Skin Care Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know that the hormones they feed to cattle to fatten them for slaughter get into your body every time you eat beef? Do you think hormones have anything to do with acne?

How much fiber is in that Big Mac? Do you think elimination has anything to do with the condition of your skin?

What about sugar? Processed food? Trans fatty acids?

I'd love to hear your ideas about it! Please quote scientific sources if possible rather than anecdotal stories.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
The hormones in cattle, what about the hormones in milk? Guess that is why I don't eat meat and don't do dairy.

Who cares about scientific sources. This is a forum, based on opinions, not a newspaper article where you have to verify sources. So because someone has an opinion and it isn't a "scientific study" it isn't valued? Are you kidding me?

I am sorry. I do live life. I will enjoy myself and not pass judgment on someone who is drinking, smoking, eating fast food, over weight, etc. As long as I worry about myself, and take of myself, that is what is most important to me.

Deffinately not "scientific studies".

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Who cares about scientific sources. This is a forum, based on opinions, not a newspaper article where you have to verify sources. So because someone has an opinion and it isn't a "scientific study" it isn't valued? Are you kidding me?
I think that both add to the discussion - the scientific study is often more useful but the anecdotes are usually more interesting.

It is important to distinguish between the two because a scientific study is conducted under controlled conditions (absent other variables; screened subjects; and so on) and so the results are generally more reliable than the experience of a single person who cannot isolate such factors in the same way.

For this reason the results of the study might be more generally applicable and so more useful to me than the personal experience of a single person. There is nothing like the personal testimony of someone who has had the experience first-hand, but sometimes this has to be taken with "a grain of salt" depending on the reliability of the individual.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I think that both add to the discussion - the scientific study is often more useful but the anecdotes are usually more interesting.

It is important to distinguish between the two because a scientific study is conducted under controlled conditions (absent other variables; screened subjects; and so on) and so the results are generally more reliable than the experience of a single person who cannot isolate such factors in the same way.

For this reason the results of the study might be more generally applicable and so more useful to me than the personal experience of a single person. There is nothing like the personal testimony of someone who has had the experience first-hand, but sometimes this has to be taken with "a grain of salt" depending on the reliability of the individual.
I agree with you, Mireckca, great theory. But to say "post scientific sources if possible" your eliminating what a forum is all about. Opinions, scientific studies, personal experience, general knowledge, etc, is how I make decisions for myself. I deffinately don't make decisions based on scientific sources.

Most people come to a forum to be part of a discussion, to get first hand experiences, personal reviews, etc. If they went based on scientific sources, we wouldln't be here right now.

Google would work for those who live by scientific sources.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just trying to present healthy options. That is one of the things a forum is good for: learning about viewpoints you never considered before.

No one is passing judgment here. If your mind is made up about it, then pass it by and go on to something else. But I think we can educate ourselves and so make our lives healthier and less prone to degenerative disease.

Coronary artery disease is seen even in children now. It is something we have control over, rather than giving in to the ad campaigns which would have us believe that a Happy Meal is a good choice for a child.

And I think we owe it to our children to present healthy nutrition information, just as we teach: safe sex, use of seatbelts, smoking avoidance, saying no to street drugs, & the Golden Rule.

Here is a nutrition evaluation tool for anyone who is interested:

Duke Diet & Fitness Center: The Weight Loss Program of Duke University Medical Center

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Wow- I scored a 30, on that little quiz. Not too bad. Interestingly enough, this little statement was straight from Duke Medicine site.

*Be aware of obvious as well as hidden fat sources

A high fat diet puts you at risk for diseases such as heart disease and cancer not to mention makes it difficult to control the waistline. It is not necessary however to eliminate dietary fat. Aim for 20-30% of your total calories to come from fat. For most people, this means keeping fat intake to 40-60 grams per day, depending on your calories needs. You may not be ready to fuss over the details but the following tips can help you to decrease your fat intake.

Choose high fat preparations, such as fried or cream sauce, only occasionally. *

The key word in that is occasionally. It doesn't say never or else.......

I live by, everything in moderation, is a change for the better. Who wants to live life worried about every little crumble that goes in our mouth? Or worried about every person who is making poor choices for themselves? That to me isn't living life! That to me is a very uptight person. I live life being as healthy as I can be and try to see that my loved ones do the same. But I by no means have control, or would want to control, the choices of others. How I choose to live, may not be how the next person chooses to live. But that doesn't make them any less of a person to me. I am a very accepting person. I accept people for who they are, regardless of who or what my beliefs may be.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Must have struck a nerve there.
Struck a nerve? No, not at all. Was that your intent?

After loosing a niece to anorexia just 2 years ago, makes this a really easy topic for me, actually. It is examples like this that I stand very firm on my belief when it comes to the choices that we make. When people want to rant and rave about what and what not to eat, really just shows their ignorance. It really comes down to, a person's own right to choose.

If they did their research they would find in black and white the reasons that you don't scold anyone who chooses to eat fast food. Choosing a healthy lifestyle is easier said than done. Personally, I lived through it for 7 years with my niece. Eventually, she was placed in a care facility. Even though she did not ever fully recover, and passed on from this deadly disease, she taught me more than you will ever know. One thing that stands out in my mind was her battle with the pressures that glorify thinness. Eating disorders are very complex conditions, which can cause a self perpetuating cycle of physical and emotional destruction.

Over 8 million Americans suffer from an eating disorder. 95% of those are between the ages of 12-25. 1 in 10 people receive treatment, and 20% of those people suffering will prematurely die from complications related to their eating disorder. Are these scientific studies? Of course they are. Does it mean anything to me having this knowledge? Of course not. Scientific studies don't really mean anything to most people. But having known someone who has actually died because of having a eating disorder, and myself as a witnessed to it, puts scientific studies very low on my pole. I would take my knowledge over a scientific study any day. I learned a lot. A lot of what I learned, I shared with you already on this post and the other post about "help picking an eye cream".

After my nieceâ€2122s passing, I promised to her and to myself that I would never ridicule anyone who chooses to eat fast food, junk food, anything basically to do with food. I can not change the mind of that person, even as much as I would like too. Everyday we have to make choices. Choosing what to eat is just one of those choices.

So, some food for thought. DO accept the other persons right to an independent choice, when it comes to food. DON'T be the food police. You just never know who is on the other side of the screen and may be looking for some guidance. Just think about what you say and how you say it. Be accepting of peopleâ€2122s rights and opinions.

And if you really want to learn and witness first hand about the damage you can do by telling someone what and what not to eat. Try volunteering at an Eating Disorder Clinic, as I do, it just might change the way that you think.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I was gonna leave this post be, but however I have to say my few words as it is really putting me off even continuing on joining It is just meant to be a general discussion shame that this is not the case any more!

From what i have read fawnie was just asking questions!

Gymrat also knowing a lot about eating disorders it also starts from this such as family abuse etc! However though im sure everyone would listen to your story and it is nice that you are willing to share such a personal thing!

Anyhow though i give up this forum does not seem worth it anymore i think! Sort it out people cause once again this whole post has got out of hand!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm with Fawnie on this one, she always brings great ideas to this forum....Let's not stop that................she know lots about beauty and health, you can lean a thing or two from her AND that is why we have a forum like this one........TO LEARN..........................

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Living well and eating healthy is all about having a balanced diet i feel!

Whatever you want to eat so be it and eat it, life is too short to worry about each and every single thing and who really cares quite frankly!

It is not about sides its about choice when all is said and done!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree NY: it's not about sides. It's only about opinions, facts and experiences. We all have them. So let's just let this dog die.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
357 Posts
There was a misunderstanding here and I believe everything has been mutually resolved since then, so let's just close this thread and move on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.