Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DermaRoller is a skin needling device to increase the penetration of products such as Vit C into the epidermis, and to trigger the skin to induce collagen production on its own.

Environ stunned the world with the improvement of skin as a result of using the Environ

There are several places on line that sell them if you google "dermaroller", and eBay occasionally has them. elmo!elmo is reportedly a reliable vendor.

This is the one I use, but it can be found cheaper elsewhere:

Leaf and Rusher: Tx Roller

MakeMeHeal is a good source of info about needling as well:
Skin Dermal Rollers, Needle Therapy, Dermaroller, Devices

It feels like tiny "pricks" all over the skin and I don't use any topical numbing agent. This leaves my skin slightly red afterward and the next day there is some swelling, but I can still go out with a good concealer.

It helps to plump up the skin overall I have found, and to diminish fine lines and deeper wrinkles somewhat. It is possible to overdo it so go slowly at first until you get the hang of it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Hi Fawnie-

So tell me, whats the deal with Retin A and DermaRolling? Do you still use Retin A while you are doing this? Or do you stop with the Retin A prior to using your handy dandy device?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Fawnie-

So tell me, whats the deal with Retin A and DermaRolling? Do you still use Retin A while you are doing this? Or do you stop with the Retin A prior to using your handy dandy device?
You don't want to "roll" RA into your skin! I skip it if I do a roll that night and roll Vit C serum in instead.

I can't vouch for the quality of any rollers except the one I myself use. All I am doing is presenting information so that anyone can make a decision for him/herself! I'm not selling DermaRollers either! LOL

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
You don't want to "roll" RA into your skin! I skip it if I do a roll that night and roll Vit C serum in instead.

I can't vouch for the quality of any rollers except the one I myself use. All I am doing is presenting information so that anyone can make a decision for him/herself! I'm not selling DermaRollers either! LOL
Oh darn, you aren't into the DermaRoller business? Shucks!!

I read over on EDS about which products to stay away from and Retin A was mentioned over and over. Maybe just because of the sensitivity to using it along with the dermaroller.

Probably using a AHA/BHA wouldn't be the best either huh? Nothing seems to effect my skin, but boy howdy that new NCN cloth rocks!!
I think I have found a new love-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the articles I quoted above only recommends vits A, C, D & E to roll into the skin. Emu oil was also mentioned. Some ppl roll copper peptides. That scares me!

No I wouldn't roll any acids for anti-ageing. Too harsh. You could do a lot of harm.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
No no fawnie, I wouldn't roll with AHA/BHA, I was wondering if I had to stop for the week with that as well. (I apply AHA/BHA every Sun.) Same with Retin A, I would never roll with it, just wondering about having to stop a night or so before. Kind of like I do when I am going to wax. I stop my RA a few nights before.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know, but it's a valid question, gymrat.

I only know how my skin reacts, and it's pretty sensitive to rolling, even with the baby pin one I have. You would have to experiment, but do it slowly. It's easier to build up than it is to undo!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
49 Posts
What?!

Fawnie has been holding out on us!
-I don't see any Dermarolling in that signature, do you?

Who knows, what else she has in her bag of tricks...

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Oh yes, that fawnie has all the tricks of the trade-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It isn't something I do very often. Maybe once every 6-10 weeks.

Oh yes, lots of tricks. You would think I would be a Goddess all the time I spend at it...I just experiment and then tell you about it so that you can be beautiful!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Oh fawnie don't kid yourself, I am sure you are beautiful!! A person like you, who cares about their appearance, skin, hair, toes, makeup, that right there says a lot to me!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that you share all your beauty

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well- I'm in!

I'll be reading up on needling while waiting for mine to arrive.

(I just hope these new tricks don't get more and more painful. Today your rolling, tomorrow ...
) -to be honest, I would probably snort that vit C, if it would get rid of broken capillaries!

Gymrat, I agree with you- microfiber cloths might be the best thing to happened to me this year
My boyfriend has been instructed not to touch them under ANY circumstances- Don't let me catch you drying your hands with that!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well, how do we know it WOULDN'T!! LOL, varya you go first...
LOL too funny!! Varya go for it, and let us know if it works!! You know me, I will try most things once.

And yes, I gave my family the same lecture on the micro fiber clothes. You touch them, I breaka your face-
I actually keep mine hanging on a small hook in my bathroom, so no one in my family better ever touch it!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought one of these 1.0mm rollers and finally got around to using it last night. I used it on my face, neck & chin area, chest, and what the heck, down one arm. I only did one arm because sort of as a test, I'm going to see if after time I see any difference between the needled arm and the non-needled arm. I have sunspots and freckles on both, and well, the skin just isn't as firm and tight as it was 20 years ago. If needling stimulates collagen, I figured a little more collagen might not hurt in my upper arms.

Anyway, as far as pain goes, it was worse on my chest area and upper lip than anywhere else I think. I went back and forth between areas that were sensitive to the prickly sensation because it just got to be too much if I concentrated on one area continuously. My face and neck did not bleed at all, but wow did they turn red! My chest bled just a little in places, but my arm bled a lot.

Today, less than 12 hrs later, you can actually see the places where the needles went into my arm! It's barely noticeable unless you get up close, but it kind of looks lightly sunburned from a distance. I used L-ascorbic acid + distilled water after the needling process, and it stung for a second or two. This morning, it didn't sting anywhere but on my arm.

How long before this sort of process shows results? Has anyone here used it on their body with 'firming' results? Or any other positive results?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I bought one of these 1.0mm rollers and finally got around to using it last night. I used it on my face, neck & chin area, chest, and what the heck, down one arm. I only did one arm because sort of as a test, I'm going to see if after time I see any difference between the needled arm and the non-needled arm. I have sunspots and freckles on both, and well, the skin just isn't as firm and tight as it was 20 years ago. If needling stimulates collagen, I figured a little more collagen might not hurt in my upper arms.

Anyway, as far as pain goes, it was worse on my chest area and upper lip than anywhere else I think. I went back and forth between areas that were sensitive to the prickly sensation because it just got to be too much if I concentrated on one area continuously. My face and neck did not bleed at all, but wow did they turn red! My chest bled just a little in places, but my arm bled a lot.

Today, less than 12 hrs later, you can actually see the places where the needles went into my arm! It's barely noticeable unless you get up close, but it kind of looks lightly sunburned from a distance. I used L-ascorbic acid + distilled water after the needling process, and it stung for a second or two. This morning, it didn't sting anywhere but on my arm.

How long before this sort of process shows results? Has anyone here used it on their body with 'firming' results? Or any other positive results?
What a great idea to do one arm!! Please please please keep us posted on your progress and results.

Also, next time you use it, I want to know if you bleed again and if it is just as sensitive the second time compared to the first.

Good luck with it-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Gymrat - I'm still thinking about a Dermaroller too. Have you seen this video on Youtube - HERE. At 2:53 into the video the doctor says that there will be punctures but no loss of blood. Maybe it depends on the device and technique (?).

1 - 20 of 243 Posts