Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...I would need some help in formulating 3% kojic acid cream for face and 5% kA lotion for body.
I have goat milk lotion as my base.
What I have in hand now
- KA powder 99%
- rosehip oil
- Grapseed oil
- Beta carotene powder
- Niacinamide powder
- alpha Aburtin powder
- tea tree oil

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey @Brownmom from my search on the internet the measurement for KA is 2.5g to (118ml or 4oz of lotion) for a 2% KA lotion
so 3% should be 3.75ml/g.

And 5% should 6.25ml/g per 4oz /118ml lotion.
KA is usually recommended at 4% at the highest tho

**conversion from oz to ml is Xoz multiplied by 29.5= Xml

KA is to be dissolved in heat
same goes for the arbutin powder

niacinamide does not require heat
thats all I know
@gymrat please check this out. I know you're great at compounding

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Niacinamide is water soluble, so is KA. You can use room temp water or warm it just a bit, either way it should dissolve, with little effort. If your base is water base it will be fine.

As for the ingredients.......not sure I would add oils to a lotion, as it may get too heavy for the skin. I guess the question is what are you wanting out of this mix? Why tea tree oil?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well .. thanks for replays, I'm zero into formulating anything 😂🤣 I thought I could add oils into the lotion and since I have them lying around my house , but if not necessary I can use them to make my Skin building butter.

So KA and Niacinamide is a good mix and enough to lighten ? Do I need to add Alpha auburtin?
Here is my base lotion ..is a simple has no lightening addictives..I will leave a photo and ingredients.

Attachments

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Your lotion is a water based lotion, so why don't you add the KA, Niacinamide, and AA. 3% KA, 5% Niacinamide, and 2% AA would be a good start. I wouldn't add any of the other ingredients that you listed, these 3 would be good. If you felt the lotion wasn't moisturizing enough then layer a bit of grapeseed oil over it or put a drop or two in the palm of your hand and mix with your mix prior to applying it. Either or is ok.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your lotion is a water based lotion, so why don't you add the KA, Niacinamide, and AA. 3% KA, 5% Niacinamide, and 2% AA would be a good start. I wouldn't add any of the other ingredients that you listed, these 3 would be good. If you felt the lotion wasn't moisturizing enough then layer a bit of grapeseed oil over it or put a drop or two in the palm of your hand and mix with your mix prior to applying it. Either or is ok.
I'm going to try my hands on this..I'm already getting too much backlash on how it is unchristian to alter the way God has made me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks dear....
So my lotion is 200ml that i want to mix
Do you know how many ml i should mix to get
KA 5%
Niacinamide 2%
AA 3%.

Can i use this Mixtur on my face too or will be too harsch?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dear....
KA 5%
Niacinamide 2%
AA 3%.

Also do i need to Add preservertive? If yes which one do u recommend

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Thanks dear....
KA 5%
Niacinamide 2%
AA 3%.

@Brownmom do you have a scale to measure your ingredients? or tell me how your measuring your powders etc? To answer your question it would take 10.0 ml of KA, 4.0 ml of Niacinamide, and 6.0 ml of AA. If you have a scale, its much easier to measure in grams. If you want suggestions for the scale I use let me know!

No, you don't need a preservative, your base already contains one.

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
I'm going to try my hands on this..I'm already getting too much backlash on how it is unchristian to alter the way God has made me.
Hypocritical MUCH!! This is pure nonsense, what do they call woman who color their hair? is that unchristian like as well?? I'd pay zero attention to anyone who said that to me, their just jealous @jcole remember this.....those that mind, don't matter, and those that matter, don't mind :thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks dear....
KA 5%
Niacinamide 2%
AA 3%.

@Brownmom do you have a scale to measure your ingredients? or tell me how your measuring your powders etc? To answer your question it would take 10.0 ml of KA, 4.0 ml of Niacinamide, and 6.0 ml of AA. If you have a scale, its much easier to measure in grams. If you want suggestions for the scale I use let me know!

Thanks alot Gymrat...i habe a small Kirchen scale , i dont know if that will do. Which one do u recommend?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks dear....
KA 5%
Niacinamide 2%
AA 3%.

Thanks alot Gymrat...i habe a small Kirchen scale , i dont know if that will do. Which one do u recommend?
This what i have gymrat

Attachments

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
This what i have gymrat
YES this is perfect!! So measure your ingredients in grams.

KA 9.59 grams
Niacinamide 3.83 grams
AA 5.75 grams
Base lotion 172.55 grams

This above will give you 200 mls of cream. Fine to use on your face and body.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
This what i have gymrat
YES this is perfect!! So measure your ingredients in grams.

KA 9.59 grams
Niacinamide 3.83 grams
AA 5.75 grams
Base lotion 172.55 grams

This above will give you 200 mls of cream. Fine to use on your face and body.
@gymrat when measuring on a scale like this do you add the powder/lotion directly to the scale or do you put it in a container first then the scale to measure?

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
@gymrat when measuring on a scale like this do you add the powder/lotion directly to the scale or do you put it in a container first then the scale to measure?
So on a scale like this you want to "tare" it first, read this, this will explain how to go about that. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+tare+a+digital+scale

Then get your empty container that you will be using, set it on the scale, hit "tare" again, once its at zero, slowly start adding your first ingredient. Once you get to the desired amount, tare it again, then start measuring your next ingredient, etc. Am I making sense to you? If not just ask, I'm happy to explain until you fully understand. @saucey

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
So on a scale like this you want to "tare" it first, read this, this will explain how to go about that. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+tare+a+digital+scale

Then get your empty container that you will be using, set it on the scale, hit "tare" again, once its at zero, slowly start adding your first ingredient. Once you get to the desired amount, tare it again, then start measuring your next ingredient, etc. Am I making sense to you? If not just ask, I'm happy to explain until you fully understand. @saucey
@gymrat got it! Thanks a bunch 🙂

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think i bought wrong products.. @gymrat are this for cosmetics ? I mean for diy ing cream or lotion? I dead 😪

Another Q: does Kojic acid dipalmitate work same as Kojic acid ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Your fine with this @Brownmom. I have never used from PureBulk but I know others who do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This question is for gymrat and everyone else, please help if you can. I’m also considering a DIY kojic acid lotion.

So if I mix

10.0 ml of KA
4.0 ml of Niacinamide
6.0 ml of AA
With a 200 ml lotion bottle that would be enough?

Not heating, no preservatives? Do I need to do a weekly batch or is it ok to do it all at once? It wouldn’t oxidize or lose its potency?

If this is the case you suggest a well known water-based base lotion that I can find in the supermarket/drug store?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts