Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I cannot believe I stumbled on this goldmine of a site- some very brilliant postings. Well am extremely depressed about my uneven pigmentation, I have about 3 different shades on my body. The colour of my knees, elbows and knuckles are a zillion times darker than the rest my body. My feet and hands also look very discoloured, I'm thinking of getting a salicylic home peel, but scared as skin the on hands and feet are thin and would not like to damage them any further. As if that isn't bad enough, years of tweezing my facial hair has turned the skin on side of my face and under my chin to soot. I have read alot about HQ and RA from this site but again i'm not too keen on HQ, as I have heard black skin does not react well to it. I would be very grateful for some advice.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
HQ 4% is safe when used along Retin-A and SUNBLOCK, its the people who misuse it who get the bad reactions. For your knees, elbows and knucles salicylic acid wont do anything but you need a TCA 18% peel. The exfoliating power of the TCA will rapidly peel away your dark, dead skin and make way for fresh new brighter and younger skin underneath.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd recommend a TCA peel over anything else because I just finished one and it worked miracles with the discoloration and scarring on my face. I would go with 15% TCA for your first time though, it worked for me. I would seriously not recommend going above 15% for your first time as you may be sensitive to the product so 15% won't damage you but still give you results you're looking for. Anything below 15% probably won't do much if anything at all, most people use it for just exfoliating. You can order a very nice kit from makeupartistschoice.com and it'll be at your front door in 2 days flat. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks LightenNlift and Eric
, this forum just doesn't disappoint. I will definately try the TCA, I'm in the U.K so the only problem is the long wait for delivery as makeupartist.com are in States. But have you used any of your treatments on your hands and feet as the skin is much thinner and may be prone to the paradoxical hyperpigmentation that can result from trying to correct discolorations? Would a lower strength TCA or something else be more appropriate for that area? Am such a worrywart, but I read somewhere that HQ in as low as a 2% concentration can result in exogenous ochronosis- that dreadful bluish blackish discoloration, especially in black skin types. Are there any natural, paraben and fragrance free alternatives to HQ that are just as effective please? Many thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks LightenNlift and Eric
, this forum just doesn't disappoint. I will definately try the TCA, I'm in the U.K so the only problem is the long wait for delivery as makeupartist.com are in States. But have you used any of your treatments on your hands and feet as the skin is much thinner and may be prone to the paradoxical hyperpigmentation that can result from trying to correct discolorations? Would a lower strength TCA or something else be more appropriate for that area? Am such a worrywart, but I read somewhere that HQ in as low as a 2% concentration can result in exogenous ochronosis- that dreadful bluish blackish discoloration, especially in black skin types. Are there any natural, paraben and fragrance free alternatives to HQ that are just as effective please? Many thanks.
In your case I'd probably start out with 8% just to be sure it works. 8% is so mild that I am sure you wont get any side effects. If you want a completely worry free solution I'd suggest looking into Avon's new microdermabrasion kit. It's $26 and might be helpful, it just doesn't wield as quick of results as TCA does. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Eric is right, I use the Avon's dermabrassion once a week. I am so thankful that I stumbled upon it. It removed a lot of my acnee scaring, as well as some discolorations and scars. I think it might have helped get rid of some of my wrinkles to. The best part is all it takes is a good five minutes - no down time, and you don't have to worry about peeling. Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I tried a home microdermabrasion kit before without success however, I ordered both the TCA 12.5% for my face, hands and feet, as well as the 15% for my knees and elbows from MUAC yesterday. I have also bought a Derma E skin lightener, which is supposedly made up of all natural ingredients and is paraben free to complement the peel, I wonder if anyone has used it? I will let you know how I get on when it arrives.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys, I tried a home microdermabrasion kit before without success however, I ordered both the TCA 12.5% for my face, hands and feet, as well as the 15% for my knees and elbows from MUAC yesterday. I have also bought a Derma E skin lightener, which is supposedly made up of all natural ingredients and is paraben free to complement the peel, I wonder if anyone has used it? I will let you know how I get on when it arrives.
Sounds like you made a great order!

I tried the E skin lightner and it works very well. I'd probably wait a week or two after you do the peel before using the lightner because you may not need it at all. Plus atleast then you'd know which product works better for you

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts