Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

For over 25 yrs. I used SPF 15 sunscreen as a moisturizer after washing my face in the mornings. Never gave it much thought really. I lived in FL year round and always had it on hand. It was cheap and convenient.

In the last year I have been researching anti-aging ingredients and treatments and have become reluctant to put chemicals on my face that don't have "nutrient" properties, so to speak. I still use sunscreen, but now not unless I'm going to be out in the sun for more than 15 min.

For some time I've been considering adding zinc oxide to products I would use anyway. The "lifeguard" version that comes in a tube to antioxidant lotion. Perhaps the micronized powder version to a serum, or antioxidant oil mix. Has anyone here tried something like this? Suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fawnie.

I've had that site bookmarked as the supplier of micronized zinc. I still haven't discovered whether or not it would be suitable for incorporating into a gel or oil that I have made up. The recipes I've come across thus far for DIY sunscreens have all contained a load of ingredients I have no intention of buying.

I think I may end up buying it and just trial and erroring on my own.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peri,

Have you tried formulating with Cocomin from BAC? That's another ingredient I'm interested in experimenting with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi.

For over 25 yrs. I used SPF 15 sunscreen as a moisturizer after washing my face in the mornings. Never gave it much thought really. I lived in FL year round and always had it on hand. It was cheap and convenient.

In the last year I have been researching anti-aging ingredients and treatments and have become reluctant to put chemicals on my face that don't have "nutrient" properties, so to speak. I still use sunscreen, but now not unless I'm going to be out in the sun for more than 15 min.

For some time I've been considering adding zinc oxide to products I would use anyway. The "lifeguard" version that comes in a tube to antioxidant lotion. Perhaps the micronized powder version to a serum, or antioxidant oil mix. Has anyone here tried something like this? Suggestions?
Try Hara, it's basically what you are planning to make on your own. It's clean, moisturizing, and the zinc will keep your skin clear.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No sorry it's Cococin. Dried green coconut endosperm.

I haven't bought it. Waiting to see if they put it on sale or offer one of their 10% off order total deals.

I recently bought the Coffeeberry forte and added it to the C serum I'm currently using. I'm rolling around the idea of making an AO gel with coffeeberry & the cocomin and...? I don't know. That's why I've been asking on forums if anyone has diy'ed with coconut endosperm in any of its forms.

So far I've just heard about people using SAS's version in their canvas base cream + other SAS ingredients. Not particularly interested in SAS, their actives seem to be overpriced. When I look up things on their forums, there will be posts with the notation "Member deleted" where the member's name is supposed be. Spooky.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LLucy, yeh SAS forum is weird. If the boss doesn't like what is said, she simply deletes the post or the member without a trace.

I have used their coconut endosperm and didn't find it all that exciting. I can't recall what I used it in, but it wasn't very memorable anyway.

Skin Actives Scientific : Coconut Endosperm (Kinetin)

The SAS Mitochondria Booster Cream is something I am using now alternate nights with Green Cream. So far so good with moisturizing and smoothing.

HTH

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Fawnie, I looked up their Kinetin product the other day. From "something I read somewhere" sigh, my impression is their solution is rather weak. With the dried endosperm from BAC, I might be able to make a stronger concentration of kinetin.

While we are talking formulating, has anyone tried using the Monistat anti-chafing gel (or it's CVS equivalent) as a base? It has been mentioned from time to time on the smartskincare site, but ofcourse Dr. T. doesn't allow anyone to give out formulations there. Again, sigh.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yeah Fawnie, I looked up their Kinetin product the other day. From "something I read somewhere" sigh, my impression is their solution is rather weak. With the dried endosperm from BAC, I might be able to make a stronger concentration of kinetin.

While we are talking formulating, has anyone tried using the Monistat anti-chafing gel (or it's CVS equivalent) as a base? It has been mentioned from time to time on the smartskincare site, but ofcourse Dr. T. doesn't allow anyone to give out formulations there. Again, sigh.
Yes, Kassy-A from EDS has used it as a base. (Kassy here at SCT) If I can find the recipe I'll post it here.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try Hara, it's basically what you are planning to make on your own. It's clean, moisturizing, and the zinc will keep your skin clear.
Thank you Illuminara! Yes, that is the idea I have in mind - recognizable ingredients, no compounds I can't pronounce - looks like good stuff.

I still want to try something myself that includes a couple antioxidants, but I'm saving the Hara site to my skin care file for future reference. Is it sold in stores, or only through their website do you know?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you Illuminara! Yes, that is the idea I have in mind - recognizable ingredients, no compounds I can't pronounce - looks like good stuff.

I still want to try something myself that includes a couple antioxidants, but I'm saving the Hara site to my skin care file for future reference. Is it sold in stores, or only through their website do you know?
Hara is sold on the web and locally in Santa Cruz, CA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts