Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very curly/wave hair, I usually go to the shop and have them wash and straighten my hair which takes hours. When I get my hair straightened my hair is to my lower back. I get a lot of compliments from people when my hair is natural (wavy), but I don't know how to take care of it. What should I do to take care of curly/wavy hair? Does it need to be moisturized/combed out daily? I don't want to damage it or get a lot of split ends, which is what I think might happen if I don't get my hair straightened...

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
398 Posts
You may want to check out naturallycurly.com. I have curly hair and I learned soooo much from that site and the forums there. I'm sure you will get good input here, also, but NC.com is my best bit of advice for you. Totally helped me get recs for products and general hair care tips for my curls.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Vanity,

Over combing & brushing are no-no's for curly tresses! It just makes your hair frizzy & pouffy ...

If you're regularly straightening your hair now, that's likely MORE damaging than letting it do it's own thing & be curly.

Try a gentle non SLS shampoo & conditioner, lightly comb your hair when it's wet & then use a leave in product like Aveda's "be curly" styling creme & try to let your hair air dry most of the time - heat styling stresses the hair.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stiletto con Carne: I don't regularly straighten my hair.

Marci65: Thank you for the information I will check out the site. ^_^

·
Registered
398 Posts
I love it at nc.com. I can't say enough great things about that site and how much it has taught me. Dangerous to go there when low on funds though (creates many product lemmings).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
My hair used to be curly but it has gone wavy and frizzy now due to over-styling (straightening and dyeing) . Can someone pls recommend a good styling product that helps define my curls and get rid of friziness without making my hair go crinkly and greasy?

Looking forward to some replies.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Well some people have all the luck! My mother, brother even my son has naturally spiral curls. Me myself, poker straight, thin and fine! However mo mother and brother use Physiques conditionner and my son uses Coconut oil. Hopes this help!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have long tangled curls. Sounds crazy but thats what they are. I wash my hair every day but use conditioner to shampoo with instead of shampoo. Use a wide tooth comb to comb out. I only use shampoo once a week. I use coconut oil on my hair for deep conditioning if I go to the beach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have curly hair as well..i'm using Osis Upload style..Been using it for two year so far..quite nice..
After clean your hair, just use the tower to squish the excessive water out (don't rub). Don't comb, then apply the osis upload style to your hair, blow dry it. Althought it doesn't seems natural after you blow dry, never mind..just leave it then sleep overnight, the next morning, it will turn out natural and soft..no kidding..you can try it out..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have curly hair as well..i'm using Osis Upload style..Been using it for two year so far..quite nice..
After clean your hair, just use the tower to squish the excessive water out (don't rub). Don't comb, then apply the osis upload style to your hair, blow dry it. Althought it doesn't seems natural after you blow dry, never mind..just leave it then sleep overnight, the next morning, it will turn out natural and soft..no kidding..you can try it out..
Thanks Michelle. I have never heard of the osis upload style before. Is it a curl enhancing product and where do you buy it from? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have long tangled curls. Sounds crazy but thats what they are. I wash my hair every day but use conditioner to shampoo with instead of shampoo. Use a wide tooth comb to comb out. I only use shampoo once a week. I use coconut oil on my hair for deep conditioning if I go to the beach.
Thanks for your reply, Lordm. When you shampoo with conditioner, do you use it on your scalp too? Normally when I use condiitoner , I use it on my hair length only not scalp coz it makes my hair fall. Please I would love to know how you do it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Is there any leave-in that help hair stay moisturised and prevent frizz? I always oil my hair but wen I wash it, my hair becomes dry and dull looking again with lots of frizz. I can wear oil in my hair wen I go out, coz it makes my hair greasy.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi pumi, if I can put coconut oil in my hair and it not look oily bet your bottom dollar that you can. My hair is fine and thin!!! The trick to it is to use it sparingly. I merely touch the oil ( which is hard like a brick right) then really work my fingers or brush through the lengths of my hair. Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi pumi, if I can put coconut oil in my hair and it not look oily bet your bottom dollar that you can. My hair is fine and thin!!! The trick to it is to use it sparingly. I merely touch the oil ( which is hard like a brick right) then really work my fingers or brush through the lengths of my hair. Hope this helps you out!
I was applying oil all over my hair including roots and hair tips. This made my hair looks greasy and limpy. I will now apply to the ends only when I go out and see how it works.
Cheers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Lordm. When you shampoo with conditioner, do you use it on your scalp too? Normally when I use condiitoner , I use it on my hair length only not scalp coz it makes my hair fall. Please I would love to know how you do it.

Cheers
I use the conditioner like shampoo, on my scalp too but my hair is thick and puffy so not sure about it making it flat. What I do is use the conditioner all over like shampoo and then wash it out. Sometimes I might use olive oil, or coconut oil on (the ends only) before I shampoo. But my hair is dry and course.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Have you tried letting the oil sit on your hair for about 1/2hr wrapped up in a towel to keep your head warm, let the oil penetrate?

·
Registered
550 Posts
(Mayonnaise is great!) to put on your hair before you shampoo if you want shiny conditioned hair. If your hair is dry or you want to do a deep conditioning wrap your hair in foil or plastic wrap for about 15 minutes or 1/2 hour before you shampoo. You can also add 1/2 smashed avocado to the mayonnaise. (It makes your hair smooth and shiny, but your hair will smell like mayonnaise a little)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Good one Lordm!!!!!!! Could you not put a few drops of your favorite essential oil in it to mask the mayonaise smell?

·
Registered
419 Posts
My hair is curly and in the summer with humidity it grows and grows and grows OUTWARD
. Gets very frizzy and dry. I tried a new product called Living Proof NoFrizz and it works. They have products for different types of hair. Fine to medium or medium to thick. I blow dry my hair straight so I use the Straight Making one. They do have one for wave shaping/curl defining that is great also. I used this product the night I went on boat ride and my hair did NOT get frizzy.

I have attached a link about the product below. Sephora sells this product now as well as QVC

LivingProof - Home

1 - 20 of 23 Posts