Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've been using Retin-A at .05 for wrinkles, along with a Vit C serum and have seen good results (I've been using it for about 8 months now).

I went to a new derm and he gave me a perscription for Differin cream 1%. Has anyone tried the Differin for wrinkles and if so what was your experience? Did you like it better/worse than Retin A.

Thanks.......I'm a bit nervous about switching

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hi--I tried it years ago because my ex-husband had it for acne. I was in my early 20's and barely had a wrinkle but yes it did tighten things but not for as long as I find retin-a does. I use retin-a now and it is much harsher but more effective for me. Do not worry about trying it, it is a synthetic retinoid and is supposedly equivalent to retin-a .025% The good thing about differin I found was much less sun-sensitivity. I cannot even be in direct sunlight with 50+ block on now without getting red on the .1% retin-a.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lexi

I thought it would be stronger than the .5 retina a, that's why I was afraid to try it.......but now you've got me wondering if I should just stay with my retin a

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks Buffy I just read up on it, it seems interesting but I would not switch over to it from a retinoid as they remain the only clinically proven ways to change the actual function of the skin and reverse aging. This seems really interesting though perhaps in addition and also just a neat product!

Remywill--I would personally do differing if I felt that I liked my skin "as is" for maintenance. I probably will switch to it at some point but have a lot of retin-a from a big order so need to just run out first!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Lexi, it's only been a couple of days but you were right about the Differin, the 1% is much more gentle than the .5 retin A. What I'm doing is using the Differin on my neck and under eye area which are super sensitive and staying with the retin A on my face.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yep! That is a great idea. I used it on my eye area and it worked great, unfortunately it did stop working and then I changed to retin-a again. It is so much gentler that it is well worth it if you can get the results you want from it!

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Hi there, I've been using Retin-A at .05 for wrinkles, along with a Vit C serum and have seen good results (I've been using it for about 8 months now).

I went to a new derm and he gave me a perscription for Differin cream 1%. Has anyone tried the Differin for wrinkles and if so what was your experience? Did you like it better/worse than Retin A.

Thanks.......I'm a bit nervous about switching
You will be fine switching, although the 0.1% is for sensitive skin, or people with mild acne. It may not be strong enough for you, if you are using it for wrinkle purposes. There is also a 0.3% you might want to try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update on the Differin, I think it's great in that I believe I'm getting the same impact as the retin a but it is gentler on my skin. My skin is super sensitive and I'm happy with this.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
yes, remywill, stick with the differin, doctors often prescribe Differin to dark skinned patients or patients with pigmentation problems because it is SOOO gentle and gets the job done with worsening your condition, giving you redness/irritation/hyperpigmentation that Retin-A does for some people, etc. Differin is mainly for acne though, I have never heard of people use it for wrinkles since it doesnt cause aggressive peeling like Retin-A does which is why Retin-A is more of a wrinkle cream as well.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure what it's doing but it is working! My derm did prescribe it for wrinkles as luckily I'm past the acne phase in life

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Just an update on the Differin, I think it's great in that I believe I'm getting the same impact as the retin a but it is gentler on my skin. My skin is super sensitive and I'm happy with this.
Yes, differin would benefit those with sensitive skin. It is just hard to get a Rx for it unless you are acne prone. I have Rx for both Differin and RA. The RA just works better for me, my boys use the Differin as a spot treatment from time to time.

Remywill, are you applying the differin all over your face? Or just in certain areas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This isn't really a question about anti aging, but I know you're not supposed to use differin if you're going to be out in the sun or tanning, but I'm leaving for Arizona soon and I wanted to go tanning. I usually use differin every night before bed, but i've stopped using it for a few days because I don't want to burn really bad. How long should I not use differin before I go tanning? A few days? Weeks?
Thank you :)

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
This isn't really a question about anti aging, but I know you're not supposed to use differin if you're going to be out in the sun or tanning, but I'm leaving for Arizona soon and I wanted to go tanning. I usually use differin every night before bed, but i've stopped using it for a few days because I don't want to burn really bad. How long should I not use differin before I go tanning? A few days? Weeks?
Thank you :)
don't use it at all if you are going to be tanning. You will burn big time.

Shame shame you shouldn't be tanning sarah-
you will regret it later when you have wrinkles-I hope you at least wear sunscreen on your face, neck and chest area!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts