Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of creating a Kojic Acid Lotion (15-20%) and I might throw something else in there but I want to know if anyone has successfully made one and gotten good results from it.

I just notice no one ever talks about DIY Ka lotion, they just buy products with KA in them. So if anyone has any stories or tips please do share !

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I'm in the process of creating a Kojic Acid Lotion (15-20%) and I might throw something else in there but I want to know if anyone has successfully made one and gotten good results from it.

I just notice no one ever talks about DIY Ka lotion, they just buy products with KA in them. So if anyone has any stories or tips please do share !
That is waaaaaay too much Kojic Acid...most creams have 1-4% KA and I wouldn't push it over 8%

·
Registered
9,943 Posts

I agree with PriorityMale. I'm making my own KA cream and usually your supplier will put the recommended % of use. The % you're planning on using will definitely cause skin irritation. 1-5% is the most optimal %.

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
If you purchased your KA from Makingcosmetics recommend concentration is 1-3%. Not sure who you purchased from, but I would follow the sellers usage rate. Going above and beyond isn't always better.

As for why most purchase their KA products is because KA has a tendency to oxidize easily if not handled carefully.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts

Yaaaass, great thread @BeautifulTime : I'm also thinking of going the diy route but from the research I've done , the recommended KA % is 1-3% , although I know you can probably push it sloooowly upto 6-8% .... 15-20% please please please do not dare!!

Like Gymmie's said, KA is not too stable so you may wanna consider using Kojic Acid Dipalmitate (KAD) instead - though its believed that KAD is not as potent or effective as KA. Alternatively, make smaller batches of KA lotion/cream that you can use up very fast like say in a week or two max. to get the max. benefit ....

What base are you using to make your KA lotion..? Please share your receipe. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
If you purchased your KA from Makingcosmetics recommend concentration is 1-3%. Not sure who you purchased from, but I would follow the sellers usage rate. Going above and beyond isn't always better.

As for why most purchase their KA products is because KA has a tendency to oxidize easily if not handled carefully.
@gymrat : I read that KA begins to oxide once its mixed into a cream/lotion .... So, it can also "go bad" before huh ..?? Whats the best way to handle it please..??

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I agree with PriorityMale. I'm making my own KA cream and usually your supplier will put the recommended % of use. The % you're planning on using will definitely cause skin irritation. 1-5% is the most optimal %.
@Fluffington : How's your KA cream "delivering" hunny-boo ..? Please kindly share your receipe for me to copy-cat oooh .... & have you addded in there anything else or its just KA ... (Say like Vit.C or other lightening actives..)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm presently using my own DIY KA cream mixed in a base cream at 3% and it's really working great, just a few weeks and I started lightening, I didn't like the pale lightening though cuz my harder to lighten areas were looking a bit off so I added carrot cells to the mix and the colour its giving me is lovelier, downside is the stress of mixing cuz I have to do small batches so it doesn't go bad, I also added licorice,skin white BLE. So DIY KA works, you just have to be patient especially if you are not a virgin lightener and please stick to 3 or 4% max concentration. @BeautifulTime

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@PriorityMale Oh, Thanks for telling me, guys I was told in another thread to use 15-20% but I'm glad I haven't made it yet.

@Gymrat
The brand I found was Cebulea Pure Kojic Acid Powder 99.85%

@AIME http://cebulea.com/mix-kojic-acid-powder-into-lotions/

This link really helped me in how to make my KA lotion. They give alternative methods to make it. Hope this helps!

@Chocolatey

Could you share the recipe and percentage you used? Also how's it going considering you added in other products? I'm thinking of adding it Licorice, Mulberry or AA

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
@gymrat : I read that KA begins to oxide once its mixed into a cream/lotion .... So, it can also "go bad" before huh ..?? Whats the best way to handle it please..??
Yes, it can, to help prevent this use Vit E in your recipe. And keep it away from light and air as much as possible.

@PriorityMale Oh, Thanks for telling me, guys I was told in another thread to use 15-20% but I'm glad I haven't made it yet.

@Gymrat
Never heard of this and not sure I would trust it......... this is the only ingredient this person sells, and........it comes in a zip lock bag?? No thank you I will pass. This is the exact reason I stay with reputable companies who offer more information on the ingredients they sell and are done in a very professional manner. There is SO much more to selling ingredients then to just say heres Kojic Powder use it 1-2% in a lotion. You want more information then this, like the INCI , etc.

This looks like something being distributed out of someones garage.......you never know what your getting......and who knows what the effects will be.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[/QUOTE]

Never heard of this and not sure I would trust it......... this is the only ingredient this person sells, and........it comes in a zip lock bag?? No thank you I will pass. This is the exact reason I stay with reputable companies who offer more information on the ingredients they sell and are done in a very professional manner. There is SO much more to selling ingredients then to just say heres Kojic Powder use it 1-2% in a lotion. You want more information then this, like the INCI , etc.

This looks like something being distributed out of someones garage.......you never know what your getting......and who knows what the effects will be.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing until I looked up her reviews on eBay and she has a 100% rating and repeat customer. I also read her background and how she came from the phillipines and She's also creating a forum to teach how to make your own cold pressed Kojic acid soap and if you join her forum you get discounts on her products and tutorials on how to make lotions etc. I'm not sure, I'm straddling between Makingcosmetics and this one.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I'm presently using my own DIY KA cream mixed in a base cream at 3% and it's really working great, just a few weeks and I started lightening, I didn't like the pale lightening though cuz my harder to lighten areas were looking a bit off so I added carrot cells to the mix and the colour its giving me is lovelier, downside is the stress of mixing cuz I have to do small batches so it doesn't go bad, I also added licorice,skin white BLE. So DIY KA works, you just have to be patient especially if you are not a virgin lightener and please stick to 3 or 4% max concentration. @BeautifulTime
This is great info @Chocolatey ... Thanks for sharing hun ...

·
Registered
4,376 Posts

@Gymrat

@AIME http://cebulea.com/mix-kojic-acid-powder-into-lotions/

This link really helped me in how to make my KA lotion. They give alternative methods to make it. Hope this helps!

@Chocolatey

Could you share the recipe and percentage you used? Also how's it going considering you added in other products? I'm thinking of adding it Licorice, Mulberry or AA
Thanks a bunch gurlie .... :five:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Yes, it can, to help prevent this use Vit E in your recipe. And keep it away from light and air as much as possible ....
Thanks Gymmie. Had skipped on the Vit.E oil ...

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I thought the same thing until I looked up her reviews on eBay and she has a 100% rating and repeat customer. I also read her background and how she came from the phillipines and She's also creating a forum to teach how to make your own cold pressed Kojic acid soap and if you join her forum you get discounts on her products and tutorials on how to make lotions etc. I'm not sure, I'm straddling between Makingcosmetics and this one.[/QUOTE]

Please share the link to that forum ... Would be interesting to know how to make that kojic soap ... @BeautifulTime

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
Nope for sure count me out......wouldn't purchase any type of DIY ingredients from anyone on Ebay. I am just really cautious when it comes to ingredients. I always purchase from creditable companies for my DIY things as well as all my peels. When making your own products you have to purchase quality ingredients. Too many risks otherwise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope for sure count me out......wouldn't purchase any type of DIY ingredients from anyone on Ebay. I am just really cautious when it comes to ingredients. I always purchase from creditable companies for my DIY things as well as all my peels. When making your own products you have to purchase quality ingredients. Too many risks otherwise.

When you purchased your Kojic acid did you get it from Makingcosmetics? If so, Did you like it?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Oh , btw @gymrat , when making the diy ka lotion/cream, will any oil do or it must be Vit.E ..?

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
1 - 20 of 95 Posts