concerning the use of BHT in the treatment of herpes simplex and AIDS.

Preservatives BHA and BHT -Food Preservatives and Additives Chemistry

Lexi, have you tried emu oil?

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/em...gredients.html
http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/uses-of-emu-oil.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts