Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I finally bought my kojic acid powder and I dissolved it in witch hazel and then mixed it into cetaphil. I also exfoliate with kojie San soap. I’ve been putting my diy lotion on nightly for about two weeks, not too many results and I’m wondering if it’s because I should have dissolved the KA in something different. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Hi everyone!

I finally bought my kojic acid powder and I dissolved it in witch hazel and then mixed it into cetaphil. I also exfoliate with kojie San soap. I’ve been putting my diy lotion on nightly for about two weeks, not too many results and I’m wondering if it’s because I should have dissolved the KA in something different. Any thoughts?
you can dissolve KA powder directly in your lotion you just give it time to melt then you mix it together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How much percentage of kojic acid did you get altogether i want to buy the powder too but i dont know how to mix it for maximum result.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much percentage of kojic acid did you get altogether i want to buy the powder too but i dont know how to mix it for maximum result.
I’m not sure the percentage. I put a teaspoon in a small amount of witch hazel and heated it up to dissolve it

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: it’s been almost a month and a half and still nothing. I’m trying to get the results I would get using G&G oil. Does anyone know where to buy it?!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Update: it’s been almost a month and a half and still nothing. I’m trying to get the results I would get using G&G oil. Does anyone know where to buy it?!
Well G/G is hq that’s why it worked.
Dark people specially black people need stronger products. I think Alpha arbutin is good since it’s a natural form of hq. Anyone know how to mix alpha arbutin?

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
@gymrat any suggestions?
Hello, @DelRehBaby, any suggestions on what?? How to dissolve KA? warm water......as for how much to use, follow the usage rate guideline from the manufacture you purchased from.....it will tell you the % to use. I use KA from Makingcosmetics.

Hope that helps, if I didn't cover something let me know and I will gladly help you out!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@gymrat well I had to make a new mix because the one I made ran out. I read somewhere that the kojic acid powder isn't sustainable and that I needed to make a mix that would last me 2 weeks. I noticed something I probably did incorrectly before: When I boiled the kojic with the witchhazel, I didn't boil the witchhazel first and then add the kojic to the mix. I also had my proportions all wrong and did not check the temperature of the witchhazel to begin with. I noticed I still had kojic crystals in the witchhazel after I boiled the mix.
This time I was very strategic. I boiled the witchhazel by double boil method and made sure it was at 74-102 degrees F and then added 1/4 tbsp of the kojic acid. I noticed that it dissolved better and the witchhazel actually changed color so I will update the thread after the next two weeks with an update because I think i did everything right this time around.

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
@gymrat well I had to make a new mix because the one I made ran out. I read somewhere that the kojic acid powder isn't sustainable and that I needed to make a mix that would last me 2 weeks. I noticed something I probably did incorrectly before: When I boiled the kojic with the witchhazel, I didn't boil the witchhazel first and then add the kojic to the mix. I also had my proportions all wrong and did not check the temperature of the witchhazel to begin with. I noticed I still had kojic crystals in the witchhazel after I boiled the mix.
This time I was very strategic. I boiled the witchhazel by double boil method and made sure it was at 74-102 degrees F and then added 1/4 tbsp of the kojic acid. I noticed that it dissolved better and the witchhazel actually changed color so I will update the thread after the next two weeks with an update because I think i did everything right this time around.
Boiling will ruin it completely........KA is very sensitive, who did you purchase KA from? Read all information that arrived with your powder....... @DeLraybaby, to dissolve KA........... Add to warm (25-40°C/77-104°F) water phase of formula. It can oxidize and lose some of its activity if put into hot water (>40°C/104°F).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@gymrat thank you for all of your help!! I have another question for you: I noticed the ingredients on the G&G oil contained bearberry. How would I go about adding that to my lotion? I found a bearberry powder on amazon but I haven’t seen any tutorials on how to dissolve it. Also, do you know what the base of the G&G oil is? I’d love to recreate it for myself due to how hydrating it was! I think that’s what made that product so effective for me.

Also, if anyone else has any information to add about the base of the G&G oil please add to the thread! ❤

As for an update on my new batch of lotion: I’ve been using it for a few days applying it at night. Nothing drastic yet of course but I am noticing very slight changes in my skin tone. My skin is beginning to look healthier.

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
@gymrat thank you for all of your help!! I have another question for you: I noticed the ingredients on the G&G oil contained bearberry. How would I go about adding that to my lotion? I found a bearberry powder on amazon but I haven’t seen any tutorials on how to dissolve it. Also, do you know what the base of the G&G oil is? I’d love to recreate it for myself due to how hydrating it was! I think that’s what made that product so effective for me.

Also, if anyone else has any information to add about the base of the G&G oil please add to the thread! ❤

As for an update on my new batch of lotion: I’ve been using it for a few days applying it at night. Nothing drastic yet of course but I am noticing very slight changes in my skin tone. My skin is beginning to look healthier.
The bearberry I have is an extract, its liquid, not powder, is water soluble, so its easy to work with. Used 4-8% safely. Give me the manufacture of the powder you have and I will look for more info for your particular form.

As for G&G oil ingredients, here is the listing....the texture you like is from the propylene glycol, its a humectant, gives you that hydrating feeling. So this is a great example of reading a label and you assuming its an "oil" base (by its label/name) when it truly isn't :eek:Propylene Glycol, Aqua (Water), Butylmethoxydibenzoylmethane (2%), Octyl Methoxycinnamate (0.5%), Sodium Metabisulfite, Kojic Acid, Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi Leaf Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, 2-Methyl-2H-isothiazol-3-one, Ci 19140 (Fd&C Yellow 5), Ci 15985 (Fd&C Yellow 6)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts