Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that no one uses NORMAL skin care routines? Am I the only person that uses products that come from the spa or the pharmacy?

All of these magic skin care routines and what not have fruits and vegetables that would shame any grocery store.

Rub honey here, put papaya there, tossed salad here, fruit salad there...
What's the deal?

Also what's the deal with "natural" products? I'll take a well made product made in a multimillion dollar lab any day of the week over a half-assed product made in farmer joe's greenhouse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hahahaha, I totally agree freddy! I like a balance though, I like a lab that gets the majority of their ingredients from plants, but this is mostly because those plants are light years ahead of us in making chemicals. The skin care line I use has like 30 botanicals in most of their products, but they don't just mix this plant with this plant and call it even, they spend tons of money vigorously testing their products too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
and part of the reason I don't use things I cook up in my ******* is because I know that when I cook food to eat... well, let's just say that sometimes it doesn't go so well, lol.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Using natural ingredients can be kind of fun and they are usually harmless.
I never had wonderful results from any homemade concoctions though ... except agave masks.

Stay away from lemon unless you are heavily armed with sunscreen!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why is this in diet and exercise talk??

But anyway, I went through a phase where I was kind of obsessed with using food on my face, and I never got fantastic results either. I do like store-bought products with natural ingredients though, because my face has pointed out to me over and over and OVER again that it doesn't like harsh chemicals!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't need to buy products with harsh chemicals then. Look for gentles ones. People have a problem associated chemicals with something harsh like toilet bowl cleaner or something. Plant extracts are chemicals too. You just have to know what to look for.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Reflecting back, Freddy, when I was concocting home remedies, I did not have the money to buy the products you are talking about.

I remember pinching pennies to just purchase frizz control serum when I started teaching.
In the last 4 years, since I have had more money to play with, I have been buying products with natural ingredients but I have also spent THOUSANDS of dollars.

So, if there were any way that home remedies, could have filled me up and made me beautiful, I would have been eternally grateful, but it turns out that I did not find a miracle in my *******. It was kind of fun trying.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My grandmother had peaches and cream complexion until she died at 86. All her "cosmetics" were her own concoctions -- wish I paid attention. (I do remember an oatmeal and buttermilk face mask)

·
Registered
576 Posts
my Grandma Babe (mom's side) did that too. She didn't trust anything from a bottle. She did not even see a doctor from 39 yrs old after she had my mom to 96 yrs old when they removed her from her house to live in a nursing home.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Using natural ingredients can be kind of fun and they are usually harmless.
I never had wonderful results from any homemade concoctions though ... except agave masks.

Stay away from lemon unless you are heavily armed with sunscreen!
Thanks for the sunscreen tip, Dragonlilly. I have been using lemon juice for my spots for a while. I love using homemade remedies too and some of them really do work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why is it that no one uses NORMAL skin care routines? Am I the only person that uses products that come from the spa or the pharmacy?

All of these magic skin care routines and what not have fruits and vegetables that would shame any grocery store.

Rub honey here, put papaya there, tossed salad here, fruit salad there...
What's the deal?

Also what's the deal with "natural" products? I'll take a well made product made in a multimillion dollar lab any day of the week over a half-assed product made in farmer joe's greenhouse.
I'm with you on that Freddie! I'll take store bought products as long as they get the job done. I don't mind "natrual" products if it gave me the same results. I'm not really a natrual product kinda girl. I do agree when you said you have to know what your looking for there are some gentle products out there that may have a lil chemical but not enough to harm you. I mean do some of you just buy the product because it says organic or natrual? Or do you actually take the time to read every ingredient to make sure its 100% natrual. Sometimes I think people just buy it because it says organic, or natrual when in fact some of those products do contain chemicals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts