Skin Care Talk banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
Thanks gymrat.

I decided to add a kojic acid lotion to my regime, does anyone know if I can mix Kojic acid powder, nacanmide powder and alpha Arbutin powder with Cetaphil lotion directly without heating, water or preservatives? I’ll make 100 ml weekly.

I’ll also add supplements. here’s what I’m taking: 1000g vitamin c, 600g s-acetyl l-glutathione, a hair supplement (Priorin) and 120g grape seed extract (for blood circulation and health)

I’m scared of mega dosing so what’s a reasonable dose of MSM powder that will make a difference? Should I also take niacinamide powder orally?
Please go back and read post #5 and #9, all your questions are answered in this thread.

As for the supplements, read what the RDA (recommended dietary allowance) is for each. RDA is the value to be used in guiding healthy individuals to achieve adequate nutrient intake. Each supplement has a RDA. Its a great starting point. Once you start taking a supplement, mark on your calendar and re evaluate 4 weeks later, at that time, if you feel a difference or see a difference, leave it just as it is, or up the intake. If you are ever worried about dosing, etc, ALWAYS follow the RDA guideline. @Skinandwhatnot

· Registered
90 Posts
Thank you so much gymrat for all the info. I’ll follow the FDA guidelines as you said. Btw I do read all the posts, you’re the best and I learn a lot from you.

Just one last question. I bought a collagen cream by Advanced Clinics from Amazon, just received it today. it has good reviews and I don’t want it to go to waste. I think it’s not water based, so if I wanna mix my powders with it should I first dissolve it in water? How much water for 6ml of AA, 10mp of KA, and 4 ml of niacinamide?

Thanks again.

Link of the cream if anyone’s interested: https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Clinicals-Collagen-Rescue-Lotion/dp/B00DI9C986

· Registered
384 Posts

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
Thank you so much gymrat for all the info. I’ll follow the FDA guidelines as you said. Btw I do read all the posts, you’re the best and I learn a lot from you.

Just one last question. I bought a collagen cream by Advanced Clinics from Amazon, just received it today. it has good reviews and I don’t want it to go to waste. I think it’s not water based, so if I wanna mix my powders with it should I first dissolve it in water? How much water for 6ml of AA, 10mp of KA, and 4 ml of niacinamide?

Thanks again.

Link of the cream if anyone’s interested: https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Clinicals-Collagen-Rescue-Lotion/dp/B00DI9C986
Just seeing this @Skinandwhatnot next time @mention me and I will see it sooner, I'm sorry! Thank you for the kind words :heart:

As for your lotion, look at the very first ingredient listed....its water, so your good to go! Its water based :eek:

· Registered
90 Posts
When I mix the following dissolved powders:
12.0 ml of KA
6.0 ml of Niacinamide
8.0 ml of AA
In a 200 ml lotion. What are the concentrations?

6% KA, 3% Niacinamide, and 4% AA?
Am I calculating this wrong?

I made this mix couple of days ago and I think it’s too strong for my face. I really want to know what are the concentrations. Help anyone?

· Registered
384 Posts
12.0 ml of KA
6.0 ml of Niacinamide
8.0 ml of AA
In a 200 ml lotion. What are the concentrations?

I made this mix couple of days ago and I think it’s too strong for my face. I really want to know what are the concentrations. Help anyone?
Your total cream volume is 226ml. So it seems like you have:
5.3% KA
2.7% niacinamide
3.5% AA

It should be fine.

· Registered
384 Posts
Thank you @shallalah ! How is your lotion working so far?
No problem! The diy I made was too strong for my face as well because I used it once and it peeled my skin pretty bad. I didnt experience PIH or anything but I laid off on usage on my face. Currently I'm trying to finish it on my body before it gets more yellow. It's peeling my body as well

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
12.0 ml of KA
6.0 ml of Niacinamide
8.0 ml of AA
In a 200 ml lotion
. What are the concentrations?

YES! You are correct with the measurements you have above. Remember your mixing this into 200ml of base lotion, that's the total volume.

@Skinandwhatnot

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
Hmm I've been thinking about whipping up a KA lotion myself...
G&G is gone and I can't seem to trust anything else atm
Hello everyone :)
Cough, cough..........where have you been hiding Mr @PriorityMale haven't seen you in the hood in a LONG time :knuddel: how are things?? Struggling to find G&G? Heck in Cali were lucky to find toilet paper right now :p

· Registered
3,190 Posts
Cough, cough..........where have you been hiding Mr @PriorityMale haven't seen you in the hood in a LONG time :knuddel: how are things?? Struggling to find G&G? Heck in Cali were lucky to find toilet paper right now :p
Where have you been Mr P, @PriorityMale you vanished just like that along with your two beautiful ladies @moon and @hipvalley
Welcome back hope you are here to stay.

Hello ladies hope you've been doing well! I've just been dealing with lifes ups and downs. Haven't really used a lightening cream in like a year or so because of financial reasons. I don't really trust any lightening company and I can't find a kojic based cream/lotion here that's trusted and inexpensive on SCT which is why I considered just making my own.

Right now I'm using Amlactin and Kojie San and Retin A.
My main goal is to have an even skin tone, if I slack off of exfoliation (which I have) I revert back to unevenness. My underarms and inner thighs are the lightest part of my body yet almost everywhere is 2x - 3x darker :(

I've considered maybe using 40% LA Peel but that last time I did that I burned myself :/

· Registered
2,899 Posts
Hello ladies hope you've been doing well! I've just been dealing with lifes ups and downs. Haven't really used a lightening cream in like a year or so because of financial reasons. I don't really trust any lightening company and I can't find a kojic based cream/lotion here that's trusted and inexpensive on SCT which is why I considered just making my own.

Right now I'm using Amlactin and Kojie San and Retin A.
My main goal is to have an even skin tone, if I slack off of exfoliation (which I have) I revert back to unevenness. My underarms and inner thighs are the lightest part of my body yet almost everywhere is 2x - 3x darker :(

I've considered maybe using 40% LA Peel but that last time I did that I burned myself :/
welcome back, good lightening is not cheap especially when you want to be consistent with a goal. I will advise you not to burn yourself as damage from chemical burn could affect your confidence and social life just take things slow.

· Registered
90 Posts
My DIY Kojic acid lotion is beige in color right now. It’s not completely yellow. Can I still use it? I made it 11 days ago and I kept it in a dark drawer. I only used it a few times so it wasn’t exposed to air a lot.

If it’s usable now how many days can I still use it? Should I only stop when it’s completely yellow?

Attachments

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
My DIY Kojic acid lotion is beige in color right now. It’s not completely yellow. Can I still use it? I made it 11 days ago and I kept it in a dark drawer. I only used it a few times so it wasn’t exposed to air a lot.

If it’s usable now how many days can I still use it? Should I only stop when it’s completely yellow?
Yes you can still use it, it may not be as effective but its still usable. The color change just means it has oxidized which happens fairly quick with KA. Next time wrap foil around your container or use another container that isn't clear.

· Registered
90 Posts
@gymrat thank you! <3 I’ve been using amlactin lotion for a week and did couple of lactic acid peel and I feel like my arms have lightend slightly. After one application of Kojic acid lotion my hands turned very red, I don’t know if they necessarily turned darker or just red. The redness/darkness have calmed down a bit but I feel my arms are still red/ tanned to some extents. I was in the sun for like one minute couple of times during the day so I don’t know if that’s the reason. @gymrat I’ll message you some pictures if I can so you see what I’m talking about. Is that okay?

· Registered
2 Posts
YES this is perfect!! So measure your ingredients in grams.

KA 9.59 grams
Niacinamide 3.83 grams
AA 5.75 grams
Base lotion 172.55 grams

This above will give you 200 mls of cream. Fine to use on your face and body.
Hi Gymrat
For this recipe do I need to dilute the powders in water first or mix it directly with the lotion?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts