Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Increasinly medicine is starting to see aging as an actual disease and looking not only at superficial remedies to treat aging signs, but actual internal mechanisms to slow and stop aging. I personally do believe this as Progeria (Hutchinson-Gilford Syndrome) which triggers rapd aging in children afflicted with this, is an unequivocal disease. So if we consider a child's aging a disease, so too should we consider adult aging a disease that can be cured.

I personally am baffled at times to think that at 19 I could go into the sun, get a serious and painful sunburn, yet days later my skin was plump, elastic, and youthful. Yet today the same exposure causes extremely negative effects on me. My skin aging though coincided, ironically, to TWO events I can directly attribute to the aging, leading me to believe that I CAN NOT tan anymore but for a very controlled moderate exposure for health reasons (I do believe, as do many dermatologists, that the sun does offer some health benefits equally as much as some sunscreens are harmful, also proven as of late). That said, the first round of sun-damage was during an extended holiday in the tropics in which each day was sunny and I became so dark people thought I was mixed race. Following this I had turned 26 then 27 and that episode caught up to me with a vengance but was reversible.

Second and current skin issue is the crepe-paper skin which I initially attributed to UVA tanning beds I became obsessed with. It is often claimed these "do not do damage" but I find they do more damage than simple UVB and also they tend to and are proven to cause melanoma and because they effect the dermis they likely break down collagen and elastin which causes crepe-paper skin. My over-exfoliation has actually added to the degredation of the skin structure and I am now sun-avoiding and looking for good self-tanners as well .

This all said, while I think some aging is inevitable I know that some people defy aging and I think we have to start looking at internal age-defying mechanisms and if we allc ontribute we may crack a part of the code.

My goal of this thread is to have people share all thier "internal" anti-aging secrets.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I take a number of anti-aging supps outside of the typical ones most use.

melatonin, acetyl-l-carnitine, lipoic acid, benfotiamine, dhea, pregnenolone, resveratrol,
beta-alanine (same effect as carnosine) rhodiola, dmae

Here's an excellent supplement thread over at immort.org
While you do have to weed through some B.S. over there, they are generally in on the latest greatest when it comes to supps. I dont subscribe to many of their other goodies such as kryonics, living forever (who knows maybe one day
) etc.

Top 20 Supplements 2009 - ImmInst Forums

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peri! I take a lot of the one's you take, but do not take the DHEA because as someone who works out a lot I am afraid of converting it to testosterone and also had a friend that basically got very hairy taking it. Have you had any of these side effects?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thanks Peri! I take a lot of the one's you take, but do not take the DHEA because as someone who works out a lot I am afraid of converting it to testosterone and also had a friend that basically got very hairy taking it. Have you had any of these side effects?
Yes I shed like a bear.....just kiddin.....no side effects.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much DHEA do you take? I thought of trying it recently due to lack of libido (not like me) and the fact I am on the pill and think it is starting to effect my hormone balance. I think I may actually need it!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Lexi
It might be a good idea to have some hormone levels checked by your Dr. instead of adding a little of this, a little of that.
If you are perimenopausal, maybe a different approach is needed than The Pill.
Just a suggestion.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I do not want to live (here) forever. I just want to take care of the "house" that I have been given to live in and to look and feel as good as I can. And to enjoy life and others while I am here. That's it for me.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lexi
It might be a good idea to have some hormone levels checked by your Dr. instead of adding a little of this, a little of that.
Just a suggestion.
I had a hormone level test done about a year ago and had high normal estrogen levels and also high normal androgyns (from the adrenals). Doctor told me the androgenic hormones could have been causing my adult onset acne and I went back on a pill I started in Thailand Diane-35 which is not available in USA--it has cyproterone acetate in it and is good for acne, hirsutism and also the skin in general. It took care of my acne. But now I think I need to go get another level done because I think the anti-androgyn may well have lowered my endogenous androgenic hormone levels too much, also may account for some of the laxicity come to think of it! Good observation!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes like Fawnie said, getting your levels checked is ideal. I've done a home test on my dhea levels years ago. I need to do that again. Really need a few tests for all goodies I take.
I take around 50-75 mg of dhea

·
Administrator
33,802 Posts
Lexi
Just a suggestion.
Fawnie-
Exactly the same thing I said to my GP today!!! First off, why give me birth control, to control my hormones? Birth control is to control births, and this is why my husband is neutered.

I am headed to the bio doctor next week. I have had every test imaginable lately. I am having MAJOR hormone issues, yes I am 40, but age does not matter! Doctors want to go by age and by blood work, when really neither have anything to do with it. Just because a blood test shows your are in normal rage, normal to who?? Everyone is different. I don't want to take a hormone that is the generic Rx that every other person is taking. Not everyone wears the same size shoe. Bio-identicals are made specifically for you. It is hand made, by a compound pharmacy. Someone who has to mix and match until they get exactly what you are missing. Of course not everyone wants to go the Bio-identical route, not everyone can afford to pay for them, as they are not covered by your health insurance. But it is the route I have chosen. I will pay what ever it takes to not have my hair falling out, sleepless nights, dizzy, etc. Just replace what my body is lacking, so I can have hair, and sleep!

We all are not the same religion, some don't have a religion, some do. We all have our own beliefs. Choosing what you believe in is what is important. I believe the same goes for hormones. Some believe in them some don't. Some take them, some don't. Some believe in synthetic, some believe in bio-identical. That choice is up to you.

Anyone who is looking to take bio-identicals should really read Suzanne Somers books, Breakingthrough and The Sexy Years. I have read both and they are both excellent. Robin McGraws Whats Age Got To Do With It, is another one I have read. Very good as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Gymrat -- have you trield Oil of Primrose capsules. A friend had the same symptoms as you and after consultations with a couple of doctors, lots of pills -- nothing worked or she felt worse -- she started on the Primrose capsules plus several almonds a day and most of her symptoms have gone away.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes like Fawnie said, getting your levels checked is ideal. I've done a home test on my dhea levels years ago. I need to do that again. Really need a few tests for all goodies I take.
I take around 50-75 mg of dhea
I am going to do that. Where did you get the at home test? I definitely think I am lacking in andrigenic hormones now. This may actually also cause premature aging which worries me!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I am going to do that. Where did you get the at home test? I definitely think I am lacking in andrigenic hormones now. This may actually also cause premature aging which worries me!
beyondacenturyonline.com sells one
search....Hormone Test, Saliva at the site

1 - 14 of 14 Posts