Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it did mine, when i used hq 4% cream foolishly all over my body.

i assumed it was simply the quinones and other metabolites of hq, since quinones chemically are a deep yellow and any further metabolites may be an ocre color. it did have ra .025% too so who knows.

i stopped using hq long ago but still have that sharp memory of that visible side effect.

anyone else? or am i the only one that was alarmed by such a side effect?

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
idk what happened guesswhoiam, but quinones are supposed to be VERY soothing and has a calming effect on the urinary tract, thats why doctors give patients bearberry leaves because the quinones in them have a calming/infection clearing agents that eradicate urinary tract infection. Look it up, its very common that they prescribe the Uva Ursi leaves which contains a strong concentration of quinones. I dont know where you got your HQ 4% from but some sources are not to be trust, it was probably phenylhydroquinone which is a dangerous form of it that comes from China which makes people extremely sick. But USP GRADE HQ, the kind that pharmacies sell with 4% doesnt have the side effects that you are talking about, even if those pharmacies do sell higher percentages they still wouldnt have these side effects b/c then it would be documented and I havent read any. Although I have heard that HQ used on lighter skin or even caucasian/white or asian light skin people doesnt react well because it turns them red or it irritates, but it has no side effect such as skin irritation on blacks, south east/south asian, middeeast and mixed people. Also, doctors and plastic surgeons often prescribe the Obagi treatment which is HQ/RA and sunblock to asian patients with sun damage, melasma, and such and they statistically have a very higher success rate.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that assurance buddy.

yeah, arbutin and hydroquinone hav been used internally for their diuretic effects, but theres also info of quinones (main metabolites of hq, as once its gets absorbed into the skin, it does get into the bloodstream) on having renal (kidney) toxicity:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1365401

Quinone thioether-mediated DNA damage, growth arrest, and gadd153 expression in renal proximal tubular epithelial cells -- Jeong et al. 50 (3): 592 -- Molecular Pharmacology

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
I would agree with you but 2 to 4% concentrations are hardly enough for the kidney to be suffering even on the long run, if it does than I have to see more studies about specific HQ 2 to 4% concentrations and its effect on liver/kidney functions. I just want to reassure the majority here who are using HQ/RA that they are not risking their kidneys so until there are major studies published then we can back off.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree, im overly paranoid about hq that's all. (my own personal grudge, since it didnt work for me.)

so i guess it's safe for the kidney until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
for added reassurance, we have two kidneys, only ONE is needed, the other one doesnt matter at all, idk why god gave us two kidneys when one is only needed, perhaps to see if we care enough to give one to the needy.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts