Skin Care Talk banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am so glad I found this thread! I was looking for a kojic acid cream for my dark knuckles knees and elbows but finally, I will make it myself. I was able to lighten them with a TCA peel but they got darker a month later, especially my knuckles.... I have ordered some KAD to mix in some shea butter, I hope it will work :eek:

·
Registered
528 Posts
nice.. am looking forward in making my own ka lotion cause this store brand are so pricey plus u have to boost with alot of serum.

·
Registered
378 Posts
How does KA look like? I ordered some and its like a cream colored powder. No crystals. I tried dissolving it mildly warm water but it just settled at the bottom and stayed exactly the way it was before adding water. Is he water not hot enough? Is it supposed to be a creamy colored POWDER?

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
How does KA look like? I ordered some and its like a cream colored powder. No crystals. I tried dissolving it mildly warm water but it just settled at the bottom and stayed exactly the way it was before adding water. Is he water not hot enough? Is it supposed to be a creamy colored POWDER?
@shallalah yes its a creamy off white colored powder. You don't want your water hot by any means, but definitely warm. When you mixed it with water it wouldn't have stayed like a powder......did it clump? Where did you purchase it from?

·
Registered
378 Posts
@shallalah yes its a creamy off white colored powder. You don't want your water hot by any means, but definitely warm. When you mixed it with water it wouldn't have stayed like a powder......did it clump? Where did you purchase it from?
Yes it clumped. I got it from aliexpress :nixweiss:

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
So what happens if the KA crystallizes in my lotion? How do you prevent that?
I've never had it crystalize. What recipe are you using? How much of each are you using and how are you measuring the amounts? What is the usage rate on the KA you currently have? If you continue to have trouble with it I would contact the supplier, they should be able to help you with any questions or issue you have with it.

See what it looks like tomorrow and try stirring it up again and if it starts to dissolve. Take a pic of it if you can, I would like to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So i ordered some KA from makingcosmetics and it looks the same as the one from aliexpress. I tried dissolving it in warm water but i think i wasnt using enough water cuz the powder just settled to the bottom while a small amount of it mixed and became cloudy.

I then put that into my lotion and when i looked today, there were bigger crystals then before. I feel like it only takes one undissolved crystal to cause a chain reaction for every KA molecule to crystallize.

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
So i ordered some KA from makingcosmetics and it looks the same as the one from aliexpress. I tried dissolving it in warm water but i think i wasnt using enough water cuz the powder just settled to the bottom while a small amount of it mixed and became cloudy.

I then put that into my lotion and when i looked today, there were bigger crystals then before. I feel like it only takes one undissolved crystal to cause a chain reaction for every KA molecule to crystallize.
How much are you using?? What are the % of each, your KA and your base lotion?

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im using this recipe:

https://cebulea.com/mix-kojic-acid-powder-into-lotions/

I doubled the amount of kojic acid because i want a 4-5% concentration. The recipe is for a 2.18%. My lotion looks smooth and a creamy beige color but when i apply it on to my skin i can see little shiny pieces of crystals.

I'm very interested in this recipe . What ingredient are you using to keep the Kojic acid from oxidizing ?

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
Im using this recipe:

https://cebulea.com/mix-kojic-acid-powder-into-lotions/

I doubled the amount of kojic acid because i want a 4-5% concentration. The recipe is for a 2.18%. My lotion looks smooth and a creamy beige color but when i apply it on to my skin i can see little shiny pieces of crystals.
It could be because you are using 4-5% KA typical usage rate is 1-3%. Have you tried re heating the cream to see if you can get it to dissolve completely? What I would do is light a candle and hold your container over a candle and then stir stir stir. Try not letting the cream get too warm but warm enough to make a difference.

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
I'm very interested in this recipe . What ingredient are you using to keep the Kojic acid from oxidizing ?
you can use vitamin E tocopherol or BHT to reduce oxidation, and or make small batches, which I always recommend :thumbsup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
It could be because you are using 4-5% KA typical usage rate is 1-3%. Have you tried re heating the cream to see if you can get it to dissolve completely? What I would do is light a candle and hold your container over a candle and then stir stir stir. Try not letting the cream get too warm but warm enough to make a difference.
Yes i tried reheating it. I used a warm water bath to reheat my lotion because im scared i might overheat it. Most of it dissolved but when i looked at it the next morning, i saw the same tiny clear crystals. I dont want to keep reheating it whenever i use it. That would be such a hassle. This is very depressing...

·
Registered
239 Posts
you can use vitamin E tocopherol or BHT to reduce oxidation, and or make small batches, which I always recommend:thumbsup:
thanks @gymrat ! Also the sea butter is working on the marks . Not a big difference but I do see little change so I know with continuous use it will fade the marks .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im just mixing it in my regular lotion which already has preservatives but i did add a tiny amount of vit E.
alright cool . Let me know if it lightens the same as G&G if you've used the cream before . It sucks that 5% is the highest Kojic can go to .

61 - 80 of 95 Posts