Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried DMAE with good results? I've heard that it is suppose to tighten the skin and reduce sagging. What facial creams contain this ingredient? Is it safe to use? I'm really having problems with crows feet, bags under the eyes and sagging skin. Any suggestions on an unexpensive product?

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Has anyone tried DMAE with good results? I've heard that it is suppose to tighten the skin and reduce sagging. What facial creams contain this ingredient? Is it safe to use? I'm really having problems with crows feet, bags under the eyes and sagging skin. Any suggestions on an unexpensive product?
I am using a DMAE serum from Skinactives. I have not tried any creams with DMAE in it. The serum I am using seems to be pretty good. It does leave my face with a glow after I apply it. They also sell the DMAE that you could add to any face cream if you would rather try a cream base. The only thing with this is you have to be careful it does not make your cream liquify. This is why I went for the serum.

Skin Actives Scientific : DMAE (4%) Serum with Sea Kelp Bioferment
Skin Actives Scientific : DMAE Bitartrate

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Good thinking Peri, I read that too! Also, there is some thinking that DMAE *might* be harmful to skin, so you need to make that decision for yourself after being informed:

Is DMAE safe for your skin?

It advises not using any higher than a 1% concentration of DMAE in any product until further research is done.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Good thinking Peri, I read that too! Also, there is some thinking that DMAE *might* be harmful to skin, so you need to make that decision for yourself after being informed:

Is DMAE safe for your skin?

It advises not using any higher than a 1% concentration of DMAE in any product until further research is done.
I guess I like to live life on the edge-
come on you know me, I will try anything once!!

My face hasn't fallen off yet from using it. I think my serum is 4% too. Maybe I should email Hannah and ask her about the harm of DMAE. You know she always has some comment to make, sometimes good, sometimes........not so

Last response I got from a question I had, lets just say she wasn't very helpful

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I guess I like to live life on the edge-
come on you know me, I will try anything once!!

My face hasn't fallen off yet from using it. I think my serum is 4% too. Maybe I should email Hannah and ask her about the harm of DMAE. You know she always has some comment to make, sometimes good, sometimes........not so

Last response I got from a question I had, lets just say she wasn't very helpful
Yes, Dr Hannah @SAS is frequently less than helpful to me...a little rude in fact. That's why I don't really like to give her any business in spite of some great products that she has. Markie at GardenofWisdom is so much more helpful and customer service oriented. A little less Attitude please!!!

OK keep us posted as to your results with the DMAE!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
15 Posts
DMAE is used in fertility treatments. I'm tossing a coin on starting it once my weight is manageable. I'm at 170, and I need to get down to 140.

It's bothersome-I thought I was supposed to keep weight on, avoid grapefruit, and use glycerin for parts. Opposite.opposite.opposite.

it also has some neural effects. that's why I'm cautious. weird stuff can set off strange headaches.

that helps not at all, right?

It can kick ovaries into high production. Like, from no harvestable eggs, to enough to make an octo-mom out of a 40something year old.

ari

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
hey redthread im just wondering why you are avoiding grapefruit? i know i avoid a lot of acid fruits cause they say that the acid in these fruits dont help with joint probms

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been trying to piece together advice regarding getting pregnant in the late 30's- I'm 39. I have three, but I'd like one or two more.

The usual advice on anything medical, or female, is to avoid grapefruit b/c it affects how medicine is metabolized. I've read not to eat it, since somehow it revs up breast cancer stats. Which, I didn't look into it more, just avoided it. My grandmother on one side, and grandfather on the other died fairly young from cancer. Well, it turns out the "revs up" is from increasing estrogen- which one needs, should one desire to get pregnant later in life.

In the fall I'm going to buy the internet book on getting pregnant, and go to the gyn's office, and start up all that. Right now, it's summer, and I've got three children at home, and no back up childcare. So, I'm working on losing weight- fityummymummy.com---e-mails, not the book, yet- and practicing all the things that one needs to do... I thought the weight helped get pregnant- all the fat women I knew got pregnant like falling off a log, while the thin ones had fertility issues. But apparently, exactly backwards, in terms of insulin sensitivity being a factor in getting pregnant. Fat affects estrogen rates, and so on. Who knew?

Oh- olive oil as a lubricant. This might be TMI, but everything I've ever read says to avoid oil on or near one's privates. Having dryness issues, and apparently a ripped up scarred section of internal anatomy that made intimacy excruciatingly painful---like, dh scared to touch me---I can count the times it took to get knocked up, b/c we would get close once a month, at most--that much pain, and difficulty---I used olive oil in desperation once, having run out of the regular slickener- and then I left it in for a day or two--on the off chance an enterprising ---anyway--the olive oil healed up the ripped up spot, and it's like.......well, I guess what a normal person feels like the first time they do something that feels this good. I almost can't think straight. I look at my husband as we go through our normal day, and I'm, like " Like, why are you talking to me? Why aren't you naked? Why are you watching TV? Don't you have something else you'd like to do? Rightnowthisinstant????" And I'm trying the stuff at the back of women's magazines, when their intrepid reporter tries something. And I must say, half the time it's an exercise in humiliation, embarassment and misery. Exactly one article has been useful- the fish oil/magnesium/ multivitamin/vitamin C protocol. It fixed my skin, and then messed up my hair. But, dude, it totally fixed my skin. It was supposed to work on libido, and things like that. I can't vouch one way or another. Supposedly that takes 6 weeks minimum. I'd have been bald by then.

I would think citrus would help joint issues. Tomatoes, not so sure, but citrus- the orange oil is antibiotic in some way,which tamps down various inflammations. Flossing helps, too, and/or a gargling to clear out one's throat,sinuses and ears. I really try to stay on top of everything inflammatory, since I don't really want to take methotrexate, or gold, or anything, really.

I hope you don't have joint issues. I really, truly hope that was an academic inquiry. I would not want you to be in pain in any way.

ari

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
thanks for the info redthread, unfortunatly i had juvenille arthritous, i was diagonosed with this when i was 17 and after trying out a lot of herbal treatments, methotrexate, etc humera injections have been the only thing that has helped me, i used to get knee flares every 2 weeks but now fortunatly im now though starting to live a full life again, however in a way though becoming so ill has changed me for the better, i def appreciate the small things in life and am just happy to live each day as it comes, and be as happy and healthy as one can be in my situation

yes there are many side effects to being on humera but however these injections have changed my life, for the better, so now i just take the good with the bad

anyway i hope your able to have your 4th child, have you tried acupanture i know my friend had to resort to all sort of herbal remendies when trying to becoming pregnant with her first child

i know my boyfriend would love us to have kids of our own, but i am not sure if i would not risk coming off my meds, however i would love to adopt children or foster

·
Registered
15 Posts
pregnancy is wildly immunosuppressive. After morning sickness- 2 months/6 weeks or so- it's the only time I've felt decent in the last 12 years. The infant's immune system powers down yours, so that it can survive. I had C- sections, so I was on a brisk amount of morphine for a while, and then nursing floods your body with sedatives. I miss how I felt.

I've missed it enough to look into surrogacy. The obstacles are- fetal cells. Apparently the application on a mucus membrane of someone else's "secretions" accustoms your immune system to theirs. So a chimera of your partner and yourself- bka fetal cells- doesn't send your system haywire. But a completely new and alien fetal cell system can do strange things long-term- auto-immune. I don't have this on authority- I've just heard debates and whispers- but that seems to be how anything affecting a humoral system rather than a specific bacterial something or other- gets treated.

I am so sorry that you have been in pain. I am so glad that you have the internal fortitude and grace to grow from the pain.

I will keep you in my prayers and hopes.

ari

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
thanks for the kind words, um yes i have heard that a lof of ra sufferers do go into remmison when they are pregnant, but then saying that i am only 30 and have never even thought about having children as of yet, but hey who knows what the future might hold

dont be sorry about my pain, unforutnatly i put myself through a lot of unnecessary stress when i was in my teens years and hey i suppose in a funny way me getting ill put my stress on the back burner and i learnt how to appreciate the small things in life, but thanks for the kind words i appreciate it

im sorry though to hear about the pain that you have gone through too though

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use DMAE as an active in serums and creams and it does have a tightening effect for me. Like a toner though. I don't think it does any tightening structurally.

Peri, what does it do that you take it as a supplement?

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Peri, have you seen a reversal of the accumulation of age pigment since you started taking it as a supplement?
Llucy- do you use Retin A or Vit C serum? I had a few age spots on my hands, they have gone completely away. The only thing I can contribute it too is from RA and Vit C. I apply both to the back of my hands.

You may want to try that over DMAE.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts