Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused about DIY vitamin c serum! what do I use for a base? and is a base needed? can I just mix everything w/glycerin? I also read of propylene glycol or will water be just as effective. I don't care to use water if the effectiveness is okey. I am overwhelmed by what can be mixed together and if I should just stick w/vitamin c and distilled water?

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I first started I used 1 tsp glycerin, 1 tsp water, 1/4 ascorbic acid. It was very effective but also very very very "sticky" and did take the full 20 minutes to sink in. Even after it was still a little greasy/sticky. I didn't mind it but I really like to grease myself up. Very few have this passion
. Let me go check my pm's I think fawnie sent me a formulation to use rosehip seed oil, water and ascorbic acid.

I deleted the PM with the measurements for adding rosehip seed oil

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
There are other things you can use instead of glycerin if you like to tinker...mireckca uses xanthan gum which she gets at ThePersonalFormulator.com. It thickens a bit without actually doing anything active or interfering with the C.

LEt us know how it works out!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks! while I was waiting for some replies I went ahead and ordered some propylene glycol and l-ascorbic acid. It's just crazy ---all the options! But I know that's a good thing also

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi kiera

You're getting braver and braver!

I use the Propylene glycol too to dissolve the ferulic acid. It should help the ingredients penetrate the skin, is what I read. Let us know how it works out for you!!

I don't use any glycerin or HA either. The vit E oil is emollient enough for me in the summer humidity! Kassy may be able to help out here better than I...

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you! I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, the renova has been good so far since buffering. I'm up to useing every night now, but I have stopped peeling since using some castor oil to take my makeup off. Is that okay? Is not peeling okay?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use distilled water and L-ascorbic acid and like it a lot. I have to mix it every couple of days (keeping it in an opaque jar), but it takes 5 seconds and I know it's fresh. It really firms up my skin and makes it feel awake.

·
Registered
353 Posts
While everybody is considering what to put in their C serums, please just keep in mind that antioxidants work best in teams.. It's best to at least include C + E with water + something to emulsify.. (Each antioxidant that you add, will make your serum more effective, as well as a bit more stable.)

Also, don't put the kabash on the glycerin.. Even tweaking to use just a tiny bit will give you a nice slip to your serum, yet will fully absorb quickly. Again, the amount can be reduced by half..

Off to bed, so I don't get carried away.. (This subject is near and dear to my heart..
)

·
Registered
20 Posts
First, I want to say a big thank you to Kassy for sharing your wonderful recipes and DIY expertise! And thank you to everyone here for your knowledge and helpful advice!

I've been making the DIY C, E, Ferulic serum for about two months, and I can already see a difference. My skin is softer and more radiant than ever before!

I'm getting ready to make a new batch, and I was wondering if it would be okay to add Alpha Lipoic Acid to the C serum. I already have some on hand (from GoW) and would like to give it a try in my newest batch, but I thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
First, I want to say a big thank you to Kassy for sharing your wonderful recipes and DIY expertise! And thank you to everyone here for your knowledge and helpful advice!

I've been making the DIY C, E, Ferulic serum for about two months, and I can already see a difference. My skin is softer and more radiant than ever before!

I'm getting ready to make a new batch, and I was wondering if it would be okay to add Alpha Lipoic Acid to the C serum. I already have some on hand (from GoW) and would like to give it a try in my newest batch, but I thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks!
I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to give you my opinion...

Keep the ALA for another serum, as it won't *improve* the vitamin C serum.. (C is at it's very best kept simple, with just the addition of E, FA + perhaps a B derivative if you have it on hand.)

Keep the fancy stuff for a luxury serum, and leave the worker bee's alone to fight the free radicals! (Vitamin C serum is a treatment, and should be formulated/used with that in mind!)

Only my humble opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to give you my opinion...

Keep the ALA for another serum, as it won't *improve* the vitamin C serum.. (C is at it's very best kept simple, with just the addition of E, FA + perhaps a B derivative if you have it on hand.)

Keep the fancy stuff for a luxury serum, and leave the worker bee's alone to fight the free radicals! (Vitamin C serum is a treatment, and should be formulated/used with that in mind!)

Only my humble opinion.
Thank you so much for the advise. I'll take your suggestion and keep the C serum as is. Maybe I'll check into getting a B derivative. I'll add that to my ever-growing list of ingredients I want to try!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank you so much for the advise. I'll take your suggestion and keep the C serum as is. Maybe I'll check into getting a B derivative. I'll add that to my ever-growing list of ingredients I want to try!
Niacinamide + Matrixyl are good actives to use along with ALA.. (For starters.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts