Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I'm attempting to make my own G&G oil and I got my kojic acid, uva ursi powder and vegetable glycerin (to substitute the propelyn glycol) and I'm having trouble dissolving the uva ursi. Does anyone know?

Thank you in advance loves!

·
Banned
67 Posts
I always thought bearberry was water soluble 🤔 anyway I googled it and soooo many different methods and it drives a indecisive person like me crazy. Have you tried contacting the person you bought it from?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always thought bearberry was water soluble 🤔 anyway I googled it and soooo many different methods and it drives a indecisive person like me crazy. Have you tried contacting the person you bought it from?
I bought it at an herbal shop, they didn’t know lol A girl on YouTube said to use water and glycerin but when I do it, it doesn’t completely dissolve I don’t get it

·
Banned
67 Posts
I bought it at an herbal shop, they didn’t know lol A girl on YouTube said to use water and glycerin but when I do it, it doesn’t completely dissolve I don’t get it
DIY can be so frustrating I feel your pain girl. If you can make it threw the trial and error storm there will for sure be a rainbow at the end. I found this article with detailed instructions hopefully it helps you

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may sound a little silly but I wonder if I can just filter it out in a coffee maker.....similar to how you would get caffeine from coffee grinds. I mean, people make tea out of this stuff I don't see why it couldn't work the same way.

·
Banned
67 Posts
This may sound a little silly but I wonder if I can just filter it out in a coffee maker.....similar to how you would get caffeine from coffee grinds. I mean, people make tea out of this stuff I don't see why it couldn't work the same way.
Girl I was thinking the same thing! Get you one of those cheap thin paper unbleached coffee filters and go to town. My only concern would be the coffee machines temperature,I know those things get super hot and in the article it didn’t say whether or not the powder needed to be heated . can you set a temperature on the coffee machine?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Girl I was thinking the same thing! Get you one of those cheap thin paper unbleached coffee filters and go to town. My only concern would be the coffee machines temperature,I know those things get super hot and in the article it didn’t say whether or not the powder needed to be heated . can you set a temperature on the coffee machine?
That's a great point!!! On mine I can't. I gotta look this up. I'll tell you what I find

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay update: THE MIX IS WORKING.

so ive been testing it out on just one arm and using a roid mix for the other. The side I’ve been using my Kojic mix on is lighter than the roid side LOL. So I’m not sure if the uva powder dissolved correctly or not but whatever I did, I’m seeing results.

·
Registered
8 Posts

so ive been testing it out on just one arm and using a roid mix for the other. The side I’ve been using my Kojic mix on is lighter than the roid side LOL. So I’m not sure if the uva powder dissolved correctly or not but whatever I did, I’m seeing results.
Can you post a tutorial for how you made it please?

·
Banned
67 Posts

That’s so good to hear!! Congrats girl, welcome to the DIY club

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you post a tutorial for how you made it please?
TUTORIAL:
Dissolve the Kojic Acid via double boil method.
If you've never dissolved kojic acid before- you want to fill a pan with regular water and put a cup of the solution you're using to dissolve your kojic inside of the pan filled with water. I use witchhazel to dissolve mine but you can use rose oil too (just not tap water). I make sure that my cup of witchhazel is at least 104 degrees before removing it from the pan. Once the cup is out of the pan, I put 1/4 of Kojic acid in the witchazel and mix it. If it doesn't oxidize to a tone of orange, your solution wasn't hot enough (learned that the hard way).

After I make the kojic acid, I start on dissolving the uva ursi. First, I mix water with vegetable glycerin and make sure those are well mixed. Then, I put the veggie glycerin mix in a bowl with a spoonful of my uva ursi. I mix it all together until the water is a deep brown color. Because I still don't know how to fully dissolve it, sometimes I'm left with a little gritty substance from the particles that did not dissolve all the way but as long as the water is that deep brown color, enough has mixed. (I spend a few minutes mixing it, releasing the powder bubbles and everything so it'll take you longer to mix this than it will to mix the kojic with a solution.) I'll try the coffee filter method and let you guys know if that affects my mix at all.

After dissolving the uva ursi, I put my kojic and uva ursi together in a droplet container and shake it up. I put the mix in the freezer for a few minutes to help it cool down before I put it on.

The next thing I want to learn to create is a chemical sunscreen because that was also in the G&G oil. I'm just not sure what I need to do it though. I hope this made sense.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And I'm not sure why the tutorial on dissolving the bearberry dissolves so easy! I'm doing exactly what she did 😭

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love how I came across this post as I was thinking about the same thing. It is water soluble and yes you mix it in a double boiler- ideally in distilled water.
I think they say you can dissolve it in alcohol and rose water but just mix it in distilled water and pour it inside the lotion/cream or whatever it is you're mixing it with as soon as
its dissolved in distilled water.
I also found out just recently that you need an emulsifier when mixing it with an lotion. Even though the lotion may be water based, it still has oils which make you wonder..
how does oil and water mix? They apparently use an emulsifier to mix water and oil together.

let me find the tutorial on youtube that I found outlining how to mix AA and kojic acid powder into a lotion.
this lady has like a WHOLE bunch of ingredients that seem unecessary as well. like oils to make the shit smell good which isnt necessary hhahaha.
Ill get back to you soon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay update: Mix is still doing great. I just added MSM and NAC to my regimen. I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and picked both up however, the MSM bottle strategically says "joint health" does that matter? Or is certain MSM pills built for different things because so far, I've experienced weird headaches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts