Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to make a 45% la peel Tomorrow by diluting my 90% la I got from lotioncrafter with distilled water. The la has a ph of 0.6 so hopefully the distilled water will raise it to an acceptable exfoliating range. I have one single ph strip left but more are on order. Anyways my la is already in liquid form, and mixing it with distilled water will make it even more watery. I plan to do a half and half mix. My question is are DIY peels usually watery like this and if so is there any way to thicken it up? I know my MUAC la peel was buffered and had a nice syrup consistency to it so I didn't have to worry about it running into my eyes or mouth Thanks!!

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm talking about the peels actually like DIY la peel where you mix lactic acid and distilled water together. I'm mixing half 90% la and half water together to get a 45% la peel and I know it will be super watery and I don't want it to run in my eyes or mouth

· Registered
11 Posts
Hi 51! I also have lc's 90% and its watery as heck....I just have to be very careful of how I apply it....and also layer it...I know that's not an answer to your question lol but I will do some research and if I find anything I will definitley share....just an idea: look into muac ingredients and determine what they used as thickeners...lotion crafters sells thickeners on their website...not sure of proper method but just hoping to speed up your research hopefully :)

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks :) , I have a fan brush I think I'll just have to be super careful and wipe my brush and take It slow around my eyes and eyebrows above my eyes. The la is great for making lotion but peel it doesn't seem to be so lol well see tonight! Do keep me updated on what you find thanks ! :)

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm doing it now and it seems less intense than my MUAC 40% one for some off reason . I did half tablespoon 90% la and half table spoon of purified / distilled water. I checked the ph and it said 2 but that's the lowest reading. I wouldn't say it's too much lower than 2 tho proabally around 2. How long to wait to apply a second layer if I want to layer it?

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even when I apply the baking soda and water mix the fizzle is less intense and loud than the MUAC one. And it doesn't get really warm when I neutralize it like the MUAC 40% . I did mix half And half so it has to be 45% at a ph of at least 2. It sounds as if the fizzle isn't as intense so I assume its not as strong....

· Administrator
34,240 Posts
I'm doing it now and it seems less intense than my MUAC 40% one for some off reason . I did half tablespoon 90% la and half table spoon of purified / distilled water. I checked the ph and it said 2 but that's the lowest reading. I wouldn't say it's too much lower than 2 tho proabally around 2. How long to wait to apply a second layer if I want to layer it?
I would wait approx 3-5 mins between layers. Watery peels can be tricky. I apply all my peels with a brush. I put a good layer of Aquaphor under my eyes, and over my eyebrows, on my lips and in my nostrils. This will help build a barrier so it's harder for the peel to run on those areas. When they are runny it is easier to apply them with a brush. Just take your time.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I've taken my time and am gunna apply vaseline next time. So far DIY peels arnt my favorite. I like the buffered syrupy ones that don't run everywhere and you can easily see where you've placed it. The ph and percentage are also certain. I might get more MUAC la peels for my face and I can do DIY peels for my arms and neck. It's just that the eyes and lips are tricky spots lol.

· Administrator
34,240 Posts
@gymrat is LA peel with only diluted water and LA effective?
@AstronikS if you are making your own peel you would dilute Lactic Acid with distilled water, not tap water or bottle water has to be distilled. IF you have a LA "peel" already it doesn't need to be diluted unless you feel its too strong. Hope this helps, if not, let me know!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts