Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Kassy's latest Vitamin C,E + Ferulic Acid serum and I have acne prone skin. I was wondering if there's anything I could add to the serum that would help my T-Zone acne. I'm also using Retin-A at night and I exfoliate regularly. I have some light acne scarring and the C serum has lightened them slightly, but I've only been using this for about a month.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm using Kassy's latest Vitamin C,E + Ferulic Acid serum and I have acne prone skin. I was wondering if there's anything I could add to the serum that would help my T-Zone acne.
I don't have an answer to your acne question, but regarding the serum itself - Kassay herself has stressed that we should keep the serum simple and not add extraneous ingredients. So - whatever feedback you get from folks, consider using it in another formulation, which you should be able to apply in a layered fashion (assuming there is no compatibility issue), rather than adding it to the C serum itself.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wouldn't add anything to the serum itself, but there is no reason you couldn't apply an acne aid about 30 minutes after the C serum has absorbed.

Just be really careful with some of those acne products, because they can be extremely harsh and are made to dry out the skin, which in turn winds up signaling the sebaceous glands to produce more oil.. (It can be a vicious cycle!)

In reading your post, it seems that you are doing the right thing all around.. What I would offer as a suggestion, is to include all of your T zone (including nose) into your Vit C + Retin-A ritual. And the use of a microfiber cloth a.m. and p.m. can give you the natural exfoliation your acneic skin needs, without drying out the top skin layers. (I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me it's not.. I've been doing that twice a day for 2 years and my 59 year old skin can stand up to any 25 year old.)

It can also be very helpful to skip "ALL" topicals one day per week, which will help to keep your skin more responsive to the nourishing things you are using.

K

Just saw your post now Mireckca, right you are!

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
Question girls......do you think ferulic acid could cause a little purging when mixed in the Vit C? Purging is ok, as it will go away.

What are you thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It seems to me that any acid would/could cause some sloughing of the skin. But I have never used straight ferulic to know how it compares to the other acids like Retin-A or vitamin C.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Question girls......do you think ferulic acid could cause a little purging when mixed in the Vit C? Purging is ok, as it will go away.

What are you thoughts on this?
Ferulic Acid is an anti-oxidant, so wouldn't really have anything to do with skin purging. It's chief function, especially when combined with L-AA and vitamin E, is to protect the cells, and ultimately the DNA from free radical damage.

The lovely skin that results from it's use in a C serum, is from the improvements it is making in our dermis and deep cells. Once that is all in order, and the free radical damage is kept at bay, it will become apparent in your skin tone and texture.

Anti-oxidants in general work best in teams, and the good results are most definitely cumulative.. The great results come from consistent use some months down the road.

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
I was asking because I had a few little white heads
on my cheeks this morning. Maybe I jinxed myself since saying I haven't had a break out since being done with Accutane.

The only thing different is the addition to the ferulic in my serum.

Not to worry, I zapped them with some Retin-A-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Anti-oxidants in general work best in teams, and the good results are most definitely cumulative.. The great results come from consistent use some months down the road.
So Kassy - vitamin C, vitamin E, and ferulic acid are great anti-oxidants to include in a serum. Are there any others that you can think of? I am especially interested in your caution against using green tea extract. You mentioned that a DIY chemist gave a definitive NO on it, and that you do not recall why. The underlying principle would be helpful in selecting other ingredients, though. So, is there any way we can find out?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Sorry to be off-topic but can somebody pls help me where I can buy ferulic acid from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Pumi You cant get ferulic in the uk you have to import it if you want it! Some stuff though for diying your self though you can buy! Even if you cant use it in the vitmain c can always make a seperate antioxident serum to use after the vit c has asorbed into the skin properly!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely think taking a day off from any topicals will help my skin. I need to find a different topical for my acne. Proactiv isn't really working for me. I've tried Murad's acne routine and haven't had much luck with that either. I'll keep looking though. I do know that the texture of my skin has gotten sooooo much better since using the C,E+Ferulic serum. I'll have to look for the microfiber cloth - haven't tried that before.

Does anyone have a suggestion on type or brand they've had success with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I definitely think taking a day off from any topicals will help my skin. I need to find a different topical for my acne. Proactiv isn't really working for me. I've tried Murad's acne routine and haven't had much luck with that either. I'll keep looking though. I do know that the texture of my skin has gotten sooooo much better since using the C,E+Ferulic serum. I'll have to look for the microfiber cloth - haven't tried that before.

Does anyone have a suggestion on type or brand they've had success with?

Thanks!
I use this one. PSF Microfiber Cleansing Cloth, 2 Pack - Cleansers Toners - Naturally Yours Skin Care

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok! -microfiber makes a little more sense, now- after reading Peri's link.

I bought some and use them- but, I still had to wonder what made these mysterious c things so magical and revered! I don't think that I will ever be able to wrap my pea brain around washing with just water, though. That just goes against everything I believe in!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi varya,
The only microfiber cloths that are really effective are the ones that Peri and I mentioned. The cheapo terry cloth microfiber ones are pretty worthless IMHO.

The fibers do the work that the soaps would have. If I have a lot of makeup or sunscreen on, I wash first with oil or another cleanser then use the microfiber cloth to finish. It leaves my skin as smooth and polished as glass, no lie. Then the products that you use afterwards are more effective since they go right to the skin instead of the dead outer scum on top of the skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
353 Posts
So Kassy - vitamin C, vitamin E, and ferulic acid are great anti-oxidants to include in a serum. Are there any others that you can think of? I am especially interested in your caution against using green tea extract. You mentioned that a DIY chemist gave a definitive NO on it, and that you do not recall why. The underlying principle would be helpful in selecting other ingredients, though. So, is there any way we can find out?
Green tea extract is a great anti-oxidant, it's just not compatible in a C serum..

You can make an awesome anti-oxidant serum or cream with green tea and a host of other great actives.. I also swear by great cold pressed oils (avocado, palm, coconut, rosehip), and often throw together a nice nourishing simple serum with one or two of those..

The possibility's are really endless with DIY, honest to Gawd..

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi kassy just wondering can you put things like Green Tea, Seeweed, Coq10 together or how could i find out what what ingrendients can get put together and what cant!

At the moment im ok with mixing in me carrier oils but have been having great trouble as far as finding out what ingrendientsare ok to put together and what are not!?

How much of these ingrendients are ok to put together as well!

Any advice you could give me on this would be great, thanks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Green tea extract is a great anti-oxidant, it's just not compatible in a C serum..

You can make an awesome anti-oxidant serum or cream with green tea and a host of other great actives.. I also swear by great cold pressed oils (avocado, palm, coconut, rosehip), and often throw together a nice nourishing simple serum with one or two of those..

The possibility's are really endless with DIY, honest to Gawd..
Seems to be perfectly compatible in many C serums I've seen sold on the net.
That's not saying the overall formula of those serums is worth a crap though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Seems to be perfectly compatible in many C serums I've seen sold on the net.
That's not saying the overall formula of those serums is worth a crap though.
Okay, I dug out the old email from the scientific guy, and he clearly stated; "do not put grean tea into an ascorbic acid formulation, because it will de activate it"..

And yes, you will no doubt see many things on the net, for a great deal of $$$$$, that aren't worth a crappola.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts