Skin Care Talk banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Yes, try to dissolve it first @AIME before adding it to your lotion. Then if you have a problem getting it dissolved you will know before ruining your lotion with grit.

Yep, totally fine, as long as your lotion is water based you are good to go :thumbsup: just follow the usage rate @AIME. Have questions you know where to find me :eek:
I hope it doesn't give me any problems dissolving , Thanks a bunch Gymmie!! @gymrat .. Now just waiting on my KA to arrive.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
@BeautifulTime , I don't think using la lotion just 2xs out of 10 will reduce ka's effectiveness, but its really up to you to decide... I love what ur concocting with those natural ingredients , Are you planning to add the ka there too or will you use this one separately? ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@BeautifulTime , I don't think using la lotion just 2xs out of 10 will reduce ka's effectiveness, but its really up to you to decide... I love what ur concocting with those natural ingredients , Are you planning to add the ka there too or will you use this one separately? ...
At first I was going to put them all in one but because KA is so unstable I'd hate for it to go bad because of one ingredient and then I'd have to throw it out :no_mouth: So maybe ill layer them instead ?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
At first I was going to put them all in one but because KA is so unstable I'd hate for it to go bad because of one ingredient and then I'd have to throw it out :no_mouth: So maybe ill layer them instead ?
That is true, But maybe you could take a little of the naturals lotion (i.e. use it as your base lotion) and mix just enough KA for say a week at a time :nixweiss: ... That way it stays "fresh" & you gain from all those yummies at the same time...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That is true, But maybe you could take a little of the naturals lotion (i.e. use it as your base lotion) and mix just enough KA for say a week at a time
... That way it stays "fresh" & you gain from all those yummies at the same time...

I never thought of it that way, I'll try it that way then. Thanks aime!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I never thought of it that way, I'll try it that way then. Thanks aime!
Ur welcome hun ... Please I'll be looking out for your update on how it works out ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
So i'm not sure if i did something wrong, but i tried to make 5% KA gel and this is how it turned out. I mixed 190ml hot water with 4 teaspoons for KA powder. I mixed and it didn't dissolve all the way so i put it on a stove on low heat for a couple minutes for it dissolve. i then added almost a teaspoon of guar guam after i removed it from the stove, that might have been too much. After i finished applying the gel it left a white cast on my skin. is that from the guar guam? also after a few minutes the gel began to crystallize again, so i threw out the rest. Did i do something wrong?

this is the gel after i mixed, i couldnt dissolve in all the guar gum. maybe put it on the stove with guar next time???
View attachment 28113
this is the gel on my skin
View attachment 28121 View attachment 28129
this is the gel crytallizing again after like 6mins :/
View attachment 28137 View attachment 28145
How can i better my method if anyone doesn't mind helping? thanks!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
So i'm not sure if i did something wrong, but i tried to make 5% KA gel and this is how it turned out. I mixed 190ml hot water with 4 teaspoons for KA powder. I mixed and it didn't dissolve all the way so i put it on a stove on low heat for a couple minutes for it dissolve. i then added almost a teaspoon of guar guam after i removed it from the stove, that might have been too much. After i finished applying the gel it left a white cast on my skin. is that from the guar guam? also after a few minutes the gel began to crystallize again, so i threw out the rest. Did i do something wrong?

this is the gel after i mixed, i couldnt dissolve in all the guar gum. maybe put it on the stove with guar next time???
View attachment 28113
this is the gel on my skin
View attachment 28121 View attachment 28129
this is the gel crytallizing again after like 6mins :/
View attachment 28137 View attachment 28145
How can i better my method if anyone doesn't mind helping? thanks!
I have never added KA to a gel. But what I would do is make the gel serum first. Then try dissolving the KA and adding it.

Remember in order to create a recipe your total volume needs to be 100%. So if you had 95% water you would still be lacking 5% of some sort of ingredient.......you follow what I am trying to say??

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never added KA to a gel. But what I would do is make the gel serum first. Then try dissolving the KA and adding it.

Remember in order to create a recipe your total volume needs to be 100%. So if you had 95% water you would still be lacking 5% of some sort of ingredient.......you follow what I am trying to say??
Thanks gymrat! That makes sense. I had 95% water (190ml) and 5% KA (10g powder). Should I make the gel and add the KA all while its heated on a stove? If it crystallizes again tonight, I guess I'll be adding it to a lotion or something.

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
Thanks gymrat! That makes sense. I had 95% water (190ml) and 5% KA (10g powder). Should I make the gel and add the KA all while its heated on a stove? If it crystallizes again tonight, I guess I'll be adding it to a lotion or something.
Have you ever made a simple plain serum? Do you distilled water and a preservative? Making a plain serum is super easy, I will help you if you have what you need. distilled water is important, not tap water.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@AIME Hey! I've been taking a break from using it because I just moved to Florida and when I tell you it's a disrespectful kind of heat down here. I feel like the sun is tanning me even though I'm in the house lol :snooty::snooty: so I'm going to wait until it cools down a little bit so I can see great results

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
No I haven't, and I've been using tap water.
Thank you I would love to how!
i was just about to purchase glycerin
To make a simple HA serum it requires HA powder, distilled water and a preservative.

98% Distilled water,
1% HA powder
1% preservative.

Measure out your ingredients, pour into a droppler bottle, set in the fridge for a few hours. Then give it a good shake a couple times during the day. The next day, give it a good shake, and you will have yourself a HA serum, that's it!! :icon_cheers:

HA powder can be found at a variety of DIY supply sites, as well as a preservative. Lotioncrafters, Bulkactives, Makingcosmetics, Garden of Wisdom, and so many others. Distilled water is a must, do not use tap as it contains minerals, etc you don't want in any of your DIY skincare. Distilled water is what you should use and keep on hand.
Also gymrat, would you know how I can avoid dermatitis from KA?
Is KA causing you dermatitis?? If so I would lower the % you use, if it continues, I would stop using it all together. That's a bummer, but it is common for a lot of people.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
@AIME Hey! I've been taking a break from using it because I just moved to Florida and when I tell you it's a disrespectful kind of heat down here. I feel like the sun is tanning me even though I'm in the house lol :snooty::snooty: so I'm going to wait until it cools down a little bit so I can see great results
I understand completely @BeautifulTime , when you start off please lemme know .... Happy summer!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
To make a simple HA serum it requires HA powder, distilled water and a preservative.

98% Distilled water,
1% HA powder
1% preservative.

Measure out your ingredients, pour into a droppler bottle, set in the fridge for a few hours. Then give it a good shake a couple times during the day. The next day, give it a good shake, and you will have yourself a HA serum, that's it!! :icon_cheers:

HA powder can be found at a variety of DIY supply sites, as well as a preservative. Lotioncrafters, Bulkactives, Makingcosmetics, Garden of Wisdom, and so many others. Distilled water is a must, do not use tap as it contains minerals, etc you don't want in any of your DIY skincare. Distilled water is what you should use and keep on hand.

Is KA causing you dermatitis?? If so I would lower the % you use, if it continues, I would stop using it all together. That's a bummer, but it is common for a lot of people.
Yes when I was using KA soap everyday, after 3 months I started getting red bumps. I'll lower the percentage and use it 3x week.
what preservative do you use?
What is HA? thank you for those instructions!

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
Yes when I was using KA soap everyday, after 3 months I started getting red bumps. I'll lower the percentage and use it 3x week.
what preservative do you use?
What is HA? thank you for those instructions!
Yes, for sure cut back on the soap and see if it helps. But also be careful what % you use in your DIY goods.

This is HA which is Hyaluronic Acid http://www.lotioncrafter.com/hyaluronic-acid-1.0-1.5-kDa.html
And this is what preservative I use, its easy to use and works in most things, is both water and oil soluble
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/phenoxyethanol.html

41 - 60 of 95 Posts